1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you guys carry spare gas/water?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by mpmoody, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jul 17, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    mpmoody

mpmoody [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad
    I went camping this weekend up around the Mormon Lake area and have a few questions for you guys: how are you carrying spare gas and water?

I use those five gallon jerry cans to carry gas. While they are harder to find and a lot more expensive, they last a lot longer than any cheap ass plastic California legal can. However, I see a lot of those weekend warrior types with the toy haulers and Glamis/Got Sand decals carrying gas in some sort of plastic container with a flexible vinyl tube and a pvc cap on the end. Is this a more effective/efficient way to carry fuel?

As far as carrying water, I brought up two cases of bottled water and a few gallon jugs. As you can imagine, the jugs and cases do not hold up well to a bumpy dirt road. I just went to Walmart and bought one of those seven gallon blue plastic Aquatainers for $10.88. I plan on getting another one and dispensing water into a nalgene bottle instead of constantly opening tiny bottles of water.

Anyone have any suggestions or better ideas? I spend a total of one or two weeks each year camped out deep in the forest out near Mormon Lake, or miles into the Chiricauhua Mountains pursuing coues deer. Solid and leak proof are a big plus, as running out of either liquid leaves me SOL. ;)

2. Jul 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    the gas can you are talking about are about $30 (thats what i payed for, for the 2 i have) i use them for my dirt bike. and i would not use that in a truck. because they expand a bit in the heat/sun ( like all plastic cans) i would use the mettle ones kinda like the old army/ jeep ones. and on water when we go 4wheeling with the atv’s we just take the bottles in a cooler.

3. Jul 17, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  4. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    maybe. BUT i would not because of all the sloshing (off roading/ camping) just 1h drive they expand quite a bit like a 1” or 2” in the bed just going down the interstate. and the plastic gets kinda sticky and weaker over time. the ones i had, had different necks when i got them. in 2009 and they broke last year. the cans stay in the garage, now i have the hose necks. and like them.

5. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i thought about the cans i just dont really want to hear all the clanking and shit. guess ill just have to figure out a solid way to mount them

6. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    you can use them. but IMHO i think the army/old jeep ones would be better for off roading and camping.

i was just giving info and opinion from a users stand point.

7. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    mpmoody

mpmoody [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad
    I had a rubbermaid tub in my bed, up against the cab, that had a jerry can and something else wedged in between to keep it from rattling around. I might look into a bed bar to ratchet a jerry to when I'm not hauling a ton of crap.

8. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    no thats fine lol i totally appreciate it. Just mentioned some downsides to the metal ones and you mentioned great downsides to the plastic set!

9. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    Camo Dude

Camo Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    You may want to look at Rotopax a little expesive but they have a mount for the rails in the bed

10. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I carry 7 gal plastic containers from walmart for water. As far as fuel goes, i'm gonna pic me up some rotopax as soon as im ready for expeditions.

11. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Check my sig for how I carry nato gas cans.

I also carry rigid five gallon water jugs, which I tie in the upright position to my bed divider.

12. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    these are GREAT! we are thinking about getting one for the atv’s.

if you get these. get the Rotopax brand. the others are really bad for leaking.

and i do agree jerry cans have some down sides too.

13. Jul 18, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    yeah i have tons of the 5 gallon gas jugs with the hose on it, as said above it does expand when driving. i have brought one with me while wheeling and it did fine, no leakage or anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top