1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many 2 wheelers? and are you happy with it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Drewster, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Oct 18, 2008 at 12:28 AM
    Drewster

Drewster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09' Pyrite Mica V6 TRD Off-Road
    BugDeflectorII, Tube Steps
    Hey guys, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I was wondering and don't get my wrong i LOVE my truck, but since my money was a little short at the time of my purchase i got my truck with all i wanted but 4x4 and had to settle with a 4x2 with a RR Diff and I'm Very happy with that, but am i missing out? (not like i can do anything about it now) Obviously a 2 wheeler has better gas millage, and that is important to me, but i also want to be sure it will handle the winter snow, farm and off roads just fine. It's obviously going to do a WHOLE lot better then my old Saturn. But my question is, how many of you guys own 4x2's? was it on purpose? are you happy with it? and had it done great with hazardous conditions (I.E. Snow, mud, dirt)? I know Tacoma's are Awsome no matter what, and with a RR Diff it should do great in these conditions.

2. Oct 18, 2008 at 8:37 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    I have a 2WD Prerunner Dble Cab LB. My main concern about having a 2WD was towing my boat up the ramp. I have a friend with a 4WD Taco, just before I bought mine I was pulling his boat out of the water and decided to see if it would slip without engaging 4WD. Not a hint of wheelspin, so that was when I decided to get the 2WD.

Occasionally the wheels will spin a little on the ramp, but not much - and certainly not enough to have justified buying a 4WD. I went over a couple of offroad mountain passes in CO last year with it, it did pretty well. I wouldn't want to take the truck on anything rougher (that would necessitate 4WD) for fear of damaging anything (bodywork etc). Besides, I've done enough offroading to last a lifetime :)

I've had the truck in the snow, it isn't very good, especially as it had a limited slip diff.

But for 99.9 of my driving it's fine. I'll take the fuel savings and the lower initial purchase cost thanks.

3. Oct 18, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I know you posted this under 2nd gen, but I have an 02 prerunner, 2WD of course. Gets me where I'm going with no problem but I sure would love to go out and play in the mud with my 4WD buddies now and then.

4. Oct 18, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Im really happy with my PreRunner. It goes more places than my buddies Ford Expedition 4x4 can go. :D

5. Oct 18, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    Taco969

Taco969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm very pleased with my PreRunner. Especially since I'm in Florida I have no need for the 4x4. If I were still in Wisconsin I definatly would have gotten the 4x4 but I now get free snow removal:D

6. Oct 18, 2008 at 10:03 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I wheel my truck. So far my biggest issue has been my tires and not so much my lack of 4x4.

7. Oct 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM
    Taco969

Taco969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Very valid point. With the right tires and rear diff lock you can go a long ways with the 2x4. When I was in Wisconsin I ran Goodyear Wrangler MT/rs and rarely had to use the 4x4.

8. Oct 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    For most applications the prerunner is perfectly capable. Of course on anything technical 4wd is best. The locked prerunner is BY FAR the most capable stock 2wd truck you can buy.

9. Oct 18, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    Drewster

Drewster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09' Pyrite Mica V6 TRD Off-Road
    BugDeflectorII, Tube Steps
    Thanks for your feedback guys. My 4x4 co-worker has been teasing me that my tacoma sucks because mine is 4x2, but he's also kinda jerk :p. But my Good friend says 4x2 tacoma is just as or more capable than a 4x4 so, i just wanted to see what long time 4x2 tacoma owners had to say, So, thanks!

10. Oct 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Sounds like everybody is assuming a locker rear end. What if you don't have one?

11. Oct 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM
    bounrith

bounrith Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Snug Lid F2
    Mine is a Dble Cab TRD PR SB RDLock and I believe I made the right decision, considering I was tight with money last year when I bought it. I am still tight :), but that's another story.

For the city driving I am doing and 20K+/year mileage, I'm glad I didn't buy a 4x4. I probably never off-road or tow a boat anytime soon, but I know I am in good-hand when the time comes.

12. Oct 18, 2008 at 11:26 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I dont have a locker and i do very good for myself fun as hell with some challenges but i have never got stuck as long as you know what to do. Although it would be nice to get the locker i just dont see a need to have 4x4 unless i do some extreme offroading.

13. Oct 19, 2008 at 12:32 AM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    Out of curiosity, what is the RR diff, haven't heard of this?
    If you plan on driving in the snow, be sure to add about 400+ lbs in the bed. I have a 4x4, and each winter I load up 8 - 60lbs sand bags in the truck. The ass end of our trucks are way light and without the extra weight, I am sliding all over the roads without.

14. Oct 19, 2008 at 1:12 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I've got a PreRunner. The locker has gotten me out of a few tight situations just fine. :D

I'm very happy with it, but I wouldn't mind having a 4X4. That way I wouldn't have to go through the process of trading it in in a few years when I go to Chicago. I would feel a hell of a lot better with a 4X4 in Illinois in the winter. :p

On top of that, I want to be able to blast through mud. :p

15. Oct 19, 2008 at 6:54 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Very happy with it. Bought exactly what I wanted at the time (I might've gotten the Sport for the steering wheel controls instead) and I'm completely happy with it. I don't off road much and we don't have weather here that would require 4X4. I will simply never need it so I didn't bother buying something I don't need.

I agree with adding sand bags to the truck bed. I used to do run to Home Depot right before the first snowfall each winter and buy 6 50lb bags and put them in the bed of whatever truck I had at the time. Not only does it give you traction, but you can use it if you do get stuck.

16. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:57 AM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    i have 2wd and i was the only person with LSD at the last trail and i hung with the 4x4 tacos and fjs...check out the pics form our san diego run #3

i think its more fun but at the same time 4x4 wouldnt hurt

Products Discussed in

To Top