1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How can I up my towing capacity?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ShaLor, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Jun 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    ShaLor

ShaLor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off Road
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    On the first generation trucks, the towing capacity is 3500 pounds, but as I understand there are a few of these trucks out there that the towing capacity is 5000 pounds. The truck I am about to buy, I am assuming only has the 3500 pound towing capacity, is there anything I can do to increase the towing capacity to the 5000 pound mark?

I am about to buy a 2004 Tacoma Double Cab with TRD Off Road package and would like to be able to tow something in the future.
    :confused:

2. Jun 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    buy a Tundra (new style).

3. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    Yes you need to buy a full size for sure man.

4. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Moved over to 1st Gen. I have no idea about 2004 trucks....Good luck finding what you need.

But if you are thinking about needing that much capacity- You are better off with a full size truck- It'll be more comfortable.

5. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Towing capacity is based on the engine, suspension and brakes

6. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    If lifted, it also limits towing capacities!

7. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
  8. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    And alot of other things. On a 2nd Gen-You can get a V6 4x4 without the tow package and that'll pull 3500 lbs. With the tow package-6500. Same engine, brakes, suspension. But they add a different fan clutch, alternator, battery, oil and transmission coolers.

Lots of things play into it.

9. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Yep

10. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    "Engine" is a bit simplistic. You say it like that and I think V6 vs I4- not peripheral parts.

Not to mention- Most tow packages have upgraded trailer wiring and a higher class of hitch.

11. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well sorry for not being specific enough for you:D

12. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I am kinda slow....~peace

13. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    ShaLor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    Oops. Did I NOT have this in the first generation thread? My bad, but that is where I meant to put this.

14. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    IIRC the 5MTs have pretty good trans cooler up front from the factory.

You'll need to switch out the fan clutch (green vs orange...i forget which is which. look on your fan, buy the other one.)

15. Jun 28, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

I've done a lot of towing and you need a full size truck to tow 5000 lbs safely. Yeah, I know people here do it but I said safely and you need to be able to control that load.

16. Jun 28, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Before buying that truck - look at the owners manual. It'll tell you exactly what the towing capacity is. You should never exceed the towing capacity - regardless of the modifications you do to it.

Buy a 2nd generation truck with V6 and towing capacity. That'll give you 6500lb towing capacity. But again....you should never exceed that.

If you want to tow heavier loads - get a fullsize truck.

17. Jun 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    ShaLor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    Actually, I was thinking of towing around 3500 pounds and to do it safely I was hoping for a truck that did 5000 pounds. Since we are new to this whole area, we are taking it in baby steps. The first generation truck is actually huge to us considering our other car is a Mazda Miata and a Honda Civic.

We want to be able to tow a very small trailer and the trailers we are looking at are around 2500 - 3000 pounds. After loading them with camping gear I figure I'd be pretty close to the 3500 pound mark, so a 5000 pound towing capacity would be more than sufficient right now. Jumping up to a full size truck or even the second generation Tacoma, may just be a bit overwhelming. At least that is what my wife is saying right now.

Thanks for the advice on this one guys. It looks like we may not be towing much at all. If we do, I guess I will look into getting a transmission cooler and a new fan clutch. If I gather correctly from this thread that is what I would need.

18. Jul 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    Kritter

Kritter Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 crew cab long bed
    Tint, stereo, and stock size black GEAR wheels, BLHLM, tinted tail and 3rd brake light, satoshi grill mod, tactical redeployment lights under back bumper. fog light anytime mod. HID's,
    I've got an 06 coma, with the 4x4 and towing package, and I have pulled a 5500 pound trailer cross country twice and other various trips. Get the 2nd gen tacoma and a brake controller and go slow....

19. Jul 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    ShaLor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well you guys convinced me. I got a 2nd generation Tacoma with the Tow package. That solves that problem. :)

20. Jul 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I think a lot of it is the hitch... I think pulling from a ball in the bumper limits you there. Just adding the class III hitch can up it. Just my opinion... don't quote me on that

Products Discussed in

To Top