1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do i paint???

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by yotacoma12, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    yotacoma12

yotacoma12 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIKE
    sd
    Vehicle:
    v6 dcsb 2nd gen
    avid offroad lightbar avid step rails
    Just bought a set of avid step rails and a light bar. How do i clean, prime and paint them properly? What is the best apint to use for living in northern michigan on them???

2. Apr 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    I painted my sliders with Rustoleum and my light bar professionally done to a color match.

If you choose to spray the step yourself I would suggest buying some Enamel or of the sort kind of paint. I did 2 light coats of both the primer and the Ultra-Flat black and they are lasting. I would suggest putting it on a little heavier around the steps as well as on the steps.

Other options can be powder coating as some have done with the lightbar. Just take your time and rough the raw steel up with some sand paper as a safety measure. Its up to you.

3. Apr 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    onesixseven

onesixseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Santa Clarita California
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3.5" Kind Coilovers Total Chaos UCA's 31" BFG A/T's 8000k hi/lo HID kit Flowmaster Super 44 5% tint all around exterior LED's Deck Plate Mod bedlined flares debadged Full Fosgate/JL Audio Stereo
    clean the surface with alchohol, then prime with clean metal primer, a darker one. 2 light coats but be sure to cover everything. then 2 light coats of your color followed by one medium one. then clear coat. 1 super light clear coat, followed by a medium one. and let each coat dry like 10 minutes. then let the finishe dproduct dry for a couple days to be sure

4. Apr 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C

Painting professionally haha?

Products Discussed in

To Top