1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How good is your Tacoma in the snow

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacoman101, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Nov 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Tire Rack, Firestone Winterforce 245/75/16 $70 each plus $15 to stud them plus shipping.
    Totally agree with you Jeff, the roads can change quickly up in the elevation, I rather have 3 ft of snow than the mixed bag precipitation.

I like the Notch a lot!! Never gone over in Winter time tho :thumbsup:

2. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    OUCH! Was that your rig? or you just a bystander?
    That stretch of road looks very familiar...287/I-90 area?

Oh, and Hello fellow Gallatin County resident.

3. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    kroggy

kroggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 3.4 4x4
    Grill Guard. PIAA 520's. And ...

That was me and my rig. And your correct on the I-90, MP297.7 just over the bridge between Columbus and Reedpoint. Was on my way back to school from the parents house about a month ago.

4. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    dlthunder

dlthunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sold my Taco
    TRD Skid Plate Rear Seat 11inch DVD Toyota Bed Mat Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit Nerf Bars Tailgate Electric Dynolock D-ring Bedbolts
    I can't wait for the snow, I just bought a set of General AT2 (with studs) from tire rack for my truck, plan to have them mounted later this month. (putting the General Altimax Artics with studs on my wifes Expedition.) I drive to Tahoe a ton in the winter and I don't want to worry about traction.

5. Nov 6, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    Tacoguy

Tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma PreRunner V6 3.4 TRD
    Bed Liner, Running Boards, Cargo Net, Deck Plate Mod, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Well it seems that I may be in an unfortunate minority having a PreRunner with 2wd only. :(

However I am anticipating this snow season as I bought new tires this past summer. I have had the original BFG Rugged Trails for 6 years and always hated the handling in the snow.

Now I have some Nitto Terra Grapplers. Overall they seem like better tires, perhaps I get a little less MPG, however I am hoping they provide better snow traction.

Anyone use Nitto Terra Grapplers in the snow? If so, how do they stack up?

6. Nov 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  7. Nov 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    She does beastly. Ice...ehh not as great. But beastly in the snow.

8. Nov 6, 2009 at 11:11 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    In the snow it's amazing, It's a stock height (until next week ;) ) with some 50% 265 75 16 bfg A/T's and I was driving in 1.5 feet of fresh pow the other day with no problems. but on ice, it's nothing special

9. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    I recentaly bought the same tires, although I didn't get them studded, and I was wandering how these do in the snow and ice, i've heard mixed reviews

10. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:51 AM
    Agent7

Agent7 Senior Executive of Nothing.

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 6spd
    BHLM, Stubby Antenna, Custom Front Grill, Debaged Tailgate, Added TRD Emblem, Removed Factory Pinstripes, Leer 100XL Cap, Prolumen 6000K HID Kit with custom glare shields, Eurolite Yellow fog lights, 20" Fast Hustler wheels (black w/3" deepdish polished lip), Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20's, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, Custom LED Gauges, Pioneer AVIC F700BT All-In-One Indash Navigation (Hacked)
    Your truck will only ever be as good as your tires and how smart you navigate the snow. If you have shitty all season tires and drive like an idiot you'll more than likely be stuck in a ditch/snow bank. If you have a good set of tires, and are reasonable behind the wheel you'll shouldn't have a problem. When I was younger I have had a few lowered sports cars (some fwd some rwd) and always put top line winter tires on. I never once got stuck... matter of fact I could have opened a snow plow buisness with how low some of those car were. Invest in a good all terrain that has good snow ratings, or buy good winter tires and this truck will out perform just about anything on the road.

11. Nov 7, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    I have general grabber at2's on now and so far they are better than the BFG AT KO's I had on before these. The truck does great in the snow, but regardless of how good a vehicle is there is no substitution for how good/bad YOU are. Tires make a world of difference, but if you don't know the basics of snow driving, the best tires in the world won't help you. You may be able to go fast in 4X4, but stopping is a different issue. Be smart and be aware of your surroundings.

12. Nov 7, 2009 at 7:00 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    My Tacoma has not missed a storm yet BUT do put weight over that rear end:rolleyes::rolleyes:( after plowing ,roads are clear and PACKED...2wd will give you a FREE 360....;))....I go out just as the SH*& starts and stay out till it is over....That truck has never failed to get me to the loader so I can "Work" my shift...and I'm on 265/70/16 GeoTrac XLT's..not exactly "Ice Claws";)

I totally agree with how YOU drive can make or break your "Snow experience"....Going through "IT" and stopping in "it" are 2 different animals.....Good thing is you see more Toyota's "saving" (Pulling out;)) others ...Or could that be "WE" have the "Right equipment' with us full time;):cool:.....

S

13. Nov 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I drove through a strip of black ice that was on/off for about 40 miles many years ago in chicago. Actually a whole busload of nuns ( yes nuns ) died on the other side of the highway that weekend. I was driving a ford crown vic. You know rwd -lol. Several close calls but this is what you do in black ice. As soon as you hit it you'll notice your vehicle slowly moving in an odd direction. Like sideways-lol. Foot off gas and foot off brake. Slowly turn your steering wheel in the oppisite direction and hope that you hit solid asphalt before you're off the road. Thats all you can really do unless you have studded tires.

14. Nov 7, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I took mine up to Flag a year ago and it did great. I was a little worried about sliding around because our ass end is so light but it did pretty good IMO :)

15. Nov 7, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    Alright guys thanks for all the help. I'll take it easy in the snow and through some sand in the back, and hopefully I'll make it through the winter without totalling my rig, or ending up in some ditch

16. Nov 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    no problem here... although we dont get as much snow as alot of you guys... the pic in my sig is in about 14" of snow...

17. Nov 7, 2009 at 10:48 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    14'' of snow and it doesn't go half way up your tire.... I'm confused

18. Nov 8, 2009 at 3:36 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    No way, that is like 6 inches of snow at best.... Jesters pics are more like 14 inches.

19. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Just took my Taco out in the snow for the first time. We got about 10 inches and its been blowing drifts around. Man ..... what a treat!!! I have 4 winter, studded tires on the bad boy and it felt like I was driving on dry pavement!! (OK I might be exaggerating a little bit). But seriously though, I went to work which is on the side of a hill. The parking lot has about a 40 degree incline and it hadn't been plowed yet. I stopped in the middle of the parking lot on the hill. When I hit the gas it just pulled like crazy with no tire spin. I didn't floor it mind you but I accelerated at a "normal" pace and it was sweet!! Also, I tried a few quick stops and the tires are working great!

It's real hilly here and we get lots of snow and ice (East Coast, north of Maine). I'm feeling pretty confident about driving around this winter. I will NEVER drive anything other than a 4x4 again as long as I live! Well ... unless I retire in Mexico :D

Cheers.

20. Dec 9, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    yea we had a wicked storm in vermont today and I tryed out the taco, and it did real well

Products Discussed in

To Top