1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How does paint correction pricing work?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by toyotahenry, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Jan 18, 2022 at 6:24 PM
    toyotahenry

toyotahenry [OP] N/A

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFF ROAD 4X4 ARMY GREEN
    I’m interested in having my vehicle fully paint corrected due to loads of water spots, swirl marks and etc..

So my question is there a set rate when it comes to this skilled labor or is it a case by case thing? TIA!

2. Jan 18, 2022 at 6:32 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    Why not have someone professionally buff it out first

Tacomaryan18 likes this.
  3. Jan 18, 2022 at 6:36 PM
    Kyle_

Kyle_ A guy and his expensive hobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SoCal (805)
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 DCSB
    @tacoma.kyle on IG
    Step 1. Thoroughly wash your car.
    Step 2. Dry your car.
    To prevent swirl marks.
    (when washing you car it is best to use the applicant of your soap if not touchless to go in the same direction. I do horizontally side to side on my car. Same with drying.)
    Yes there may still be some very very minor marks left but that can be expected. it will be less noticeable depending on color of car, and what direction they go in... hence not washing and drying in various directions.
    Step 3. get a polish kit and wax kit. I use Meguiars polish and wax. I use an orbital polisher and the wax kit came with a pad.
    Step 4. polish and wipe off and repeat till desired then cover with wax.
    There are many youtube videos showing how to do it properly.

It will be cheaper to do yourself. It takes some time but if you want your vehicle to look nice it takes time. IF you have the money, then feel free to toss it and have someone do it.

Junkhead likes this.
  4. Jan 18, 2022 at 6:37 PM
    toyotahenry

toyotahenry [OP] N/A

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Isn’t that the concept of professional paint correction? Lol

5. Jan 18, 2022 at 6:53 PM
    Brex69

Brex69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock DC LB Off Road
    When I got an estimate to do my Mustang it was over 1200.00. They have to buff it to remove scuffs, swirl marks etc., which is about 400.00, then 800.00 for the actual ceramic coat that lasts two years, longer lasting coating cost more.
    I decided to pass

toyotahenry[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:13 PM
    Drabon74

Drabon74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Buy you a harbor freight da polisher, get the good one(89.00-99.000), order a lake country yellow and white 6 inch pad ( 2 of each) from Amazon or Autogeek. Also order griots fast correcting cream and perfecting cream. Watch a few YouTube videos from Apex detailing or Pan The Organizer on how to do your own paint correction. It’s really not hard nor dangerous so long as you get a da and not a orbital polisher. People will crap on the hf da, but for a beginner it will serve you well and you will be amazed at the results YOU can get with what I mentioned above. Before you do a paint correction wash and clay the entire paint surface. Follow up the paint correction with a good paint sealant like menzerna power lock or Collinite 845(these are great ones but there are MANY more. Turtle wax seal and shine is also very good and inexpensive.
    I have a dewalt cordless da, a griots boss and an orbital. I also have over a dozen different compounds and polishes, and at least that many waxes and such. I also have gtechniq, and carpro uk ceramic coatings. If you are near Myrtle Beach I’ll hook you up.

7. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    HUTCHRED

HUTCHRED I can ride my bike with no handlebars.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black Tacoma Limited
    Trying to be chrome free
    lot of it depends on how big the vehicle is and how bad of condition it is in. simple polish vs color sand and polish can mean the difference between a couple of hours or several days.

You will need to talk to a professional that can look it over in person.

8. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:28 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    There's not much to it. Wash it really good, clay it, and then start with the least aggressive compound and pad using a random orbital polisher. Overlap passes 50 percent and work in small sections like 2ftx2ft. Polish vertically overlapping then go back horizontally overlapping. Usually 2-3 passes of each. Let the machine do the work and don't put excessive pressure on it.

Check your results, increase your cut compound to something more aggressive if needed or apply a sealant or coating to finish up.

Rupes and Jescar make great compounds and pads, but any random orbital polisher will work. Griots has some random orbital polishers on Amazon for like $150, some even come with pads. You probably want a 5" pad/ polisher with 15mm throw. 3" will work, but it'll take longer.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=griots+p...efix=griots+polisher,aps,130&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Also, some imperfections are better left. If you over polish you'll wear the clear too thin or cut through it. It's not rocket science. If you can use a machine polisher to apply wax you can use compound to polish. Youtube even has several instructional videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+polish+paint

9. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:31 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    Also, to answer your question. Yes, it is a case by case depending on the condition of the vehicle and color, but I would expect several hundred to maybe 1200-1500 on the high end. You're paying for labor basically. The pads and polishes are relatively cheap.

Edit: a really good detailer will be able to look it a specific paint condition and recommend a couple products that will likely remove 80-90 percent of defects. A hack will go straight to a wool pad (most aggressive cutting pad) and a very aggressive compound.

10. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:49 PM
    Cryptictoy

Cryptictoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Esperance, N.Y
    Look up chemical guys on you tube , my son uses a lot of there stuff detailing. Not super hard to do , just need the knowledge and don't skip steps. And tape off black trim ,especially the textured. As far as pricing goes it all depends on size of car , current condition like if front edge of hood has stone pecks that you want taken care of? And so on.

11. Jan 19, 2022 at 4:51 PM
    toyotahenry

toyotahenry [OP] N/A

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    i appreciate your folk’s responses but i am far from mechanically inclined to do my own work Lol.

12. Jan 19, 2022 at 4:53 PM
    Kyle_

Kyle_ A guy and his expensive hobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SoCal (805)
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 DCSB
    @tacoma.kyle on IG
    :spending:

Brex69 likes this.