1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How I've learned to live a life fulfilled.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by RearViewMirror, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jan 8, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror [OP] Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I should start this off by mentioning that I retired from the States Largest Fire Department on July 1st last year at 47 years old. After six months of retirement I've had plenty of time to reflect on things. A perspective that I've never really had due to a constant busy schedule. There are things that are important and things that we think are important but in the grand scheme of things really are not. Please don't take this as "preachy". That is not my intent.

The first and foremost obvious item is we are all going to die. It may be today or it may be 80 years from now. But it's what you choose to do with the time in between that matters. It seems we get so caught up in our own little problems that we forget that there are people out there that are much worse off than we are. I'm guilty of it. "Dear God.... The WiFi isn't working again" for example. So I have chosen to change my outlook on life and how I live it.

Life is fleeting. Each day is a gift. Those times we are whining about ridiculous things (I'm just as guilty of the next person) just think about someone who is really facing a problem. Just be grateful that you have a minor issue and get over it. It’s perfectly okay to acknowledge that something is pissing you off but try not to complain about it and negatively affect other persons day.

Walk outside and look at that beautiful sky (day or night). Look at the sunrise or sunset and realize just how beautiful it actually is. Breath in the air with your lungs and feel fortunate you can do that. Walk in nature. That's what it's there for. Look at the stars in the night sky and realize how insignificant we actually are. Live for the moment.

Don't try to be someone you're not. Be yourself. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You are unique and you have the ability to change your surroundings. Maybe on a small scale or maybe on a grand scale. But we are all capable of doing just that.

Don't worry about what you look like. Don't try to conform to what others think you should look like. You're not a supermodel?... so what? Everyone is special in their own certain way.

We should all try to be united. We will always disagree on certain subjects, be it religion, politics, etc... and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's healthy. But it shouldn't divide us to such an extent that we isolate ourselves into groups that only think a certain way that agrees with our point of view only. We only learn when we listen. But it seems we don't do that anymore and we are constantly at odds with each other thinking of what we are going to say next rather than hearing what the other is actually saying. Just remember this one thing... We are all Americans. We come together when needed and we will always prevail. So whatever political / religious turmoil might be going on at any given time... it will pass. It always does and we will prevail.

Give. Give of yourself. Offer help anytime you can. You gain more happiness doing things for others than doing them for yourself. I wish I had done this more earlier in life. But as you get older you realize that giving of yourself is one of the most precious gifts you can give to someone else. Material things don't matter. Your time does. Take time to listen to a friend, family member, spouse, or your children. Help those who can not help themselves if possible.

Hold those you love close to you and never let a day go past without telling them what they mean to you. One day you will regret it if you don't.

Let the petty things fall to the wayside and just live.

Live your life as if it's your last day.

honda50r, HomerTaco, dtaco06 and 25 others like this.
  2. Jan 8, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    COXPLORER

COXPLORER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
  3. Jan 8, 2018 at 11:17 AM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Well said.

Certainly one of the “Golden Rules”, but I try to treat people how I would like to be treated.

I’ve had the good fortune to travel around the world and work with many different people and cultures. I’ve found that people are similar in their wants regarding family and happiness.

Enjoy the time here on this rock. :hattip:

4. Jan 8, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I firmly believe that 95% of the people in this world are good at heart. It's the 5% that mess it up for the rest of us. I agree that the vast majority of people all want the same thing. Just to be happy, healthy, and enjoy life. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way but we can always hope.

Hardscrabble[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 8, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    Well put.

For those of you tldr........lighten up, don't be a dick, and stop and look around once in a while to appreciate the good things.

tcBob likes this.
  6. Jan 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    :thumbsup:

7. Jan 8, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    lawless

lawless the rent is too damn high

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    I feel like we all have this in our American DNA, however, more and more this perspective gets neglected/forgotten/unused. Everyone has their own timing as far as maturity, life events and whatnot that makes them receptive to the message or not receptive. It would be cool if we could find ways to remind ourselves of OP's message so that it's a bit more accessible.

I saw this documentary recently where Richard Dawkins was saying that we tend to give ourselves a hard time for not progressing fast enough or thinking that we continue to neglect history and fail to learn from experience, but the truth is if you look at the fantastic progress mankind has made in the past 100 years you will see that we are fairly well developed, moral creatures that treat each other, in general, very well. Obviously, we are continually improving but... take a deep breath... smell some flowers... or something.

RearViewMirror[OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:23 PM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    Well said, well said. I've always liked an old poem written by Chief Techumseh, disregard he was in opposition to the United States... his outlook, or poem still holds some merit:

"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
    Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and
    Demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life,
    Beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and
    Its purpose in the service of your people.

Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,
    Even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and
    Bow to none. When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the food and
    For the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks,
    The fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and nothing,
    For abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts
    Are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes
    They weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again
    In a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

9. Jan 16, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle: