1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you replace the radio antenna?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by fshams, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    fshams

fshams [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD/TX PRO - DCSB
    Hi all.... Back in Spring I had the frame in my 2003 Tacoma replaced by the dealer. All in all, the dealer did a great job and I've been quite happy with the results. The only gripe I have is during the frame replacement process something happened to my radio antenna. The reception in my radio is horrible now. I've checked and made sure the connection is secure behind the radio, so my hunch is the issue is at the antenna base. Does anyone have instructions (how to) remove the antenna? I know the only way to get to it is to go up through the back of the fender area, but how do you loosen the antenna from the fender? Do I need a special tool to loosen the antenna at the mast? Any recommendations on a better, more sensitive antenna to replace the factory one? I need something for better reception and maybe more sturdy to run through car washes.
    I appreciate if anyone can help with this.
    :)

2. Oct 31, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    StaticFilter

StaticFilter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Lifted, N-Fab steps, Roof rack light bar, Grill guard, Volant Snorkel (not installed ye)
    Not sure if the antennas have changed, my 98 had a "nut" at the base of the antenna, the Haynes manual suggests using snap ring pliers to remove this nut, mine was stuck/rusted/corroded and broke off, so I destroyed my friggin base trying to remove it... Next time i'll try soaking it in WD40 first

Products Discussed in

To Top