1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do all 5 tpms go out?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06RedComa, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Sep 25, 2020 at 1:29 AM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    I have a 2012 and it only has 4 sensors, spare is just a regular valve stem.
    I thought the 2016+ came with 5 sensors.

Groan Old likes this.
  2. Sep 25, 2020 at 4:08 AM
    cmoore

cmoore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. The TPMS in my '06 started flashing about 6 months ago and then suddenly stopped flashing after about a week. About two weeks ago it started blinking at me again. After 14+ years I'm sure the batteries are dead. I'm going to give Costco a call and see what they can do.

3. Sep 25, 2020 at 4:12 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    My daughter's Yaris is almost 11 years old. About a year ago one of the sensors died (had it replaced). Just yesterday a 2nd took a dump.

No way they'll all fail at once. Perhaps with the age of the sensors they're suggesting it's worth doing all of them now

4. Sep 25, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    Groan Old

Groan Old Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Newton NC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2011 SR5 4X4,Double Cab, V6/auto
    IDK about the 2016+, but my 2011 only has 4 sensors, spare is a steelie and just has a rubber stem.

When I bought my 2011 2-1/2 years ago, it still had the OE tires (only 60K on the truck), and I put new tires on it. I didn't change the TPMS sensors, and one quit about a week later, so the TPMS light came on and stayed steady for the 2-1/2 years until about a month and a half ago, when it started blinking on start-up, and then would go steady after a few miles. I bought new wheels and tires a month ago and had new TPMS sensors installed in the new wheels, at Discount Tire. Their sensors are all $60 each, but they gave me a "Four for Three" deal, so I only paid for three of them. I only bought my tires from them, got the wheels elsewhere, but I have bought lots of tires over the years from them and am a good customer. You ought to ask them about buying three and getting one free. Your '06 probably has only four sensors, check and see if your spare has a rubber valve stem.

It's recommended to replace all the sensors at once, because they don't all fail at one time. You figure out which one has failed, replace it, mount the other tires with old sensors, and sure as hell, about a week later another one will quit. How can you tell which one it is? (you can't), so you either put up with the panel light, or you take a guess and dismount a tire and replace that sensor; if it's not the right one....... So, replace them all every 2nd or 3rd set of tires, depending on how much you drive.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  5. Sep 25, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    The batteries last about ten years so the sensors will die close to each other.

6. Sep 25, 2020 at 6:17 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    The Autel TS401 can do the same thing, and you can sometimes find them for $50 shipped or less, used on eBay. Free lifetime updates with no registration needed.

Autel TS401 TPMS Active Car Diagnostic Reset Tool Scanner

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Sep 26, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    Sxottie

Sxottie Wrenching is therapy, right??

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mystic, CT
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Tonneau hard cover, mud guards, yellow fog light tint, redline hood lift kit, remote tailgate lock, bed lights, window tint, invisible bra, TRD wheel cap decals, tailgate letters, blackout badge kit, LED cab lighting kit, bed hooks, red caliper paint.
    I tried the AUTEL TS501 and it will only activate/program AUTEL sensors. I tried to read the new HUF sensors I purchased with for my new wheels and it failed to work with HUF sensors. The ATEQ VT36 worked perfectly. Sometimes you gotta pay a bit more to get what you need.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    NCAmother likes this.
  8. Sep 28, 2020 at 10:07 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    True, but your original post only mentioned a tool to read TPMS status. The Autel does that, at lower cost.

If programming is needed, then I agree that the Autel is limited, and the ATEQ might be a better choice.

To Top