1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you wire remote thermometer through firewall?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Primersinmyshoe, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe [OP] Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    I'd like to add an inside/outside thermometer but can't figure out how to get a wire through the firewall to mount the "outside" sensor in front of the radiator. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2010 access cab.

2. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    I took a sharp pocket knife and poked a hole through the wiring grommet under the brake vacuum chamber in my 2009 DC. Not sure your access cab is built the same. I have radio antenna coax cable and 2 N0. 10 wires coming through that hole.

3. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Find any of the stuffing tubes that wires come thru already and tuck it thru there- or go buy a rubber grommet and put your own hole thru...

4. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe [OP] Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    Thanks for the tips guys! I spent a lot of time looking at the stuff going through the firewall, including the bunch of wires in the area of the parking brake. I also pulled down the glovebox and gave that area a look. I would like to find an access point that already exists rather than making my own. I also saw underneath several rubber hole plugs under the plastic moulding right inside the driver's door. How do you get that plastic moulding out?

5. Jun 25, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    electrical tape a small wire to the tip of a straight metal clothes hanger. Makes it easy to slide through a firewall opening. I would go from the engine side and go through the same opening as the bundle of wires from the engine fuse box. You should be able to see it above the brake pedal area..

6. Jun 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    If you're talking about the door sills, just pull up on them. Start at the seam located right about where the front and rear suicide doors meet. Get your fingers under it and gently curl them to get the plastic clips to pop out.

Really I think your best option is to cut a small slit in the huge rubber grommet at the firewall, by the brake booster. I ran my oil temp/oil pressure and boost sensor wiring and hoses through a little 1/2" slit in this grommet.

7. Jun 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Hmm...would you get a more accurate outside temp reading if you went through the grommet under the driver's side seat and put the sensor under the cab? If you pull up the door sill, you'll see wires under it. Some of these wires branch off and go under the driver's seat and then through the floor. There's a grommet there that you can put a small slit into. I ran bed light wiring through here.

Products Discussed in

To Top