1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How can we know that 2nd gens are of lower quality

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slmgt, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    dfenter84

dfenter84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alamogordo, NM
    Vehicle:
    08 taco TRD stock
    IMO it doesn't matter if we have a 1st gen, 2nd gen, chevy, ford, gmc, kia, whatever... vehicles are built cheap, but they all have potential to last a lifetime with regular upkeep. One taco might last to 90,000 miles while another one that is the same year make and model might make it to 300 + it's not the vehicle, it's the owner. Of course this is just my opinion.

2. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    mattygabe

mattygabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    I think Toyota just struck a deal with Tesla to start producing their new electric sports car there, to help 'Yota get a leg up on everyone else in terms of electric car production.

There are videos online of them rolling the absolute last car off of the line (red Camry), and there's also a video of the last Tacoma, a barcelona red metallic, I believe regular cab. Maybe if im not lazy I'll post those links - pretty neat.

3. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    mattygabe

mattygabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
  4. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Owner and the location of use , for example I bet a truck in Nevada won't have a frame rust off due to road salt and rust . Up north , it's just a matter of time .

5. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    trowlan1

trowlan1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    POS Chevy '03 Z-71
    285 75r16 BFG All Terrains, 15% Window Tint
    I can vouch for that. I'm driving an '03 Silverado right now......POS (See my profile).

Leaks water around water pump all the time, Just replaced a hub bearing last week, headlights will not get level, cruise control is hit or miss, transmission slips, drive by wire hangs up sometimes, AC/Heat went out for a week this Winter, I've replaced 3 power window motors, and replaced the vent window seal once on both sides. O2 Sensor has been F'd up since day 1 (so Check engine light is always on, even if you get reset). The check engine bulb finally burned out, then fuel guage, tachometer, and speedo went out at the same time. I replaced the guage cluster and back came a fresh new check engine light, bright as ever....Yay!!

6. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    dfenter84

dfenter84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alamogordo, NM
    Vehicle:
    08 taco TRD stock
    Yes that is also very true, here in southern NM it's hard to find many cars or trucks with rust anywhere, if the vehicle has been here it's whole life the engine will die off before the body starts to fall apart.

7. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Maybe replace the O2 sensor?New water pump might fix the leak.AC/Heat just started working again out of the blue?It's 8 yrs. old so it's going to need some work once in awhile.How many miles are on it?

8. Feb 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    Steve4887

Steve4887 New Member

Member:
    I've put over 1,000 trouble free miles on a 2006 Access Cab I bought with 109,000 miles on the 1GRfe V6. Every gauge, light, switch, and
    accessory still works. There is a slight vibration when I accelerate from
    40 to 65 miles per hour. My dash does not squeak or rattle.

Since I don't haul heavy objects, I am not concerned about bending the tailgate, or overloading the composite bed. I like the built-in bedrails and
    detachable cleats. I've inspected the under carriage and the heavy duty
    components pleased me.

The V6 engine starts quickly and accelerates with alacrity. I haven't
    added any oil since I bought my truck. I'm not a speeder. I keep my
    rpms at, or under 2,000. I'm getting around 21 miles per gallon on
    the highway and around 16-17 in combined driving.

I sold my V6 1991 Xtra Cab with 144,000 trouble free miles before
    buying the Tacoma. My dad owns a 2003 Tacoma Xtra Cab with a
    four cylinder engine. He had to replace the manual transmission at
    80,000 miles.

I am pleased with my 2006 Tacoma. I think it is built as well as the
    1991 and the 2003. As far the electronic systems used in modern
    vehicles? Government regulations make them necessary. Reliability
    of these electronic components is not an issue with me. I own three
    1980s vintage VW Vanagons and I have never had problems with
    the electronic systems. I expect the Toyota electronic systems to
    be reliable for a long time.

I bought my Tacoma because my research corroborated my experience
    with Toyota products---Toyota vehicles are reliable.

9. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    robszuki

robszuki Member

Member:
    British Columbia Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma sr5 Trd Sport
    Leveler kit, tires and rims, full window tint, audio system
    Also my experience.
    I have owned a 1980 and 2 1981 pickups. I also owned a 1981 supra. I was young and beat them hard. They held up and held their value. I just got my 08 and as I'm a bit older I dont expect to be as hard on it.

However, I think my taco has some great features that still ride and drive like a truck.

If you want a whisper quiet vehicle then buy an electric motor car.
    The taco sounds sweet under throttle imho.
    Loud blower motor?
    Is that your major complaints?

Has toyotas quality slipped on the second gen tacomas was the question?
    From reading a great deal on this board, so far, I would say it hasn't.
    Could things be better?
    They always can.
    Time will tell if they live up to thier reputation however maybe the whiners should drive the truck up a trail, get out and enjoy the view, smell the air.
    The sound of the rain on the roof may just relax you.

Isnt that why we bought trucks in the first place?
    If you want a secure investment for your money any vehicle is way down the list of options.

10. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    OOOh an 81 supra. I bet that was fun. I've had at least a half dozen celicas from around that era. Drove one nearly in two. The automatics had 4.10 (or higher?) gears and would swap right into the 5 speed. Thing would redline at 80 in fifth, but getting there.. busted a couple rings and a handful of spiders on those things driving the piss out of them... yes you can drift an 90 horsepower car. Engines NEVER EVER even showed any wear. Rust on the other hand. Oh yea, and the "ESP" maintenance monitoring system.... never saw a working one of those.

11. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    i have had my truck for over 5 years now, and it has never let me down. i have had little minor problems, but nothing that was the fault of the truck.

12. Feb 12, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods

Well said..

13. Feb 12, 2011 at 12:41 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I am weary over new models, new engines, I am the believer to stick with a proven, reliable design, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
    Take Ford for example, the trucks are doing away with the proven reliable 5.4 Triton engine, the new 6.7 diesel is junk with turbos failure
    Thats one of the reasons I got a Tacoma, its the same basic mechanicals as almost 10 years ago, yes there might be a few problems, but the major, big money parts like engines, trans and axles are reliable.
    If the Tacoma was redesigned with new engines and transmissions I wouldn't buy it, I would sit it out and wait and see if it is relaible or not.
    I like to think us Tacoma Owners are smarter, more intelligent than the average pickup truck owner.
    My 2011 Tacoma is the same truck as the 2005 and i look at the Consumer Reports repair history back to 2005 and the only black marks are the paint-trim on the 05 and the 07 models.

14. Feb 12, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    mac360

mac360 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Long Beach, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR DC LB
    Pro grille, GoodYear duratrac 265/75R16, Method Nv, Cbi front bumper , Icon stage 3 w/RXT leaf pack
    Thats funny my Parents have a silverado and to be honest the thing is junk.. Clunks when you turn the interior isn't anything close to my tacoma.. Its already falling apart. the things a boat with wheels.. my Dad drove my truck and now wishes he would of bought Toyota. The only thing it has over my tacoma is Power a 350..

15. Feb 12, 2011 at 1:13 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    My neighbor has a new Silverado and the engine makes a loud valve ticking noise, he took it back to the dealer many times only to tell him that noise is normal, I told him that noise is not normal, he gets mad at me saying I don't like Chevy, the dealer took him out on the lot and started up new trucks just like his and they made the same noise, so he told me, but i know other guys with the same new trucks and they don't make the tick-tick noise!
    In my opnion the Chevy is the worst truck to buy, I would pick the Dodge over the Chevy, and that front bumper on the Chevy is too big and ugly

16. Feb 12, 2011 at 4:47 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    I dont agree at all. The problem in this country is the unions. It has taken pride in craftsmanship and made it a free for all. Human nature is for the most part, if you do not have to give it 100% then why bother. Unions protect workers that have no pride due to the fear of not loosing their jobs. Get rid of the unions and you will see true craftsmanship come back to U.S.A. I was a union carpenter for many years and its an absolute joke and not only that but highly corrupt. I challenge anyone to show me an honest business agent in any metropolitan area that is not on the take.

17. Feb 12, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    PPM

PPM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Conroe Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma LWB TRD Sport 4x4 Silver Mica
    toyota skid plate, toyota hood shield, toyota stainless steel exhaust tip, tacoma bed mat, color keyed body side moulding, TSB done on rear bilstein 5100 all the way around front set at .085 more to follow
    I had a 1st gen tacoma 1996 ext cab 4wd v 6 engine for elevens years that I purchased new.
    I just purchased new a 2010 tacoma dbl cab lwb sport 4x4 v-6 and can personnelly say the 2nd gen tacomas are of lowering quality in build, cheap clip attachments and short cuts to save money during assembly in many areas of this truck compared to the 1st gen tacoma, but I am still a fan of the tacoma and enjoy driving it, it is just not as bullet proof as the 1st gen.

18. Feb 12, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Maybe we should be asking: "How can we know 2nd gen complaint threads are of low quality??"

19. Feb 12, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    2010Tacoma4x4

2010Tacoma4x4 "Man Ho"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    Tinted windows, Bug deflector, Rain guards, Bed mat, Rear leaf TSB, Bilsteins front & rear (front set @ 1.75), 16x8 chrome Helo wheels, Toyo open country AT P265/75/R16 tires. CBI bolt on sliders. BSP color matched M1 Satoshi grill. BHLM. UWS low profile black powder coat crosover truckbox. Pioneer DVD/CD head unit - 4 channel amp - front mids & highs - 8" sub box.
    I have no complaints with my Taco. I checked it out before I bought it and knew what I was getting. I don't let the little things bother me so much.... squeaks, rattles, ticking noises. I have owned many different trucks over the years and I guarantee there will always be some minor issues.
    Now just be careful not to lean on the roof to hard when washing it ;)

20. Feb 12, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    But in 5 years yours will be worth 5,00 or more than his will be.. domestic trucks have no resale and I am on my 7 th tacoma and the only complaint i have is the seats stain when you look at them..

Products Discussed in

To Top