1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How is my speedometer correct?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by blkcoma32, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    blkcoma32

blkcoma32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    98' 4x4 on tirty trees
    3 inch coilover and add-a leaf lift
    Can anyone explain to me why my speedo is correct when i'm runnin 33s, I'm not sure how much bigger those are than 225's but i'm pretty sure they are at least 3 or 4 inches bigger. Not complaining at all, its actually nice that my gauges are right! Just don't understand it!

2. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    Nobama1021

Nobama1021 Member

Member:
    6 in lift. 33 mickey thompson, all around sound system. and roll bar with light.
    did you buy it new? if it is used then maybe the previous owner had bigger tires on it?

3. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Toyota normaly has smaller tires than what the speedo's are calibrated for, so when we go up in tire size we actually get closer to the correct calibration. I would have thought with a 33 you would be about 2.5 mph faster at around 70mph

4. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    blkcoma32

blkcoma32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    98' 4x4 on tirty trees
    3 inch coilover and add-a leaf lift
    I've never heard of that luk, but i don't really understand why they would do that. yeah its supposed to be about 10% faster i think, so it should be about 7mph off! I just don't get it!

5. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    The tires are smaller factory, which gives you less miles than your odom reads. We can speculate its to short the customer or play tricks on the mpg. For what ever reason its happened for a while. Now its not on every tacoma. I had a base model and mine was like that. I suppose it is more related to the fact the vehicles are mass produced so they are the same until a certain point. The TRD's came with larger tires that a base model truck, bet those were spot on or atleast close. My stock tires were about 29" tall.

I think the tire calculator on here could tell you about what the difference should be. 10% seems to be a bit much. I mean 7mph is a big difference. 3 is about the norm.

Chris has clarified and corrected me (below)

6. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The ODO is accurate. The speedo is not. The speedo, being a mechanical gauge, is going to be less presise, as it gets a didgital signal, then has to convert it. Speedos are allowed to have a little bit of error in them, but they can not read a slower speed than what you are actually going, due to liability. Any tire change on the Tacoma may result in the speedo being "More accurate", but by doing so, the ODO is now off.

7. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks chris. Always to my rescue. I have always assumed them to both be off. As I have always had to convert them after installing the larger tires. thanks for clearing that up.

To Top