1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do we feel? Fox coilover package with TC UCA's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by frankakashane, Oct 1, 2011.

?

Fox Suspension or ICON?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2011.
  1. Fox Shocks front and rear

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ICON shocks front and rear

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Oct 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    So you decided to make a bullshit comment, A. Not knowing much of what your talking about, and B. just by "looking" at other peoples vehicles??? Way to go!

2. Oct 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    What business would you do with me anyway?

3. Oct 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Well I was doing business with your mom a weekly basis but I am not going to anymore... Guilty by association!!!

LMAO J/K

4. Oct 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    Skyed03

Skyed03 Sick,.. Bro....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Nor, Cal
    Vehicle:
    Runner
    OK, glad we are all being mature here ^^^. Im not posting to bash on anyone on here and this is only my opinion so take it or leave it. For starters i have never done business with DSM, however from everything i have read they are awesome people to deal with and have great customer service. Now that being said i have seen some of the custom valving they have produced and it is better then the off the shelf valving that is supplied by others, no doubt. However i have seen what a set of the same coilovers can do on the same truck, with the same driver, under the same conditions with a valving profile done by someone else preform better hands down. I am not saying that the valving supplied by DSM was off or wasn't right, however it was definitely improved upon. For the average person the combination of customer service, good deals and the option for better valving from DSM is extremely hard to beat and most likely you will never need more. However keep in mind there are other people out there that can come up with a valving profile that may work better for your application. Again this is just my opinion on the subject so take it for what you want.

5. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Good evening everyone....
    This is Sonny,...Marco usually takes care of all of this forum stuff..
    First of all...Absolutely everyone is entitled to there own opinion and
    that's why we live where we live in the good old US of A..
    Second: TW member's I appreciate all of you coming to our defense....
    Its means a lot to all of us at DSM...
    3rd: I have never claimed to be some valving genus by any means and to be totally honest with you most of the time we do not get very much feed back and we never know which way to go...Example: We just did a KOH rig for a friend of mine and he must have talked to 10 different people before he came to me and said I want this valving and I chime in with are you sure..His response yeah, my buddy said...And after re-valving the shocks 4 times and making some other changes, we are right back were we had suggested to start with in the beginning.Everyone wants something different and I will be the first person to say I am no where near perfect at setting up the valving on a car that most of the time I never see.
    I have a base point to start from and that is why we offer to re-valve the shocks as many times as you ask us to, whether the customer ships them to us (Customer Pays Shipping) or runs them by the shop...
    All we care about is the customer is happy....
    Long story short...We do the best we can and that's all we can do and
    try and keep everyone happy....
    Someone posted a picture of a Jeep Speed that we have been trying different valving combo's with and it was noted that rear was way to soft...Just firmed up the valving today in the shocks just like we said we would...I will make sure in the future not to post any vid's until we are done..
    Have a good night and again Thank you to all of the TW members out there...
    Sonny

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    second and third this one everything procomp besides my wheels is coming off of my truck as soon as i can afford to they make and sell shity designed and engineered lift kits.

7. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    frankakashane

frankakashane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    06 White 4x4 TRD SR5 O/R Pack
    Icon extended travel shocks front~Icon resi extended travel rear shocks~Alcan rear springs~total chaos UCAs~Wheelers super bumps front and rear~Diff drop~steel brake lines~Alpine single din stereo~blacked out emblems~front 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers~carrier bearing drop~TRD cat back exhaust
    well wouldjya look at that? icon has taken the lead in the polls.:D

8. Oct 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    Skyed03

Skyed03 Sick,.. Bro....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Nor, Cal
    Vehicle:
    Runner

Marco/Sonny, Again I wasn't trying to pick a fight, or attack DSM in any way, just merely throwing my opinion out there. However a lot of it, like you said falls back on the end user. If they don't give you proper feedback it makes your job extremely difficult and you can only get it so close. I have been fortunate enough to have had a fully tuned king setup on my full size dodge 2500. It's one thing to have some cool looking king 2.5's under the truck but it's another having the valving dialed in on them and being able feel and see the difference. A lot of people don't seem to realize that just the slightest 1/4 turn adjustment on a set of bypasses, or just one shim in a valve stack can make all the difference in the world when it comes to valving. Again, this falls back on the end user not taking this into account and just leaving it as is. We are talking about a 2.5" bodied shock under a truck that doesn't weigh very much... it should haul ass with the valving potential, which can only get so good with minimal customer feedback. It doesn't help you guys when someone orders custom valved shocks, supplying no feedback on how to improve upon them, then go around telling people that they were custom valved by DSM when the truck isn't doing what it should be doing for the amount of shock under it. Again, end user just not knowing any better. Based on everyone i have talked to, who have delt with buying parts through DSM, i have never once heard a complaint about you guys, and that truly says a lot for your customer service. I think people should take advantage of your customer support and give you guys some feedback and let you play with the valving a little more because you guys sell awesome products and have a ton of people here and elsewhere who could give constructive feedback.

9. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:02 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I have never claimed to be mature nor do I think anything said on these forums should be taken to heart. Hence the "Your moms service" joke. The joy of the internet is that you can turn your computer off and go to a differant site if you dont like the banter.

<Directed at no one in general and specifically everyone at the same time>
    Not having dealt with vehicle suspension but having a long history of screwing up my roadracing motorcycle's suspension I can 100% agree with Marco and Sonny in saying that most of the time when it comes to suspension the customer is not always right, in fact they are usually flat out wrong in what they want you to do.

People like DSM have a history of tuning suspension for our (and other vehicles) and generally know a good point to start with once you tell them what your looking for and how you plan on using it. The other side of being a good suspension tuner is being a great interpreter because they have to take the nonsense garbage told to them by the customer and try to decode it into what the customer actually wants the vehicle to do. I am sure DSM will valve it any way you want but in reality it would probably be wise to listen to them to start with and go from there.

I made the mistake of not listening to my suspension tuner and tried to force the bike to change into something it couldnt and i paid the price to the racing gods

I for one am very happy with my products from DSM and hope to get them some feedback on my suspension set up here soon.

10. Dec 7, 2011 at 3:30 AM
    frankakashane

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    Icon extended travel shocks front~Icon resi extended travel rear shocks~Alcan rear springs~total chaos UCAs~Wheelers super bumps front and rear~Diff drop~steel brake lines~Alpine single din stereo~blacked out emblems~front 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers~carrier bearing drop~TRD cat back exhaust
    finally going to make it happen. Icon, after much consideration, has won me over. End of deployment is in sight.

Final lift set up:

Icon extended travel c/o front
    Icon 2" rear resis
    wheelers 2" AAL
    T/C uca's
    front and rear brake lines
    diff drop kit
    carrier bearing drop kit

11. Dec 7, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Just curious as why everyone gets extended brake lines? Just bend the bracket a little

12. Dec 7, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I would really consider doing a full leaf pack. I had an aal ( toytec ) and when I switched over to the Dakar/ leaf set it was night and day. I found that even if your front suspension is much smoother ( coilover setup ) it wont feel like it because when that bump/dip hits your rear wheels that stiff aal setup will make feel hard. In other terms your suspension will only feel as smooth as BOTH your front and rear is done up.

13. Dec 7, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    MBTaco21

MBTaco21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    lol, are you serious?? That fox set up blows pro-comp set up out of the water.

14. Dec 8, 2011 at 3:27 AM
    frankakashane

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:

I have considered it lots, and have decided that i will eventually do the full leaf. Right now its just not in the budget to pony up that much more.

15. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    It's not like ext brake line are expensive...

16. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Pair of channel locks and 3 min under the truck is free :rolleyes:

17. Dec 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    is that all it actually is? cause i aint buying some if i can really just bend the brackets

18. Dec 15, 2011 at 2:49 AM
    frankakashane

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    Finally made the purchase. Spent a little bit more than i had originally planned on haha. I got:

Icon extended travel coilovers
    Icon Rear resi 2" Shocks
    alcan leaf springs
    TC uca's
    rear diff drop
    steel brake lines all around
    carrier bearing drop

I am excited to get this on the taco! Any thoughts?

19. Dec 15, 2011 at 2:59 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Sick man, you're set! Hopefully you wont need the carrier bearing drop but i'd wait to see if it's even needed. Also, the front diff drop is useless on the 2nd gen's. With the Icons your CV's will be fine!

20. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    That's all I did to mine. Works fine... I have no swaybar up front either

Products Discussed in