1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How I got the TSB on my 2009

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Jul 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I know you were just hypothetically speaking but even the TSB pack will be drooping and saggy after 10 years. Even if you get the TSB, you'll probably want to put new springs in there to put that topper on your 10 year old truck.

Don't get me wrong...if you can get the TSB - awesome. If not...
    It is worth fighting for but it's not worth hating the company and your truck (like some have around here).

2. Jul 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    FNG

FNG Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver V6 SR5 DC/SB 4x4, A/T, tow pkg
    Removed mud flaps, disabled seat belt chime & door lock chirps, tinted front windows, Nitto Terra Grapplers, AAL TSB.
    Yeah, it was a hypothetical scenario. Albeit one that may actually come to fruition. I understand basic metallurgy so I realize that metals experience fatigue over time; especially those subject to repeated flexion (like a leaf spring) and everything has a useful life. Ive owned other vehicles that were 10yrs old and they didnt need any major suspension components though. Shocks/struts? Ok. Springs though? That would be disappointing if it turned out to be true. Im hoping to own this thing for the next 20 yrs (depending on gas prices - of course) so Im hoping the 'hard parts' last that long. Although I did find a tiny little spot of rust color underneath the Tacoma badge on the passeneger door when I shaved it off a few weeks ago, so I suspect in 20 yrs it very well may be a complete rust bucket!

3. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    devo21

devo21 New Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab, Black, 4.0L, 4X4
    DontPanic - I have an '09 as well and live in VA. What dealer did the work for you?

Thanks.

4. Jul 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    Amos

Amos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC sport
    I bought my truck a week ago and had to take it in yesterday to get them to put on the step bars, I took a copy of the TSB with me and asked in the service dept if my truck had the springs that were being replaced. It did so I asked them to order the parts and replace it on mine. I have heard nothing but complaints about the toyota dealer in my area (Bill Penney in Huntsville, AL), but I had a good buying experience and the service area called me today saying my bars were on and the truck was ready to be picked up and they ordered the leaf springs and they will call me when they come in to put 'em on. I didn't have to call any 800 #s or even speak to the service manager. Just thought I would let everyone know so if they are having a tough time getting them replaced in the northern alabama area. I dealt with Chris Martin in the service dept.

5. Jul 30, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Great post and glad to hear you had good experience.

My dealer took care of my TSB with little hassle but I did it shortly after buying it. Maybe that is the difference?

You just bought a $30,000 vehicle from them and they want to keep you happy. They should bend over backwards to enable you to drive away happy. Once you've driven away and told all your friends and family where you bought the truck and how happy you were with their service department, they will no longer give a rats ass about you.
    Bring in a 2 year old truck and try to get the TSB done and they don't want to bother because you aren't walking around talking about your new springs and how happy you are about the dealer who performed the work - not like you did when shouting about your brand spanking new beauty of a truck.

I bet if you pooled the people who had no issues, most were recently purchased trucks and the work was done at the dealer who sold the truck.

6. Aug 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    JasonY

JasonY Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab, Prerunner, SR5, Alloys,
    Hi all,

just bought my Tacoma last week and discovered a couple of things:

it's a 2009 that was built in september of 09
    it has the correct VDS number (TX62N)
    it has the 3 leaf spring (not the "correct" 4 leaf)
    the number on the 3 leaf is in the correct one: 48220-04190-G

I haven't loaded it up yet because I'm still in the break in period, but once I get it broken in it won't be unusual for me to haul 600-700lbs of stuff in the back. I specifically got a Tacoma to haul lumber for my woodworking business, but if the truck is going to bottom out with a lighter load I'm not a happy camper.

Should I go buy 600lbs of sand just to prove to the dealer that I need the TSB done, or do you think calling/driving it in would be enough? I love the truck, but I bought it to actually, you know, haul stuff, so I definitely want it to be ready to perform when it's broken in.

One more thing: my truck is the 4x2 prerunner access cab. I'm not sure, but does this TSB apply to the 4x2's or just the 4x4's?

7. Aug 11, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Bought in August 09 but manufactured in September 09 :eek:

:D

I think you should drive the truck as you usually do and load it as you normally load it. It may be a harsh ride the first time you haul a decent load. If it is, go through the steps to TRY to have the TSB completed.

If it isn't a harsh ride, don't worry about it. You're under warranty for 3 years and can always try to get it done. Also, it will be less stressful if/when they add 09 to the TSB. If it doesn't bother you now, wait it out.

If you are denied, spend $80 on a Toytec AAL. It's not a huge expense considering you purchased a $30,000 vehicle.

Good luck :cool:

8. Aug 11, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    JasonY

JasonY Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab, Prerunner, SR5, Alloys,
    ACK! I mistyped! Dangit. I should have said it was bought in August of 09 but manufactured in September of 2008! It's one of the "original" 2009's and definitely has the springs that are covered in the TSB.

9. Aug 23, 2009 at 6:31 AM
    Blitz45

Blitz45 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Impulse Red Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    I was able to have my Dealership do the TSB on my 05 Tacoma 4x4 access cab since its a Factory certified vehicle with a factor extended warranty. I didnt have to twist any arms either. parts are on order and I should have them installed next week.

10. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    FNG

FNG Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver V6 SR5 DC/SB 4x4, A/T, tow pkg
    Removed mud flaps, disabled seat belt chime & door lock chirps, tinted front windows, Nitto Terra Grapplers, AAL TSB.
    I finally got the TSB performed last month after a fair amount of polite persistence. It took a phone call to Toyota CS, trips to the dealership before and after that and a couple of lengthy conversations about 'word-smithing'. After driving it for a few weeks I can say it definitely handles a little better but is also definitely slightly stiffer in the rear - as expected. If you have an SR5 but want more of the OR model look and performance this works out well along with some different tires. Not to mention you'll be able to handle the rear end load the truck is rated (and that you paid) for.

11. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    LRober887

LRober887 Active Member

Member:
    Central Texas (Austin area)
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 4dr 4.0L TRD Sport
    Lift, wheels, tires, exhaust, CAI
    Hey JasonY

I had less than 200 miles on mine when I called the fine folks at Round Rock Toyota and said I hauled a big load of feed and it rode like a coverd wagon!

Took it in and later the same day, got it back! Mine rides great with or w/out a heavy load with the upgraded rear leaf springs!

Larry

12. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    ramjm_2000

ramjm_2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVa (Alexandria VA)
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab BSP
    5100's Rear TSB Dominator slider/step bars Eclipse AVN 2210 Nav/XM Leather Upgrade TRD Skid Century Royal Sheel Armor Tech Custom Rear Bumper
    Ok so I'm trying to get my head around the TSB and what folks are doing. For my own clarification the TSB adds about 1" of rear lift? correct? I'm considering getting the 5100s to level the front a bit (reguardless) and thought about a AAL kit but prettty much want to keep my milage about the same since my tacoma is a daily driver. I also don't wat the dreaded shutter that some of the lifts cause. Would the TSB and the 5100 set at a modest setting maintain the ride and milage close to stock (currently running 265/70/16s but will be upsizinf to 265/75s in the next 12 months).

13. Oct 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

tsb and 5100 @ .85. the rear settled to 1 inch above stock with the tsb so thats why i set 5100s @ .85. the tires are goodyear wrangler Duratracs 265/75r16, the wheels are stock, painted. No rubbing , no vibrations, did get alignment done

14. Oct 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    ramjm_2000

ramjm_2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVa (Alexandria VA)
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab BSP
    5100's Rear TSB Dominator slider/step bars Eclipse AVN 2210 Nav/XM Leather Upgrade TRD Skid Century Royal Sheel Armor Tech Custom Rear Bumper
    Truck looks great. When you have your tsb done did they swap out front shocks as well as the leafs? According the the tsb it should be heavier duty shock front and rear plus the 4 leaf system. Didi you juts take off the new shock and have the 5100s put on or did you wait a bit? I've read the new shock add about an inch to the front as well. I've got a new set of XDs that I'm about to install on my stock BFG rugged trails and plan on doing a tire swap next year. If the front does indeed get raised as well I'm probably going do the 265 75 16s and the 5100s all at the same time.

JR

15. Oct 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    I am under 30k miles but installed a TRD intake. Is this going to cause a problem for warranty issues on my 2008 DC if I want the TSB?

16. Oct 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    conakend

conakend Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    08 A.C. SR5, stock for now
    steering wheel cover
    I am stationed in Germany so I am going to give it a shot from over here. I called Toyota and was directed to call them here in Germany. Since they didn't give me the full number I have sent them an Email. We'll see how this goes.

17. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    It definitely should not cause problems. The intake has ZERO to do with the rear suspension.

If you installed new springs or blocks or larger wheels, you MIGHT have an issue but not with the intake.

18. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    I called the alleged Toyota Customer experience center to complain about the harsh ride on my taco 09 and to see if I can get the repair authorized and was shot down immediately. Will try with the dealer

19. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro

What do you mean you were "shot down"? Did you specifically ask to have the TSB completed on your truck or just file a complaint?

You should only file your complaint with Toyota. They will then contact a dealership to have your vehicle checked out. They will look for damaged or broken parts that may be causing the reported "harsh ride". If nothing is found, they will hopefully complete the TSB to solve your issue.

I wouldn't recommend jumping straight to asking for the TSB.

20. Nov 2, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    cspcrx

cspcrx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    I called the 800# got my ref number. Called the dealer. Went down and they took some info off the truck. Got a call from the service big shot who said no. I told him Toyota said yes. He called a few days later and said they want to look at the bump stops to see if they have hit. Hmmmm. need to make them hit so this will be done and over with. I tow my race car and junk to the track. I want the extra capacity.

Products Discussed in

To Top