1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How did the Toyota safety recalls make you feel?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by tacoftw, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Apr 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I heard about it about 3 or 4 months after I got my gas pedal stuck under my floor mat.....I laughed. I wasn't really worried about it, figured I had pushed it forward when I got into the truck (which I had before, just didn't catch those times). By the time I had heard about the recall, I had ordered a set of weather techs, which the clutch would stick under so I trimmed the mats.

the pedal getting stuck wasn't that big of a deal, since it could be avoided as long as you were careful.

I like my toyota and will stick with it.

I would be very pissed if they cut mine. I use the very edge of mine more than a lot of people, I use it to "toe" the pedal. Cutting it would make a difference in how I could do that. Whenever I got to the dealership (rarely if ever), I specifically tell them "DO NOT CUT MY GAS PEDAL"

and they haven't cut it yet

2. Apr 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    jbmccul

jbmccul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    The Toyota recalls made me feel butthurt :pout:

3. Apr 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    Thanks for sharing.

4. Apr 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    jbmccul

jbmccul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    :thumbsup:

5. Apr 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    tacoftw

tacoftw [OP] 5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously

Member:
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4
    5100s, camburg arms, toytec AAL, 285s on m/t 17x9
    Thanks again for the responses guys!

6. Apr 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    The recalls don't bother me but I've been in the business a long time and understand every manufacturer goes through it at some point. I'd rather them come out and admit they have issue (while offering to repair it free of charge) than hiding it.

What I can't stand is the pissing match that goes with trying to get a TSB handled. I don't seem to have had such a fight a head of me with other manufacturers. The leaf spring deal still burns my ass. A truck shouldn't sag at 30K especially when they already offer the solution in other countries. That's marketing getting a louder voice than customer satisfaction (IMHO).

All the manufacturers seem to be adopting some type of "just in time" manufacturing process. This usually leaves some of the R&D up to 1st and 2nd year owners of a generation change. That's to be expected.

7. Apr 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I bought my truck after the gas pedal/floormat problems. I owned a Corolla before that. When I was vehicle shopping I drove into a Honda dealership and the saleman asked what other vehicles I had looked at/test driven. Among other vehicles I mentioned the Tacoma and the RAV4. He was all over it, telling me how bad Toyota's safety record is and I should be careful about buying a Toyota. I told him, "First of all, I drove up to your dealership in a Toyota. Second of all, the NTSB found those issues were operator error, not a safety issue with the vehicles. Last, if the strongest argument you can make for your products is that Toyota has imaginary safety issues, I'm done looking at Hondas." But that also told me he didn't consider the Canyon, Dakota, Ranger, Colorado, several small SUVs, etc. to be competition. In the mind of the salesman, Toyota's products were capable of taking his sales from him.

I never worried about the safety recalls, even before the NTSB made their ruling. They had only something like 8 cases of vehicles accelerating out of control out of the hundreds of thousands of vehicles they sold. If they designed a problem into their vehicles there should have been thousands of Toyotas accelerating out of control.

8. Apr 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I'm very pleased with toyota, having personally owned 3 chevies, and worked in a ford dealership for a few months, I've seen... things. Be happy toyota fixes safety issues as a full blown recall, where Ford hid a brake solenoid failure from the public and just quietly replaced them when you brought your vehicle in for servicing without your knowledge.. (Refering to '08 F-150's was that particular issue)

9. Apr 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I agree with this sentiment in general. My F-150, I didn't feel like corners were cut. In the Taco, I do. The Taco may still be more reliable in the end. But I'd really like to see someone lay some smack down on the Taco competition-wise. They could use a little kick in the ass. They've gotten complacent, and it shows. As for fear of defects, not so much. I fear the idiots around me much more so.

10. Apr 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs

Products Discussed in

To Top