1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you feel about radar detectors?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Hardcorehehaw, Feb 22, 2009.

?

How do you feel about radar detectors?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2010.
  1. I Own one and recommend them

108 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. They're a waste of money, unreliable

88 vote(s)
    25.1%
  3. They're illegal in my state

20 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. I don't speed

41 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. I Want one

67 vote(s)
    19.1%
  6. Other

26 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    Joe in the hills

Joe in the hills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cleveland, SC
    Vehicle:
    Timberline Mica SR5 TRD Offroad Towing Pk
    TJM Bull Bar Bumper, 7100 Bilstiens on FE, 4 Leaf Spring Retro
    Mostly used for small town speed traps where 5 mph over will get you a ticket.

Employ a Belltronics 65R, and yes it works great.

Haven't wired up the new lazer jammer yet.

Try to keep the rpm's below 2,000 so speeding is not a major problem.

2. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    just sayin...

3. Jan 27, 2010 at 3:35 AM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
    Tiger is the man, He is going to make all of us know our rights and the rights of the officer. Thanks for being one of the few good copper's:D

4. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Nothing says 1984 like a radar detector and a Member's Only jacket.

5. Jan 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    Valentine 1... There is no substitute

6. Jan 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I have a BEL Vector 940 that I have had for about 7 years. It still works great. I mainly use it as a reminder to watch my speed. I generally only do about 10 over the speed limit since in GA an officer cannot issue a citation for anything less than 11mph over the speed limit. When I'm on the interstate I will do 10-14 mph over depending on traffic. The reason I said 14 over is because in GA anything under 15mph doesn't go on your driving record. I don't typically drive super fast so I am able to slow down to a reasonable speed relatively quicky.

I find it very useful when I am on trips on the highway, it lets me know there are police ahead. The Cherokee County sheriffs use the instant on quite a bit around my house so its helpful when I get a quick weak K-band signal I know they are up ahead.

Another key with one is to make sure you invest in a good one

7. Jan 27, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    thats a great attitude :rolleyes:

cops arent always out to get you...despite what you may percieve...

having a short fuse with them will not help you out...no matter the situation...regardless of right or wrong...

8. Jan 28, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    He's also only 18 years old too. Hopefully his perception will change as he gets older and more mature.

I would say only a very small % of cops are dicks and on a power trip. If you are courteous and respectfull generally they will do the same with you.

Remember they won't bother you if you aren't doing anything wrong. If you are constantly being pulled over and "harrassed" by them then maybe you should re-evaluate a few things: the vehicle you are driving, how you are driving, the people who you associate with, or your understanding of the law. You might not agree with the law but its the law and you need to obey it.

I work with a lot of law enforcement and the justice system through my job and I have the utmost respect for law enforcement. They help me out quite frequently with taking reports, issuing warrants, executing the warrants, and ultimately putting the people in jail that I catch stealing from my company.

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    word

10. Jan 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Unless you're driving a pretty long distance, speeding wouldn't save you 20 minutes anyway. If you drive 90mph on a 20-mile trip you only get there 3m 48sec faster than if you drove 70mph.... nevermind the fact that you wouldn't actually drive 90 the whole time (driveway, neighborhood, stop signs/lights, etc.)

On long trips speeding will actually affect drive-time in a meaningful way, but even then it's not worth it.

Also... give cops a break. A guy who has to think about whether or not he's about to get shot every time he pulls somebody over doesn't need to take shit from some 18-yr-old smartass.

11. Jan 29, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    My friend relies on his in his BMW 325i. It's saved his ass more than 5 times...

12. Jan 30, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Pretty much your a dumb ass...Normal traffic stop 10-15 mins max-Let the guy ask you some questions, go run your ID and car, Maybe get a ticket, maybe not, drive on your way lesson learned.
    Get lippy/start a confrontation with a cop- Guarantee yourself a ticket, Maybe get arrested/additional fines, Get a ticket that comes with a mandatory court date. The hassle can last for days.

It seems that you avoid doing anything that necessitates your interaction with cops and that's a good call. Now grow up a little and you'll be all set...

13. Jan 30, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I had one for a while, ditched it because it was basically useless. Watching forward traffic patterns seems to be much more effective, and just using common sense as well. And for some of you who said "i hate cops..." well, the last 3 times I've been pulled over I've gotten off with a warning. I think some cops have decided you'll be getting a ticket no matter what, but some who are undecided make up their mind when they talk to you at the window. Be aggressive and/or rude and you've just given yourself a ticket, be poilite, "yes sir, no sir" and you may just get off the hook.

14. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Phullabull

Phullabull Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    Its the one that is orange and white with paw prints all over it. Just like all the other cars on the road in that part of SC......

15. Jan 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    cartage1

cartage1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland, Oh
    Vehicle:
    TRD, Sport
    Family member is a Federal Special Agent, and the cars they use are sweet...mostly customized impounds.... His last ride was customized by the folks at the grey bar hotel.... Couldn't see the lights even if you were staring in the grill.. LED's are bad a$$..

His problem... he keeps rolling into my driveway with the damn sirens on.... elderly neighbors love that....

CB's are better than radar, but too much unncesscary chatter will drive you crazy...

Hey Buzz... 9 over too much, and if you see a detector on the glass, are you more apt to issue the award?? :p

Several Law Enforcement guys have told me (or confirmed) to do the following if pulled over... roll down all of your windows...turn off the truck, put the keys on the dash, and keep both hands on the wheel...

Even to the veterans..traffic stops can be scary as you never know what kind of non sense or bad attitudes (see earlier post) you are rolling up on....

I got stopped and did this.. the trooper asked why I did that stuff, and I told him why... he said he appreciated the respect, and let me off with a "knock it off." .... tough job... give 'em a brake...

16. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    ^^that's what I did! I parked my truck, turned on the interior lights, put my keys on the dash, rolled down my windows and kept my hands on the wheel until the trooper(iron maiden:D) asked to see my liscense and insurance. Then he asked me to step outta my truck and I said sure. He asked me where I was coming from and I told him work (autozone) then we started to chit chat about my truck, work, he asked me some questions. All I got was a warning. A first from a trooper for me. I was just being honest and polite. I was speeding, but I only sped up because the van in front of me was swearving and as soon as he moved over I goosed it, as soon as I did that bam! Trooper coming the other direction lol. I explained this as well but its no use to point the finger. All in all, be wise and be polite.

Glad I didn't have to show off my breasticles :p

17. Feb 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Only time I've been pulled over(doing 65 in a 50 on a 2 lane back road) I rolled all my windows down and kept my hands on the wheel. Didn't think of turning it off. Also told the Trooper that I had to reach into the glovebox to get my registration. Didn't want him to think I was reaching for a gun and end up with a bullet in my head haha. I was nice to him and I got treated the same way in return. Although I still got the ticket, but I knew I was guilty of the infraction so no sense in being a dick to him for just doing his job.

This was out of state and he explained what I had to do if I wanted to fight the ticket and I explained that it would cost me more in gas and beer money to come back down for the weekend so I'll just pay it(fine was only 58 bucks and no points) which gave him a laugh.

Not sure if I posted in here on the original topic, but I have a radar detector now. Good tool if you know how to use it and realize it's not an excuse to drive excessively fast. There's no replacement for exercising a little common sense and being aware of where you are at.

18. Feb 4, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    mattcombs

mattcombs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    hazard kentucky
    Vehicle:
    SR5 tacoma 4wd
    3in revtec lisf westin step bars and westin bull bar and some other odds and ends
    in kentucky we dont have the cameras or vans that have cameras and all our police cars are crown victoias even the unmarked ones are easy to spot they have a spotlight on the window and lights you can see behind th grills

19. Feb 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    Here in Germany the only cops that will pull you over for speeding is the Military Police and they will only pull over government owned cars. The Germans have cameras everywhere, and I mean everywhere. They have ones that are embedded in the roads, embedded in road signs, and on posts on the sides of the roads. The only way that you know you have been caught speeding is when you get one in the mail. They give you a fine and depending on the speed that you were going they take your license from you. If you are going more then 33KPH over they take it for 30 days. You can go about 9KPH over without setting them off depending on where it is at.

Their thinking is if you want to drive fast go on the Autobahn but even that has speed limits through towns and busy areas. It also allows cops to concentrate on other things rather then on speeders.

20. Feb 5, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    Apple X C0re

Apple X C0re Atomic Punk

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Franklin, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    De-badged, MetalMiller grille emblem, brush guard, K&N Intake, Thrush tube, Black euro tail lights, Various scratches, Cobra 29LTD CB with custom echo board, 10" sony subwoofer with MTX amp, Black low-profile tool box, 5% tint all around.
    I've been saved many a time by radar detectors.. Just remember to drop your speed quick when it goes off, so they can't lock you in :D Of course if they have a laser on you instead of radar, your screwed anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top