1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how did you decide on your career?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by PLC721, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Apr 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    sup. in same boat. kinda sucks.

kinda wish i would not have taken a brake from school. also thinking about starting part time in fall.

2. Apr 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Taqoma

Taqoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, Camburg LT, Fox 2.5x8 coilovers, Fox 2.0 bumps, Deaver e30 leafs, Fox 3.0x18 triples, Avid sliders, Yaesu 2900R, Pro Comp 7089 16x8, DDM 55w HID Hella 500FF, DDM 35w HID headlights, Magnaflow 11255 muffler, PLX DM-100 OBDII, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost gauge, Flex Pod gauge mount, LSK tube bumper, McNeil fenders, Fiberwerx bedsides, 285/75/16 Toyo MT's
    internship. find out what you like and don't like about an industry you have interest in. you'll find your niche...won't really know till you get there IMO

3. Apr 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 You gonna eat that taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    and Arabic

If you can speak Arabic fluently any Gov. Agency will hire you

4. Apr 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Your career will find you no matter what you do. I went to college to be an auto mechanic and hated it. My best friend went to college to be an architect and hated it. Twelve years later we're both project managers in the construction industry for completely different types of companies and neither of us got the other one involved.

My wife has a teaching degree and found her niche in insurance.

You never know where you're going to end up. If in my senior year of high school you told me I'd be in the construction industry and going to an office everyday I woulda laughed my butt off at you. But, here I am and I'm happy.

5. Apr 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    i went to school 1 year and did a toyota program and discovered working on trucks is a hobby and i hated doing it day in and day out. i sure learned how to fix anything on my truck tho :)

6. Apr 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    lol. Same here. When I got out of school and realized it was the same thing day after day and the problems were so predictable, I couldn't stand it. Of course I worked at a Ford dealership so you can imagine how that went. :rolleyes:

7. Apr 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    any electricians here? if so can you tell me a little about it?

8. Apr 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    My dad has been a electrical contractor for over 20 years now. Just has a small business only about 10 employees

9. Apr 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Nothing wrong with being interested in management but if that's what he wants to do he'd probably be better off starting work with an associate's in management. The job experience is more important than the degree in business admin. Unless he's going to Wharton or something on that level where the name of the school is getting him interviews.

My parents didn't give me a dime for school. I've done all my schooling while working. But there was never a question in my house about going to college, it was assumed I would be going (in fact the suggestion I wouldn't, which I made about my sophomore year in high school, was met with swift and loud condemnation). I don't believe paying for school for your kids is mandatory; even in majors like engineering or science I wouldn't pay for all of it- probably not even most of it. Kids should work their way through college, work hard to earn scholarships, they should struggle, they should have to follow a budget and figure out how to pay their rent if they drop their paycheck at the bar. You don't help a college-age adult by coddling them and paying their way. School is an investment in your career, so why would you spend $50,000 or more on a degree that is unlikely to give you the skills you need to get a job? Finance and accounting gives you actual skills, sciences, engineering, even operations management- which is heavy in statistics- gives you actual skills that are marketable. Business administration.... I spent 4 years being taught the exact same stuff I learned in intro management my freshman year, and without an MBA the degree really doesn't mean much; 2 years of job experience would have been significantly more meaningful than my last 2 years of business admin degree work. My friends who were education majors? If they didn't get a master's degree they aren't working as teachers. In fact, most of them aren't working at all. Music majors? Not one professional musician among them. If you're a good enough musician to pursue it in college, you're good enough to get scholarships to pay your way. There's nothing wrong with pursuing those majors so if a kid wants to major in those things, AWESOME, they should go to school and have fun. But they can pay for it. I'll make an investment when they select a major with a payoff on that investment.

10. Apr 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    And I bet that turned out to be more expensive than you bargain for... :D

Shoot, I started college as a Pol Scy major. Dropped out during my second year to join the Army. Once out of the Army, I had realized that unless you go to Law School a pol scy degree is just a fancy napkin. When I went back to school I went in as an Economics Major (in Soc Sciences, to avoid math :eek:) then swaped over Economics in the Businnes Dept ( A lot of math, but I overcame the fear). Manage to somehow get a B.A. in Hotel & Rest Management and during the third week of my 400 hour internship learned that I HATED IT. Went back and got a second degree in Accounting...

Had I known then what I know now, I'd gotten that Pol Scy degree, minor in Criminal Justice or Criminology and become a cop. Though I'm in Law Enforcement, I'm FAR from being a cop.

BTW, my dad was an Accountant (first in his family to go to college and earn an MBA) so I knew a thing or two about accounting. It can't be BORING as heck, but being a Govt Auditor pays quite well, the hours are easy (37.5/week) and the benefits are second to none.

11. Apr 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

Chinese? Another guy on here said something similar on another thread. I just honestly can't remember if it was you or not. :eek:

Yea that one is a given! I'm sure the pay is awesome, but Arabic doesn't really interest me. In these situations, it all just depends what is happening around the world I guess.

When this year started I had applied for State Trooper here in TX. I was the only one to pass the first exam (out of five guys :rolleyes:) and passed the polygraph with out a problem.

Soon after I withdrew my application cuz I didn't want to leave school half assed. That's not the way I was raised. ;)

Spoke with the recruiter and he just told me "We'll always be hiring!"

That was one of the few jobs that peaked my interest, but I'm sure they deal with friggin' idiots from time to time out on the road. What really interests me though is the fact that it's not the same thing every day for the most part.
    AND they get their own cruiser. SO I wouldn't have to waste $$ on gas to go to work and back. :laugh:

But we'll see, I'm sure some more opportunities will come along.

12. Apr 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    hpvds

hpvds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    Any technical/science degree and since I'm already biased, if you can pull it off and are interested in the subject go for engineering. Its 4 years of hard work but in the end its worth it and a engineering degrees doesn't lock you into engineering, its a degree in problem solving essentially.

Some of my best friends that graduated from the same school as I with the same degree as I (Aerospace engineering) are working/continuing school in various different disciplines. Just what I can count now I have friends working for Goldman Sachs (as a market analyst or something like that), Process engineering at a foundry, a few in Management, most in engineering design and one joined the Navy and went to OTS for nuclear technician on Submarines or something like that. Additionally I myself went on to continue to study Aero engineering and another went on to get a law degree from NYU, and a few continued on to obtain their MBA's.

Lastly of my graduating class (1 year ago almost to the date) all my friends that got engineering degrees now have jobs, I can't say that about others who got business/management degrees. If you can combine engineering smarts with good people skills you can go pretty much where ever you want.

13. Apr 30, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    Jedi7Taco

Jedi7Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC LB sport Indigo Ink
    Stuff...

14. Apr 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

15. Apr 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    went into school for Biology, said fuck that, found out I was good at accounting and finance, so settled in that field.

College is the best place to be exposed to a lot of different professions. If you dont go to college, you will not find truly find out what you may be good at.

16. Apr 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    How long were you into the Bio degree before you changed it?

17. Apr 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
  18. Apr 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    two years. quit when i first encountered organic chem

19. Apr 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    When I graduated high school I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do so I went to trade school to be an electrician, almost done. Now I am going back to school for mechanical engineering because that is what I officially want to do for the rest of my life.

20. Apr 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    That's great, and the best part is that the time that you spent as electrician is not wasted time at all - you will always be able to use those skills and experience even as a mechanical engineer.

Products Discussed in

To Top