1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I wire my shell lights

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cmf21, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    cmf21

cmf21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    Bought a used Snugtop shell today for my 04 dc. How do I wire my lights up. Its dark out and I haven't taken off my taillight to look. Do I need to get some sort of harness to attach to the tail light so when I take the top off, I just disconnect the shell wiring or should i just make my own? Pictures didn't turn out that great. I also need to get a lens for the dome light, anyone know where I can get one without going to the dealer?

006.jpg
    007.jpg

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    avic-d1 sirius tuner Ipod adapter
    Don't take it to the dealer, they're going to kill you on it and most of them will bring in a sub anyway. Go to any car audio or accessory shop. Any place that installs stereos, remote starters etc. will be able to wire that easily. Depending on where you are I might be able to recommend one to you. GL

3. Mar 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    99yodataco

99yodataco Little Taco that could

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    New Mexico, it's just a little bit fresher.
    Vehicle:
    MGM 21 TRD OR 6sp MT
    Soon...
    When i bought my truck, it had a shell on it and was wired to the break light wire and the ground wire at the harness by the frame rail. I did my interior light, was battery operated, I ran a wire to the harness and hooked it up to my marker light wire. I had to modify the wiring by getting some male/female GM 3 prong OEM style connecters (for a clean look) from a local auto parts store, connected them onto the existing wires and i was done.

4. Mar 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
    What I did was wire mine into the trailer lights. I used a trailer 4 prong connector and just mated them up.

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    can you check exactly which wires go where? I just did mine with a flat 4, and thought I had it, but realized my 3rd brake light blinks.

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    ok so I rewired everything last night to get rid of the blinking and it was very easy!
    i pulled the left tail light to access the brake controller harness. you'll see one side says "to car" all I did was splice into the wires from there.
    I cut the "stop" wire and the "ground" about 5 inches from the harness on the "to car" side attached them back together with the shell lights in there too. I also ran a ground from my shell dome light to the same ground, and ran a power wire right from the battery along the bottom of the body, into the rear of the tail light.
    you'll also find a hole under the bed rail in the back corner that you can slip all your wires through.

hope this helps!

Products Discussed in

To Top