1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How did you keep speaker wires separate from the power?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tommymac, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Jul 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    tommymac

tommymac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB Sport
    So I made a decision on my stereo upgrade. ('14 DBL cab, Entune Plus, Non JBL, no NAV.) I decided to use Crutchfield as a vendor. Their support and return policy is what sold me. I was unclear as to what speakers would fit, mainly concerned with the clearance between the speaker and door panel. So I went with 4 JBL GT7 series speakers. No Problem returning these if someone has a better suggestion. Deciding on speakers was tough. The JL audio line out converter - CleanSweep, to integrate my stock HU. For a amp I choose the Crutchfield store brand, Sound Ordnance M4050 50W x 4 Car Amplifier. They guarantee the amp for 3 years and the price is nice.
    So my gear should be here today and I'm gonna start tearing apart my Taco as soon as I finish this post. My BIG question for you guys is, What is the best way to keep the power and speaker wire runs separated? I hope to put both the Amp. and the SoundSweep under the front passenger seat. Saving the space under the drivers seat for a future Subwoofer. I need to run the speaker wires from behind the HU to the SoundSweep and then from the Amp to the speakers. And of coarse the power cable's to the battery.
    How have you tackled this challenge? Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jul 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Run power down one side of the truck.

Run speaker wire down the other side of the truck or down the middle.

3. Jul 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    HTX

HTX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do the 14 Dbl cabs have the air vents under the seat? Just curious because my 13 did, so I didn't want to put my amp there.

4. Jul 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    tommymac

tommymac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB Sport
    Ya, I havn't taken the seats out yet but perhaps it will be do-able. The speaker wires to the AOC will be traveling under the center console. So I hope to run the front spk wires from the amp down the same path under the center console. I think once the seats are out it will be obvious where to run the rear speaker wires and the amp power wires.

Yes it does. Perhaps I should be more concerned about this. My thought was to place the Amp on some sort of thin plate, maybe aluminum, and then over the air ducts. I don't see a major concern, I would think it would help keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Perhaps I'll just block off that air duct as I don't think people will ride in the back seat much. Maybe someone could enlighten me on this.

Does anyone know what this is? It is located under the rear most part of the center console. The hole in the back looks to be a cooling fan.

IMG_1179.jpg

5. Jul 24, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'm guessing that's your power inverter but not sure.

And run the power down the same side as the battery and you won't have issues. The further away the speaker wire is from power wires the better.

Also I placed the amp right after my floor ac vents under my seat. I never use the heater in the winter here in AZ and during the hot summer the AC on the floor keeps my amp nice and cool. I used some chrome sleeves to raise it up about 1 inch to clear the carpet.

6. Jul 25, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    AEmedic

AEmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    I ran them down the same side. I just made sure that the power was run down on channel and the speaker wire were run down the other. You can also keep to the outsides of each channel. I have never had any trouble with done this way.

I put the crossovers under the front seats and the amp is mounted to the Stealthbox behind the rear seat.

7. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    pcabinatan

pcabinatan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Avondale, Arizona
    K&N Intake, 35w 6K HID's, Plastidip badges
    I'd be more worried about separating rcas then speaker wire. The rcas car much less voltage and will transmit noise.

8. Jul 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    AEmedic

AEmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    I ran the RCA's on the other side of the truck to stay away from the issue all together.

Products Discussed in

To Top