1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How I got the TSB on my 2009

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Apr 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    They originally had me bring mine in to see if there were any damaged parts causing the "harsh ride". A waste of time, money and man hours if you ask me. Once it checked out...they called Toyota. Only then did they order the parts.

Every dealer is different. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

2. Apr 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    LRober887

LRober887 Active Member

Member:
    Central Texas (Austin area)
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 4dr 4.0L TRD Sport
    Lift, wheels, tires, exhaust, CAI
    Yeh the service writer said the "parts are on order" and my appointment notice is for this Thursday - I'll keep ya posted.

Shoot, the truck only has 1,000 miles on it - but I plan on keeping this one for a long time (unless some one runs over me!) so I'm going to get stuff done like this as soon as possible.

Larry R

3. Apr 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    dw77x

dw77x Those are not my pants

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    I called Toyota on my 09 and explained that after picking up 10 bags of water softener salt (400lbs) my truck squated and rode very harsh. She told me to load all the salt back up into my truck and take it to the dealership so I can show them. Um, yeah. . .that is not going to happen, basement stairs bad back. . .I don't think so.

4. Apr 9, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Call Toyota and file complaints about the harsh ride. Tell them you threw out your back trying to load up the bags like your dealer told you to. If you get it approved through Toyota (like some have), they will contact the dealer and have them order the parts.

I would've laughed in her face if she told me to load everything back up and bring it in.

Keep pushing. No need to reload your truck.

5. Apr 10, 2009 at 2:31 AM
    Robocop

Robocop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    I have an appt. at 1pm today to have the dealer also check my truck to see if it is something else causing the harsh ride and bottoming out issues. With only 850 miles on the truck I am sure they will be wasting their time.

The service manager said they simply had to check the truck completely first as this was something that Toyota demanded before ordering parts for the TSB. I am hoping I will not have a problem as mine is also a 2009 model however the VIN and part #s do match the TSB for the previous year.

Wish me luck and I will keep you all informed after my appt. later today.

6. Apr 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    LRober887

LRober887 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    FIRST Post:

Hummmmm - not 100% sold yet!
    This has been way too easy - up to this point! :confused:

I called my dealer in reference to another work order to replace the windshield that received a rock ding while transporting it between dealers! While I had them on the phone, I said that I picked up a load of feed the other night and noticed how the truck sat down on the bump stops and rode like a canvass covered wagon!

I then told them that a buddy of mine (aka - this thread) sent me a T-SB on replacement of the rear springs. They headed off down a "well you know those ..........yada, yada" I said look bottom line, the T-SB states that the vehicles with the following VIN codes (that I got off the bulletin) are suppose to have the 3 pack leaf springs replaced with a 4 pack leaf springs if the customer complains about a "harsh ride."

They asked me to hang on while they looked and said well it only covers the 2008 models .....but wait, yours was built 11/2008 - (bought and delivered 03/2009) - told me to hang on and they would research the issue and call back.

To my amazement, 3 hours and 30 minutes later, the phone rings and says - no problem the regional manager said fix'em up!

Parts on order - so, guess I'll have to wait and see! :eek:

Larry R

Final Outcome! :D
    I couldn't be more pleased! Round Rock Toyota had the work completed in a very reasonable time (the front windshield was also replaced since it was broken during delivery.) On the way home I drove back on the same roads so I could see if there was a ride difference. I couldn’t tell any difference in the actual ride.

I did notice, after stopping and loading up 4 bags of feed, that it rode much better than before the leaf spring replacement. So, from what I can tell on all the multitude of post regarding this subject, if you can convince your service writer to convince the regional service manager you use your truck like a truck and haul loads occasionally, then anything manufactured in 2008 (mine was built in mid December 2008) they will do the upgrade.

Dern I had to go back almost 10 pages worth of posts to reply!! Good luck to those of you still working on this upgrade!

Larry R

7. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    geoff5093

geoff5093 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goffstown, NH
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru BRZ
    I went to the dealer to get this done (before I saw this thread though), looks like I'll have to wait for the TSB to become official. :(

8. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    LRober887

LRober887 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You know, I'd still pester the fire out of them (maybe not your dealer but those folks on the 1-800 phone number) - One thing I forgot to mention - on the work order - they listed my concerns as:
    · poor handling
    · possible body damage
    · possible frame or structural damage

Larry R

9. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Success!!.....Service manager took about an hour inspecting the truck and as expected said he found no other problems that would cause a poor ride. He has ordered my TSB parts and I have an appt. for next Friday to have the work done.

Not sure what he was talking about when he said the shocks and coils come pre-assembled however he did verify that it is a complete Bilstein replacement. He also said it is about $1700.00 worth of upgrades and should improve my load capacity as well as much better handling. Needless to say I am very excited to have the improved parts arriving shortly and also very pleased with Toyotas response in general.

10. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    is there any point in calling in for this if I plan on getting a toytec 3"lift? I believe I read somewhere that you don't need to get the TSB if you get the lift

11. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    What kind of rear lift are you going to do?? If you are using an AAL - There are versions for both Pre and Post TSB springs.

It's probably worth it to get it done if you are lifting for off-roading...

12. Apr 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    wat about this lift kit?

13. Apr 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Now that I have been approved for the TSB I have been looking up as much info as I can just to see the benefits of actually having it done.

I understand the 4 leaf springs would remedy the actual problem of bottoming out and it is this that most complain of. What confuses me is why do you think Toyota would include Bilstein shocks all the way around in addition to the better springs?

Seems like just swapping the springs would solve the usual problems. Is it because of the added lift gained with the better springs....maybe the Bilsteins raise the front a little so it does not look so off balance?? I am not complaining at all as I look forward to the better shocks as well just can not figure out why they are included.....any ideas?

I am most excited about reading so many actually found a TSB equipped truck to ride, corner and just drive much better than before the TSB. So is my thinking correct in believing that simply upgrading the springs alone on a non TRD truck would be enough to correct the problems?......or do having heavier springs have to have the better shocks in order to work as a package??

14. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    dw77x

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    After several more calls to Toyota and a few to the dealer they agreed that my 2009 was part of the tsb but. . .I still need to reproduce the problem for them. Guess what, just bring in a load so we can verify the condition. Now thats all fine and dandy buy why is it my responsibility to show Toyota of a probelm they already know exists! Oh well it looks like my only option at this point. I have 580lbs of sand bags in the back right now, and on my way at 2:00 this afternoon.

What really hacks me off is that I am a truck mechanic myself and I am more than cappable of adding a leaf to the pack. Why should I spend my time and money on something that should be taken care of by Toyota.

Wish me luck (although I should not need it since my truck IS part of the tsb!) :D

15. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    I agree... I didn't prove sh*t... You shoudn't have to... But, as long as they are cooperating, and you get it done, it will be worth it...

16. Apr 16, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    dw77x

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    Just got the call and they are doing them!!! wo hooo! I even get to keep the little black Yaris for another day while we wait for parts.

17. Apr 16, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    That's great. I see more and more getting the work done. Very few have been denied recently. I've never even seen a Yaris but I like driving loaners as you get to check out different vehicles with different features.

I usually drop my truck off in the morning, get my free latte and they give me a ride to work in a "courtesy shuttle" - a Scion. They also pick me up or drop the truck off at my office when finished.

18. Apr 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Just returned from the dealer and it was well worth the wait to have this TSB done. It is indeed a little different ride however not in a negative way. It corners a little better without the "sway" feeling before and does sit a little high in the rear.

Here it is after the TSB fresh from the factory with less than 900 miles and no mods as of yet.....

[​IMG]

19. Apr 17, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    oaksmith

oaksmith Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    White TRD
    I've read and reread and I can't find the Vin #'s that the TSB applies to!
    Would someone please tell me where to look on the TSB or where to find it

20. Apr 20, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    LRober887

LRober887 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Oak - you may already have your answer but on the T-SB - under Additional information (should be near the the top in a text box) it will have the years the T-SB applies to, the model/s and in the additonal info it will have the following:

Body Type(s): Access Cab, Double Cab
    Drive Type(s): 4WD
    VDS(s): JU62N, KU72N, LU42N, MU52N, TU62N,
    TX62N, UU42N, UX42N

The VDS(s) is are your applicable Vin numbers.

Larry R.​

Products Discussed in

To Top