1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you replace the ignition lock cylinder?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NUMCK, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    NUMCK

NUMCK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Concord Ca
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Tacoma
    My key will only turn if I push the key in and out really quick. Does anyone know how to replace the ignition lock cylinder on a 04 PreRunner? Is this a do it yourself job or dealer job? Any info would be great.

Thanks,

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    My best guess would be that the dealer could get you a new ignition switch using the number on the tab that came with the keys. Install on something like that should be possible as a DIY, but it might involve dismantling a good chunk of the interior and might be worth paying someone else to worry about.

Swapping out the lock cylinder in the existing ignition switch is probably a more involved repair and should probably be done by a locksmith at least.

3. Mar 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    Air_Ops

Air_Ops Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    N.W. VT
    Vehicle:
    01 Ltd Dbl Cab
    TRD Headers, Cat Back Exhaust, Airaid Intake Tube, LC Engineering Throttle Body Gasket, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf, LC Engineering Tundra Brake Kit, Re-Framed
    I had the same problem last summer while on vacation. Did not want to have to leave the truck at the dealer all weekend and into the next week waiting for parts. I had the dealer cut a new key using the key code not the worn out key. The new key solved the problem, I am sure at some point I will need a new tumbler/ignition switch but for now the replacement key has been fine. Also the dealer sprayed the tumbler with some lubricant, it helped to save our vacation.

To Top