1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How hard is it to shoot an elephant?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by sofiasdad11, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Not true, he said he doesn't hunt, he never said he was against hunting.

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    Why do people think that just cause one is "trophy hunting" that the meat is not getting used? Seems to me, the older, more mature "trophies" are the ones that should be pursued, not younger animals.

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    I'm no hunter, but I'm pretty sure there are thousands of pictures of hunters holding up heads of animals just to show the antlers. How is that different? A lot of people also cut those heads off and mount them on their walls....

4. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I agree with both of you regarding trophy hunting if the meat is wasted. If some rich bastard strolls in and wants to shoot an elephant and it benefits the locals because they will eat well off the meat produced, I have no issue with it. If it's killing soley for the 'trophies' and the rest is left to rot, then let the shooter burn in hell because that truely is horrible. Not knowing the full story, I can't make that determination.

The fish was just an example... lots of poeple go on hunting expeditions, hire guides and shoot game. You'll find lots of people take pictures holding antlers or a large fish or standing over a big ass bear. What makes this any different other than it's Trump's boys and it make the top of a website? I'm not a hunter and probably never will be but I don't see the point in getting bent out of shape because someone else is killing an animal providing it was done humanely and the animal parts don't go to waste.

5. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    I stayed at a hunting camp in the Okavango Delta of Botswana. We weren't hunting, and the season wasn't open, but we had hunters/trackers with us who explained what they do.

Killing an elephant is hard because the bullet must enter behind the skull at a precise angle and in a small target area to have an immediate kill. The meat from trophy hunting in Botswana goes to locals or people in the camp, while the heads/tails/etc go to the person paying for the expedition. As of two years ago, the price for either an elephant or tiger hunt was $50k. I forget if it's $50k an animal (like I think) or for the trip, but I can ask.

I'm not a hunter, and I don't condone trophy hunting.

6. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    hey, if you are out on a hunt and are patient enough to wait for the mature buck. Then you are a proper hunter. The trophy would be proof of it.

7. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I sort of lean toward the opinion of OZ-T and I do partake in hunting every year during deer season.

I am not against safari hunting as it is legal and strictly regulated by the governments in Africa. People drawn to that are usually motivated by the challenge of seeking dangerous game. Wild elephants are extremely dangerous to approaching humans.

But to me there are varying definitions of "hunting". There's survival hunting, such as practiced by Native Americans or our ancestors years ago, where a prayer of thanks might be sent up for the animal who was sacrificed to provide for a family.

Then on the other end of the sprectrum there is hunting just for ego and competition for the biggest trophies. Most hunting today is somewhere in the middle of those and I strive to keep it more towards the spiritual end personally.

8. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    well said

9. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    OP obviously has never tried elephant's tail

10. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    This video shows the most unbelievable shot while under pressure that I've ever seen. Ron, the man who fired the single shot, was easily going to be killed by this lion. He was also the hunter we used in Botswana.

Quick backstory: This was a trophy hunt. The woman who paid for this merely wounded the tiger's paw, and they didn't finish the job, so Ron and his tracker Maburu were brought in to finish the lion off. It has to do with animal compassion at this point, they said, for whatever it's worth. The woman has the lion's head.

DO NOT VIEW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WATCH AN ANIMAL GET KILLED.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rCy5M5Y74o

fwiw, I don't like the reason this animal was killed. Hate it w/ a passion actually.

11. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    lol, that's true :rolleyes: that being said, i'm out.

12. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    My thoughts on the subject are if you kill it you eat it. If you don't want to eat it don't kill it!

13. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    is it delicious?

14. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    Heavyop

Heavyop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD SPORT
    Advancedkeys keyless entry/start
    Its not like this is the first elephant ever hunted for a trophy. Its been like this since before gun powder was invented.

Cutting the tail off is a local custom, its made into a braclet. I would imagine that goes as far back as locals haveing to use spears to kill them, before bows were invented.

They also dont just pick a random elephant and shoot it, they have certain ones picked out that either have bad genetic defect, injured (broken leg, blind), or isnt able to reproduce. They also take into account many elephants are able to be sustained on them amount of land that they have.

You really have to take any news story with a grain of salt. Look at who is wrighting them article or producing it or where them info comes from. In this case, them info comes from peta and TMZ. Imo, not two sorces I would call unbiased.

15. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,

AGREED and quoted for truthfulness!

16. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    when braised with bird's nest soup and served in a bed of shark's fin

17. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    My interest faded when I saw PETA in the story. The story probably would not have made the headlines had it not been for PETA, which has killed more animals than those "two cockbags" will in their lifetimes combined.

Congrats on being trolled by PETA.

18. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Wholly Cheit!!! I'd have to shovel my pants out after that one! :eek:

19. Mar 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Dammit, they got me again!

20. Mar 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    Agreed. If you eat what you kill, then you are doing exactly what they do in the slaughterhouse. If you are killing for the trophy alone, then I truly can't relate. Seems a little psychopathic to me. No, I do not belong to PETA, do not believe the silly line "meat is murder", and am not a vegetarian. I am opposed to the needless suffering of any animal. My .02

Products Discussed in

To Top