1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you drive 5 speed manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gyprat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Feb 19, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    to me it feels like there is no perfect balance between 5-10mph. like at 7mph is to slow for second and its tough to get it into first so it makes for a jerky transition in stop and go traffic. i just stay a bit further back and deal with it. i dont think there is a problem per say but i just think 1st is "odd" and could be better

2. Feb 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I didn't read the whole thread so if this was already said-sorry-I had a Camaro with a 5-speed manual..and I discovered that I could eliminate the reverse grinding problem by doing this: come to complete stop-shift into 1st-then shift into reverse. I guess the shift into 1st syncronized the tranny for reverse doing that. Far as the 1st gear thing-try shifting into 2nd-then into 1st instead of neutral to 1st. I found going from a gear to a gear helped a lot.

3. Feb 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    nynightmare

nynightmare Hero

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    Blacked Badges
    My 2008 single cab 5spd engages fine into first up to 11mph.

The engine vibration at 15 MPH only makes sense if your in 3rd gear or higher.

Learn to match the pedals when downshifting first... I do however agree that driving my tacoma is very different from my friend's jetta in terms of the clutch but I'm over it.

4. Feb 19, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    Can't put on first unless on a dead stop? So have any of you ever heard of double clutching? Just saying.

5. Feb 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    read the thread. double clutching doesnt help. double clutch and rev matching helps some but still not smooth

6. Feb 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    Some people think they know how to double clutch. And they will argue till they die they are doing it right while they are actually doing it wrong.

Not saying that's what's going on, but doing it the right way should not cause any problems at all. Any one who knows how a trannie works will tell you.

Edit: The rev matching part, that is where people can do it wrong. Driving a semi gives you heaps of experience in this type of stuff.

7. Feb 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    im 17 and i have driven my 2wd 5 speed for a year now. It was my first stick vehicle to learn on, and its not too tough. Honestly i understand that getting into first is hard, but usually i just tap the brakes and it slows it down enough to slide in. Im not completely confident that it will ever go into first smoothly, but i have already gotten used to it. My stepdad who drove a 5 speed ranger for 15 years has told me that my truck has a much smoother tranny than his old ranger. just my .02

8. Feb 19, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i drove dump truck on a farm for 4 years. I have a class b cdl. I know how to double clutch.

you shouldnt need to double clutch on a syncroed tranny. why even bother with syncros... It actually feels like the syncro is what is causing the problem. if going 9mph and trying to go into 1st i can hear the tranny syncro whine. it sounds like the the synchro is spooling up to match the speed of the dog gear but possibly not enough friction to do so, so it is not matching the speed. if the synchro does not line up it seems like it is actually blocking the dog gear from engaging. double clutching would work but like im saying if the syncho doesnt line up double clutching to match gear speed wont work if the synchro doesnt align.

Edit: what i mean is the synchro gear conical clutch is not providing enough friction to release the baulk ring.

9. Feb 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    I almost bought a 2010 Taco with the stick, i loved it but the wife wouldn't have it.

10. Feb 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    djcutler84

djcutler84 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 5-Speed Magnetic Grey
    Tacoma rubber floor mats, tube steps, door sill protectors, exhaust tip, rubber bed mat, front skid plate, Weathertech side window deflectors (debadged), Alpine head unit with power pack and iPod interface, PAC steering wheel audio interface, JL Audio 8" sub with Sony XPlod 760W, "eBay" fog light kit with "factory style" switch, Perelli Scorpion ATR 265-70R-16 tires, Rain-x Latitude wiper blades
    I had the V6 6-Spd before my truck now (I4 5-Spd) and I have to agree with the members who ACTUALLY have the 5-Spd, it is kind of frustrating that you have to force it into 1st while just rolling and 2nd will have the truck vibrating so bad it feels like it's being destroyed... And please, I have over 10 years of driving stick

11. Feb 19, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    crazylegz505

crazylegz505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 f/locking hubs
    Kenwood KDC-138 In-Dash CD Receiver with Front Aux Input,
    Dang!!! My buddy works at toyota I'll ask him tomorrow!

12. Feb 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    cbRC4x4sr5

cbRC4x4sr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    lewisburg ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 mgm reg cab sr5 4x4
    front 5100's set to 2.5", rear 5100's + Add-A-leaf kit, class 3 hitch, yellow wire mod, ventvisors, volant cai, diff breather mod, ranger rci 6900 cb, custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler, hella micro ff fogs, ridgid dually leds
    I have noticed mine being hard to downshift to first when cold, but once it warms up it is fine.

13. Feb 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I skimmed the thread , skipping a lot , the double clutch talk again, dont want to re-repeat myself. So , i dont mind my 5 speed , but this is what it does...
    doesnt want to go in reverse sometimes...the fix, reslease clutch and do it again , itll go in ok.I choose not to focus on not getting my way the first time .... even if i should.
    Downshift into 1st , sure , just get to 5mph or so , it'll fight you , decide if you want to just keep speed in a corner( a safe speed) and do it in 2nd , lugging it a bit.
    Rattling when coasting with the clutch pushed in(throw out bearing??)... easy fix, dont coast with the clutch pushed in if you dont need to.

It may be the worst shifting trans i've had , but id rather have that minor transmission issue compared to the real issue of bad vehicles i've had.

14. Feb 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    double clutching for reverse is fine and makes sense since it is not synchronized.

15. Feb 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I haven't read all 5 pages so beat me up if you must but - just stop the truck and put it into 1st or slow it down to almost nothing. A tranny is not cheap - if you want to down shift you have 5 gears why try to go into 1st at a higher speed then the trans is made for ?

16. Feb 19, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Ask the service manager to take a ride with you. Let them drive. Compare it to another one on the lot. If your dealer won't listen, find another dealer. Maybe there's something wrong .. or in process of failing. As others said, the blower motor chirp can be fixed.

17. Feb 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    so 10mph is unreasonable to try to go into 1st??? i dont agree

18. Feb 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    For the Reverse "problem"- it IS common practice/sense to throw in first then throw into reverse. This is because reverse does not have a syncro and first has the closest gear ratio.

For the "can't put in first"- first is not ment to be engaged when moving!

19. Feb 19, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    First is ment for starting to move from a STOP.

20. Feb 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I just don't get the point. Use your brakes, use 2nd. I've been driving stick since B 4 sync's - my Dad taught me to double clutch - but into 1st - just don't get it. Enjoy your Sun.

Products Discussed in

To Top