1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I take out the stock tweeters

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DanGer, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I'm sorry if this is a novice question but I just replaced my stock speakers with a set that has a tweeter so i want to take out the stock pair. I would just disconnect them but the harness that the tweeters connect directly to is the same that runs to the speakers so if I disconnect them the whole thing loses signal. So before I try my first option (cut off the wires and solder them together) I figured I'd ask on the forum for some experienced solutions.

2. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    So i was looking for an answer to a different audio question and did what i had been trying to do for days. Thanks to L8Rmike, i pulled this from it to help anyone else:

Yeah the tweeters and wired in series with the door 6x9's not parellal.
    - I completely removed my stock tweeters, cut the four wires going to the door side of the tweeter connector and soldered the same colored wires together.
    - If you don't want to cut the connector off, then make a set of jumper wires and connect the same color wire together on the connector.
    - Or cut the connector off the tweeters and make it a jumper, solder or splice the same colors together and reconnect to the door connector.
    Hope this makes sence and helps.

3. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    nevermind

4. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    I replaced them with 4 way speakers. What do you mean disconnect the tweeters and not plug them back in?

5. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    jbrooks

jbrooks Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I bought infinity tweeters to replace the stock ones. I also have alpine two way speakers in place of the factory crap.

The infinity tweeters made all the difference. The location makes them the predominate tweeters that I hear.

I had to make a mounting bracket for the new tweeters. I had to mount it behind the bracket that holds the stock ones, since the infinity tweeters are not flat like the stock ones. I cut the wires off the stock tweeters; the black and read wires are standard colors and matched up with the same colored wires of my tweeters. I doubled checked this with Crutchfield's.

6. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    sooooo, if I'm not puting in new tweeters, anyone know a safe way to remove the stock ones?

7. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    why would you completely take out the tweeters? it will make the other speakers sound really bad. it will echo big time

8. Jan 8, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    you can replace the stock 6 1/2" speakers and still leave the stock tweeters in.

9. Jan 8, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I don't know about an echo, but it would remove most of the high frequency reproduction, so you wouldn't be getting much in the way of high vocals and snares and stuff like that. It would be all midbass and be muddy.

The OP purchased a set of 4ways, that have their own tweeters with the main driver, so has no use for the stock ones.

10. Jan 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    oh ok i see what you are doing:). youre trying to make it sound alot more mellow and bass...ier lol

11. Jan 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Yes, basically, all of the remaining twangy, bad quality sound is coming from the stock tweeters. I'm just trying to figure out how to properly remove them. could i simply cut the wires off the speakers and reconnect the same color wires? Thanks all

Products Discussed in

To Top