1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How important is mpg? Really? Look in.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MGH-PA, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Apr 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Ok, this is a multi=part thread. First, I'm playing with the idea of getting rid of my Tacoma AC for an 05 or 06 Tundra Dbl Cab. I want more bed depth/length, and I want more cab space. The ONLY two reasons I haven't yet is MPG and the interior styling. Everything else (for my NEEDS) is a plus for the tundra.

So, mpg seems to be a big factor to me, but it's interesting when you break the numbers down, so let's go to it:

Assuming gas averages $4.00/gallon (because, well it's not going to stay at $2 for long), and driving 15K miles a year (which is a bit on the high side for me...more like 12-13K, but still, let's use the number). Here's the cost difference (rough).

Assuming a yearly average of 14mpg for the Double Cab Tundra (is this too high or too low?):

15,000 miles/yr @ 14mpg @ $4.00/gallon = $4285 yearly fuel costs

Assuming a yearly average of 18mp for the Tacoma (about what I'm at):

15,000 miles/yr @ 18mpg @ $4.00/gallon = $3333 yearly fuel costs.

Roughly a $952 difference, or $79/month. Not a HUGE difference, but still a factor I suppose.

At $2/gallon, that obviously equates to roughly half of that or $40/month.

The 18mpg average for my truck (IF I don't get rid of it) WILL drop, because I plan to lift it. That's what spurred this question. Is it really worth it to keep this truck, lift it (I need to replace the rear springs and front springs, so I figured a mild OME lift would be in order), and drop my mpg CLOSER to the double cab tundra, and still be left with a truck that needs more space, or just bail all together? I'm still up in the air, but what do you guys think? How IMPORTANT is gas mileage to you?

The only other downside is interior styling, but eh, I can live with it.

2. Apr 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    lsocoee

lsocoee My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I think that I prefer the size and looks of the Tacoma over the Tundra.

Gas mileage is very important to me right now, but I wouldn't base your decision on a $950/year cost difference.

3. Apr 22, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    LiftedForLife

LiftedForLife Active Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DoubleC SB
    You dont drive that far annually and as long as you can swing the extra expenses, why not step up to the fullsize truck. My only reservation would be if you planned on lifting Tundra, that could get a little more expensive than a tacoma.

4. Apr 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    You make a good point MGH - I don't think MPG should be a major factor in deciding between mid size and full size. After driving full sized trucks for many years I went with a Tacoma primarily because I wanted something smaller. I park on the 9th floor of a downtown parking garage and manuvering that big old sled through there everyday was getting tiresome - like docking a battleship. I figure at current prices I'm saving less than $50 per month in gas over my old Dodge. (of course I did pick up a $500 monthly payment) so that point is a bit mute.:rolleyes:

5. Apr 22, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
    I just went through this decision process... I contemplated stepping up to a Tundy - mainly because an 08 Tundy could be had for less than a Tacoma (Taco Dcab 4x4 TRD OR vs. Tundy DCab TRD OR). My ultimate deterrent was the size - well length to be specific... a Tundy doesn't fit into my garage.

6. Apr 22, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 F-350 Powerstroke
    I'm running 16.5 - 17.5 Mileage on my lifted Tacoma (double cab)... I was originally running about 18mpg on the winter gas, so I really didn't see THAT much of a drop. You'll see it in your overall range (mines down to about 270-280 before the gas light comes on), but when you do the math (you have to figure in odometer error, which I don't think many do when calculating mpg) you really don't lose that much

7. Apr 22, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    im lifted with 265 75 16 and getting 22mpg on highway.that size corrects the speedo and matches my gps.so im pretty acurate i think on milage.go luck.and if u NEED the space ide say go for it.i would love to get a new tundra but i just dont have the need for it.and yeah gas milage is very important to me as well.22mpg or 14mpg????????.

8. Apr 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    jrw1965

jrw1965 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Southern Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '08 dbl cab long bed 4 x 4
    Front tint, Stainless steel nerf bars, Leer tonneau, Rear spring TSB, Michelin LTX A/T2 265 70 16, Pioneer AVIC X910 so far
    I think if you need the bed space and interior room, go with the Tundra. Its not that bad on gas. You have to go with your needs (and wants) I test drove the Tundra and it drives great, I just like the Tacoma more, and it fits my needs. Just my 2 cents

9. Apr 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What are your reasons for getting a Tundra?

If space/bed size is the only reason - I think you should keep your tacoma.

In my oppinion - the only reason to get a fullsize truck (that doesn't involve your career) is if you plan on towing heavy loads and fairly regularly. Because, afterall..... the Tacoma can do everything else AND save you money on gas.

If you've never had a fullsize truck before - you'll have to get used to its overall size. Moving in & around tight places is a pain in the ass. Parking is tight and you're always afraid someone's gonna hit your doors. I had a Dodge Ram for 3 years - and I'd avoid taking the truck to certain areas just because of its overall size. I remember the first day I had the RAM at work - I pulled out of my parking space and took the turn too tight and ended up rubbing one of my wheels on the bumper of the vehicle beside me. I didn't realize (at the time) I had to pull out a lot farther before making my turn.

We don't tow our jeep anymore and it was useless to keep the RAM if we weren't gonna be towing with it. Gettign back into a tacoma again was a bonus!! I'm glad we did it!!

Fullsize trucks are just too damn big!!

10. Apr 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Get what you want (and can afford). Making payments on something you aren't completely happy with sucks.

But I'll tell you, $79/month is a good amount of money to many people. That's more than two tanks of gas in my Tacoma, it's my Verizon bill, it's half the electric bill (in the summer), it's groceries for about a week, and on and on. Having said that, I will never buy a vehicle based on gas mileage.

BTW, who says gas won't be $2.00/gal for long? I bet it will because this recession is going nowhere.

11. Apr 22, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    Go with what you need man, I just sold y 3/4 ton diesel. I loved it and used it hard, but didn't really need it ALL the time. I drive alone most of the time, if i have the wife and child I am in her car, I load it all the time, but always within the roughly 1500lb payload of my taco, insurance was much cheaper, MPG is worse, but the little AC cab is cheap for me......If the tundra is better for your everyday needs, dont base it on MPG, bceycase gas $$ will change, and you will drive yourself nuts over what $900 a year...that's nothing at all...

Get what you need....

12. Apr 22, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    i say screw the tundra, keep what ya have man, IMO i feel the tacoma is built a lot better and is more durable. The only way i would say go for the tundra is if you were hauling or towing, in my case i bought a cummins for that everything else i use my taco

13. Apr 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 F-350 Powerstroke
    Tacomas get the best gas mileage in class don't they?

14. Apr 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Sorta. The only other comparable trucks are the frontier (which gets about the same mpg) and the colorado/canyon (which is just a piece of crap).

15. Apr 22, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Well a 05-06 Tundra is going to have the 4.7 V8 vvti. Tundras went from a 4 to 5 spd auto from 04 to 05.

I had both a 04 Tundra DC & 06 Tundra AC w/ the 4.7 V8 engines. The double Cab (full four doors) didn't have the vvti but after break-in (approximately 15k or so) got consistent 20 mpg highway. My 06 AC got 20 highway mpg as well, it didn't take as long to break in. FWIW, I liked the auto 4 spd better. It didn't have to hunt as much plus it didn't have the downshifting built in on downhill descents. JMO.

The older DC are nice rides. I prefer the tacoma, its size fit me, but don't scoff on mpg for the older tundras. That 4.7 V8 is smooth & a very proven engine.

16. Apr 22, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    There are other things to consider besides fuel economy:
    price difference: a base model Tacoma is about $7K cheaper than a base model Tundra. A doublecab Tacoma is about $4K cheaper than a doublecab Tundra.
    Insurance difference: given a comparable vehicle, usually a more expensive vehicle is more expensive to insure, though it may not be that much more. I'd consult your insurance agent to verify.

So add those to the cost of the fuel to see if the difference is more significant.

17. Apr 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Janster, you definitely have good points about manuverability.

To expound a bit farther, I just bought my first house, and my dad and I are doing a lot of work (not that it was necessary, we just have some big plans for the place already), and I'm finding myself hauling a lot more. The truck is doing well in the bed department, but I could stand to have it a bit deeper, and a hair longer. The tailgate SUCKS (forgive the lack of a better term), and I have to avoid stepping on it, and loading ANYTHING heavy on it.

The rear seats aren't good for anything but providing space for the front seats to slide back and forth. I can't take anyone anywhere back there. I just hauled myself and another person back from Wilkes-Barre, back was jammed full of gear, the bed was loaded with a love seat and four big kitchen chairs. I had to take the love seat this trip, and had to leave the foldout couch for the next trip with a trailer since it won't fit in the bed (length).

I also don't like that there's no side bed tie-downs. Tundras (and even my old tacoma) have tie-downs up front on the SIDES. This makes a HUGE difference in securing loads. The cargo slides on the 05+ tacoma are alright, but they're not substitute for the steel bed/d-rings on the tundra.

The PLUS side is I still managed to get 19.5mpg on the trip loaded like I was.

Pataco, do you have a 4cyl or a prerunner? I can't imagine getting 22mpg highway with a lift and 265/75s, but I suppose it's possible. I have 265/75/16 Terra Grapplers, but no lift. I've gotten close to 22mpg highway in the summer.

I'm not planning to EVER tow anything more than the 6500lbs my tow package allows, so it's not the towing factor...it's the bed size/cab space.

I suppose I'm not in one camp or another of knowing what I want. On one hand there's plenty of times my Tacoma does what I need to just fine, but there's also plenty of times I wish I had something different (primarily the reasons I mentioned above).

If I keep this truck, I'm lifting it (I know it may sound silly to you guys, but it needs a suspension overhaul, and I mind as well do it right if I'm going to keep it), and I expect gas mileage to dip to about the 17mpg overall range. That's putting me close to the tundra, but who knows.

Any other opinions/thoughts are appreciated.

18. Apr 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    In the end, you're going to get whatever you want. It doesn't sound like you NEED a Tundra, but you're sure doing a good job of convincing yourself that it's what you WANT because of a couple of minor sounding inconveniences. D rings can easily be added to a Tacoma. The bigger loads can easily be hauled with a trailer, which it sounds like you have.

19. Apr 22, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    It depends what you drive.

This guy, MPG is important.

[​IMG]

This guy, not so much!

20. Apr 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    haha the taco doesnt even fit in my garage and i live in a townhouse and my mom is in the garage and my dad is n the 1 car driveway so i park in my nabors drive way b/c they live outta town so size is not really a matter

To Top