1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How hard to replace tining belt

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mrma, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Sep 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM
    Mrma

Mrma [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma
    Hi, new to the board, i have a '03 dbl cab 4x4 with a 3.4l v-6 automatic. Anybody replace the timing belt themselves? Is it difficult??Im not a master mechanic, but I can spin a wrench. Also would it be a good time to go ahead and replace the water pump?? I have 120k on the truck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sep 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM
    TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    Ya it is totally feasable for the backyard mechanic. Just make sure you have all the right tools. I did it on my 96. Just followed the haynes manual. When purchasing a timing belt, I got the one from the dealer and it had timing marks on it so you just match those up with the timing marks on the cams and crank and youre good to go!!!

3. Sep 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM
    Mrma

Mrma [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma
    Thanks for the info, I think I am going to replace it this week end. I think I will replace the water pump as well.

4. Sep 28, 2010 at 1:21 AM
    TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    Ya definitely do the water pump. There is a DIY on it here but I cant find it right now. I'd also recommend replacing the tensioner. Some people do the tensoner pulley also. Its up to you if you want to go back in there and replace those if they fail.

5. Sep 28, 2010 at 1:34 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    About the best guide I've seen on it is http://www.lieblweb.com/waterpump.html or http://4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

There's quite a bit I'll do, but I chickened out on this one. Its a bit above my comfort level, specially by myself.

There's also the FSM:
    Timing Belt: Water Pump: Its a 3 hour job for mechanics that have the right tools and have done it before. For us, that means you can expect to spend 6 hours working on it, or more.

6. Sep 28, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Yeah I looked at the online service manual and don't think I care to do this I don't have the special tools for one thing.

7. Sep 28, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    I did mine in about 1 afternoon. Not bad at all to do just take your time and dont get frustrated. And I also didnt need any special tools just used a rachet strap I think!

8. Sep 28, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    my father and i attempted to change my 96 years ago when it hit 100k, we got all the way down to the cam bolt and could not break it loose, it was the last step we had and ended up putting everything back together and head to a local mechanic to finish the job. kind of sucked. a $60 job, belt cost, turned into a $200 labor job.

9. Sep 29, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    Mrma

Mrma [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma
    Thanks for the input, Im feeling pretty good about trying to change this myself. I think I have all the tools I need. I just need the time. Not in a big hurry. I guess I might as well change the tensioner too, now that you mention it. You are right about not wanting to have to go back in again. I really appreciate all the feedback. You guys rock!!

Products Discussed in

To Top