1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how did you decide on your career?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by PLC721, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Apr 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    Fire/EMS Service for sure...i work with 7 other men that would give their lives for me. we grill every shift, relax on our lazy boys and watch movies on our 50" TV, go into our rooms and play black ops/mw...and giggle like little girls because you just dominated your friend next door...that and well...the fires/ems calls, training, discipline, tradition, and making the Chief happy...it's all awesomeness brah.

2. Apr 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    I always like messing with cars...so i decided i wanted to paint and do body work etc...then i had a bad motorcycle wreck. changed my world broke a few bones etc. now ive gone back to school and im working on my bachelors in nursing ill be able to make really good money and pretty much work anywhere with ease...

personally youre 20 i would get a 4 year degree then go join the military as an officer. you can do something there even put in your years for retirement...a lot of people here are suggesting fire etc. here in GA you can be a volunteer fireman you help out when needed and pay into the the retirement and after 20 you get a retirement. then do something else and put in 20 you could have a bunch of retirements vested before youre 50....

if i was 18 i would have so done that...ive got a buddy who is an officer in the navy hes not active so he gets to pick and choose when he wants to work...he has been in germany for the last year. he works as a merchant marine when hes not doing the navy thing making 100k+ a year...

if you really want a sweet gig youd get into the maritime industry as a river pilot they make a percentage of whatever the ships value is to basically valet park it in the port. here once you become a full fledged pilot starting pay is 500k+ the first year

the railroad is a stable career choice during the depression some of the most well off people were freight workers because the freight still has to move because people have to eat and whatnot...my dad is an engineer and makes about 100k a year to sit on the train and go forward and backwards lol

3. Apr 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Don't do it. Seriously. Not trying to disparage the business majors of the world, but I have a business degree that is essentially useless. Business degrees are degrees made of hot air and BS. Get a degree with some meat on it: engineering, science, anything technical. No kidding, if I was sending a kid to college and they wanted to major in business I wouldn't help them pay for a dime of it. If you really want to do business, do it as a minor and get an engineering degree. It'll serve you better in the long run.

You don't know many government workers, do you? Most of them make significantly below what they would make in private industry. My dad worked in state government for 35 years and my first year out of college I made more than he did.

I did a business degree, graduated, found out it wasn't really worth much and on top of that I hated every second of my life working in the business world, and went back to school for another bachelor's. I had loved my geology class when I took it as an elective so I tried another geology course then declared my major. I never regret going back to school, only the time and money I wasted on my business degree. I should have changed my major three weeks into my intro geology class. When you find what you love, you'll know it.

My advice: take a LOT of different classes in your first two years of college. See what you like, see what the opportunities are in each field and where each will be headed in the next 5-10 years. Talk to career services, attend job fairs, do internships and job shadowing. Find something you love, something that you WANT to go to class for, something that is easy for you to pay attention in class and you want to learn more about. Declare that as your major, even if it means college takes an extra year. That extra year will be 100% worth it in terms of loving your life and loving your career. Good luck!

4. Apr 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Bingo.

I was totally serious with the "so 1983" comment.

In the 80s, major financial firms were headhunting MBAs right and left, and anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence could net 6 digits their first year.
    Not anymore.
    The MBA still has some meaning, but the BA is as worthless as a BA in "liberal arts"... It's only positive is that it shows that the prospective employee has the dedication to complete all of the required tasks to complete a 4+ year goal.

5. Apr 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I like this thread. selling Nissan's aint cutting it!

6. Apr 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I was a mechanic certified by 7 manufacturers. I hated it as a career but it was a great hobby. what finally got me out of it was a car accident where I broke my back and can't wrench full time. I went back to school and am working on two degrees and plan on getting my EED. I'll eventually be a teacher and want to work with at risk youth.

7. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    True! Both my universities would allow you to continue through your sophomore year without declaring a major. Some don't let you do that, so you pick a major by throwing darts at a board then go take classes to figure out where you really belong.

8. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:22 AM
    Surfinpig

Surfinpig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 2.7 4x4 SR5
    Avid Offroad light bar, trd skid plate, are cap, billy 5100's
    POLICE! Can't beat them, join them!

9. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I farted in a cup and had someone tell me what major it smelled like

10. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I hate to sound like a recruiter but if you are not really sure of what you want to do the military is definitely something to consider. Even if you are still undecided as to what to do after you get out, the educational benefits will allow you considerable freedom to try different things and not get bogged down in student loan debt.

If the military doesn't appeal to you then I'd recommend a two-year AAS degree from a college that has close ties (and, preferably a paid internship with) the surrounding business community. I've taken three such courses and, not only were they a lot of fun, they all got me jobs. From the AAS you can go right to work or to a higher degree, or both.

Edit:

A third route to a career is to find an entry-level job with an employer who is willing to give hard workers the flexibility to chose their path within the company and to even foot the bill for more education. This might be a rare thing to encounter in today's economic times but it's not unheard of, especially if you are willing to work very hard. I have a cousin who worked his way up to an excellent career in the aircraft industry.

11. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    tacowestley

tacowestley Khmer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    562/626, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Prerunner OR
    8k HIDs, flowmaster, bora wheel spacers 1.25'', debadged tailgate, DRL and foglight anytime mod, BHLM, 09+ LED tailights, painted valence black, mickey thompson classics 16'', switchback LEDs, reverse LEDs, tailgate clamp
    Great topic! 2nd year of college and I have tried out Engineering and Architectural drafting so far...I hope I have enough time to try other stuff too cuz im also getting my ge courses outta the way

12. Apr 28, 2012 at 2:22 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    No!!! There's always a better choice :D

(Just kidding.

Sorta.)

13. Apr 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    I found a job without much in common with any of my real world interests. I made sure it had solid hours, good pay, and is large enough to not go downhill without its employees seeing any signs. I made sure it is challenging, but not stressful.

Throughout my childhood I remember everyone (teachers, parents, friend's parents, friends, etc) saying to find a job doing something I love. Then I started talking to people who have had jobs I thought I would love and have been doing it for 10+ years. Racecar builders, mechanics, fabricators, construction, driving, etc. More often than not the people i talked to and through personal experience i found that jobs like these will drain the passion to do this stuff on your own time.

14. Apr 28, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    I welded in high school ag class in 11th grade and said I could do this for 40+ hours a week and get paid? It always interested me as to how metal could be melted and fused with electricity, needless to say the science behind it isn't cool but any time I weld a section of pipe or support and it holds and is sturdy I'm still impressed by welding.

Most important find something you like

15. Apr 28, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    mrw3685

mrw3685 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX by way of KS
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100s all around, set at .85, Allpro Expedition Leaf Pack, Procomp 7036 17x9, w/Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/17, Extended Steel Braided Brake Lines, Red-Line Hood lift, Relocated Trailer Connection, Trimmed Front Fender.
    I picked one of the things I'd always wanted to do and went for it. Since it turns out Dinosaurs are for dorks, and Male Gigolo is wraught with disease, Fighter Pilot was the next available option.

Besides, Topgun did me in when I was 6, there was no turning back.

16. Apr 28, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    You'r 20 what ever you do right now will change before it's all said and done, number one get an education in the future it will open doors in what ever line of work you decide on.

17. Apr 28, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    I'm 37, and already on my third career. Get at least a two year degree, hopefully a four. It will keep a lot of doors open if you're not sure which direction you're headed. State or federal jobs have greAt benefits and retirement. My brother in law works for the railroad and makes great money, but it's incredibly physically demanding and the hours are crazy. I run a small manufacturing business. Not a ton of money, but it's mon-thurs so three day weekends.
    Dent Wizard is a pretty cool organization. Painless dent removal. They train and you pretty much work on your own.
    I used to own/operate a mobile recon business doing minor paint, touch up, vinyl, interior repairs for car dealers. I could hook you up with an interior kit that I stopped using about a year ago for $1500 You could go right into business for yourself. At s minimum of $50 per repair, even if you only did 4 per day with a five day week, you could gross $1000 per week. Repairs take about 30-45 minutes start to finish. I did really well with it for a few years.

18. Apr 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    MakoTacoma

MakoTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '97 xtra cab DX 4x4
    1) Try a few different jobs/trades to possibly steer you towards something you enjoy and can make money at.
    2) Work hard and without complaint. Keep a good attitude. Ask lots of questions. This will set you above the others.
    3) Get an education if you're not sure. It's always a good fall-back and may help steer you towards something you want to do. Not sure what to study? Management is always a good general degree for about any occupation.
    4) Know lots of people. It's very possible they may someday help you get a good job.

It's worked for me, I love my job and the opportunities it has thrown me. And I make more money than I thought I would with great benefits to go with it. Good luck. :cool:

19. Apr 28, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    Just saw a piece on the news last night that was interesting. Financial analysts compared the , "get a job and work" to "go to college" folks, and on average, if you go to college you make more, but after factoring the cost of college, the "get a job" crowd ends up capable of saving more money at retirement age than the college crowd.

Many of the wealthiest people chose not to go to college and from my experience, I am far better off in my chosen career than ALL of my college classmates.

One thing to consider also, government jobs come with a pension. Even if you go to college and get a great job, the day you retire that job in most cases will never provide you another penny, while a career with a pension keeps on giving.

I think if you are lost in where you want your life to take you, military is by far a better choice than college. You get paid with full benefits, travel and are exposed to things you never would be otherwise. College is just a money sponge now a days and indeed, so 1980's. If you need college for a career you have already decided on, that is one thing but to go to college just to go to college, very poor financial choice.

20. Apr 28, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Because engineering is cool and challenging.

Products Discussed in

To Top