1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How important is a detachable faceplate in a new Double Din

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Labinnac, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Nov 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    Labinnac

Labinnac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Ok so I obviously know that the removable faceplate is a theft deterrent and that being said, how much do you really think it helps? I want to add a double din Nav in my 2012, but all the units I want have no detachable face and/or the ones with the detachable faces have worse reviews. Im getting a VIP RS3200+ put in my truck already so I will have an alarm system.

So the real question is what do you think? Im kind of pointing in the direction of getting the one I really want but im nervous about dropping several hundred dollars just to make a tweakers payday.

2. Nov 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    What models are you interested in? I have (and many others here) the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH it has a detachable face. Amazing unit. No navi, but it can be added using 1 of 2 ways. Either get the advanced iPod cable and use an iPhone to show the maps on radio screen, or get pioneers GPS add on to make it a full navi model. Decent price still and worth every penny. By far a flagship model radio, and 1 of very very few double dins with removable face.

3. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    Labinnac

Labinnac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    My only problem with the b400BH is I have read some really negative reviews in it such as the screen stops working and that you can't listen to music while the Nav on your iPhone is going. I'm not sure if this is all true but I've read that the jvc kw-nt800hdt is a much better system with built in Nav, but of course no detachable face plate.

4. Nov 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I don't have any personal experience with the unit you mentioned so I couldn't say really. I just mentioned the 8400 because I know many people including myself are very happy with it, and it has the 1 feature you mainly mentioned... detachable face. Just wanted to give my recommendation. :)

5. Nov 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    Labinnac

Labinnac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Haha please do not take me for ungrateful! I appriciate the advice and I have looked over the unite again, but I think I'm going to go for the JVC. It seems like a better system (IMO). I guess I'll just have to trust in the alarm to keep it safe! Thanks for the input though.

6. Nov 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I have the new jvc kw800hdt something like that, dont remember the numbers but it is their flagship model. It is an awesome unit, the audio controls and crossovers are amazing. The navigation kinda sucks though, they use navtech. A little $100 garmin has better navigation. Sometimes it brings you on routes that make no sense, you cant search points of interest along your route. It does the job but the navi could be better, other than that i love my jvc.

Edit: just read your above post, i have the same one you are looking at, let me know if you have any questions about it. Look up the model on youtube there is a guy that does a very in depth like 25 minute review on it

Editedit: heres the video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QpB7ZCuoN4E
    I thought this is hilarious the guy gets really into it

7. Nov 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Oh ya and about the detachable faceplate, i wasnt worried about it. Someone actually went into my truck (i wont say broke in because i left the doors unlocked) , opened the center console and snagged $400 out of my walet but they didnt touch the stereo. This was also in a real nice neighborhood so it isnt the type of area i would worry about my stereo being stolen. I guess what i am saying is that it would be alot of work for someone to get the stereo out unless they knew what they were doing. Maybe tint your windows so no one can see the stereo easily

8. Nov 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Labinnac

Labinnac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth

But the Nav kinda sucks huh? Well that's a drag, but I'm not sure it's such a deal breaker. I wont use the Nav all the time, but I do want one that's going to be relaible when I need it. Honestly if it gets me from point A to point B with turn by turn I'm happy.

9. Nov 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah i wouldn't worry about the detachable faceplate too much. If they get into your truck you're already replacing a window so your deductable is likely met. Might as well get a new stereo out of it.

What I do is I throw a black towel over my whole dash if I park someplace sketchy. Looks like I'm protecting the dash from the sun when I'm really hiding the unit.

10. Nov 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    The nav isnt horrible, maybe my expectations were to high. Still when i compare it to a garmin the navtech is lacking a few features. When you type in a destination, 99% of the time it will only take you main roads, most cases like if your driving far that is what you want anyway. But there has been many times that i have cut miles and time off of my trip by going a different route that the gps did not find. Like i mentioned before the point of interest search is kind of weak for instance with a garmin you can search a POI near your location, near a different town, along your route, or near your destination. The navtech will just search for a POI in your vicinity or if you are more specific, say i am searching for a walmart, it will just list a bunch of walmarts from closest to farthest away. Sometimes it will take a few minutes for the gps antenna to pick up a signal, and on more than one occasion i have found myself using the navigation on my phone while sitting in front of a $1100 in dash nav lol. I mounted my gps antenna inside my dash tho because i did not want any exposed wires so that is probably why i have trouble picking up signal, most times it kicks right on though One thing i really like about the nav is the traffic alerts. The headunit uses hd radio to get traffic information and if there is a major backup along your route it will automatically re-route you. I dont hate the navigation, it has never sent me in the wrong direction or got me lost i just think it could be better and there are probably other head units that offer a better gps.

11. Nov 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    You could get the new 8 inch alpine in dash nav with the perfect fit dash kit since you have a 2012, big bucks though.

12. Nov 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    The mechanics of removable faceplates will take their toll. Clips break, stuff gets damaged from handling, contacts get worn, etc.

Don't park in shitty places. Keep good insurance. Don't leave other visible stuff in your truck that will entice a crook even more than your stereo. Most cars have double din screens now, so it's not as fancy as it used to be and most crooks are looking for more than one thing to steal.

You'll hate the hassle of having to carry and maintain a faceplate. It's a big pain in the ass.

13. Nov 10, 2012 at 4:13 AM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    If you really want double din detachable faceplate stereo, and you haven't picked one up yet, check out the Sony XAV-601BT (about $550). I've had it for a little over two months now and I really like it. I also wanted a double din with a detachable faceplate and I almost went with a JVC. I'm glad I chose this Sony because it has everything i was looking for. In the past I avoided Sony's car audio stuff because it always looked cheap and cheesy. But on this deck, it looks great and I really like the interface and menus over all of the JVCs, Pioneers, Kenwoods, etc. (but that's obviously just my preference)

I don't use navigation so I can't give specifics about the navigation, but I can say that you can play music from your iPhone while using the navigation. There are even built-in controls for music in the navigation app. The navigation is run from a free iPhone app called TeleNav GPS. So no, it doesn't have navigation built in, but it is a free app you can try out even before buying the deck. If I remember correctly, there's a TomTom thing you can add on for full nav, but that'll set you back two or three hundred dollars. And that could be overkill if you're just looking for point A to B navigation.

The reviews on Amazon and Crutchfield aren't that great because it seems like quite a few people bought it without even doing much research on and were expecting the unit to basically mirror their iPhone's screen, which it doesn't do. So don't look at the relatively low score on Amazon or Crutchfield and dismiss this awesome deck. If you have any questions or want pictures of how it looks in a second gen I'd be happy to help. Just hit me up!

14. Nov 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
  15. Nov 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Heres some pictures of the jvc mounted. Sorry for the crappy pics and the dirty truck lol. I can really only get you a picture when its dark out because i drive the work van all day, leave in the morning when its still dark and get home when its dark. Thats why my truck is so dirty, got no time to clean it :(

Labinnac- check out this thread if you want an idea of how a aftermarket double din will look in you '12 http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/216522-2012-specific-head-unit-install-kits.html

Products Discussed in

To Top