1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many bought a TRD OR and don't really off road much, do you regret the purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lightfire, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dec 8, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I think this thread should be label...who has a sport or SR5 and wish they would have gotten the Off Road.

I like my Off Road and would not trade it for either one. The main reason for me was it is an E-Locker and not an Air Locker. I also like the seats. I have switched out suspension so the Bilstein didn't matter much.

But either way...these trucks are very capable. Just depends on what you want to do.

I like to do trails and be able to go anywhere I want to go.

2. Dec 8, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    x2.

3. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    That would be me. Wish I spent some extra money to get a 4x4. I may not need it now, but when the kids get older and we start to spend more time outdoors, it would be fun.

4. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    James3492

James3492 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    EAST COUNTY
    Black-out Tail lights Painted Rims & Hood Scoop
    i am buying a TRD Sport today. =) haha.

5. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I bought my TRD OR used so i didn't have much of an option. Although I liked the locker and the seats better than the base. I would have still bought it if it was a TRD Sport, but just having the locker is a big bonus for me personally. I like what Andy said (AriZonaD54) buy what floats your boat not others. Either way it's a 4x4 and your going to use that part at some point...

6. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    johnny12345

johnny12345 Well-Known Member

Member:
    vancouver island, canada
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5
    LOL at life or death situation. I'm alost 100% sure that an SR5 or a sport is going to be able to get every where an OR get. Locker is nice its gonna get you further in two wheel but in four wheel it not gonna make that big of a difference.

When has anybody been wheelin and had to leave the the guy with a 4wd non locker vehicle behind???

If you bought the locker to save your life, you got ripped!

7. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I don't offroad much since I had this truck last August. Just minor offroading.

I test drive the sport and offroad version. I felt comfortable with offroad because I really do not like the hood scoop and tires. Like the seats better than SR5 seats. I like the locker much better than my blazer and trailblazer. I don't think blazer or trailblazer have locker (I can't remember), it just different kind of 4 wheel drive.

Out here in Utah, we got heavy snow this morning and it was 3 - 5 inches. I have no problem to use 4x4 and I felt it much improved than trailblazer. Most of vehicle with 2wd get kind of suck and too much slip and slide a little. For me, I just keep going and slow down before the light turn red. I drive 15 miles to work, and there is lots of snow on the road, took me about 25 minutes because they drive too slow on the highway...

So I don't regret that I brought TRD OR and think it will be good value in 5 years from now.

8. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    In college, I got a good amount of tow tickets. The worst was where the tow truck got stuck for a few minutes trying to get to me. I vowed "never again - I don't want excuses, I want solutions." Went with the TRD OR, and it was actually cheaper to buy new than used.

I had been wondering if I had been foolish though, thinking I could probably have gotten a cheaper package...

Last weekend I went up a mountain with a 4x4 club. Lots of snow, and we had to stop on an incline because one vehicle couldn't continue without chains. Once he finished chaining, we got going again. The vehicle in front of me was a very experienced driver in an old FJ, built for serious rock crawls and on tires that came above my waist, but didn't have any lockers installed (yet). He had to try every last trick to get moving, and slid all over the place in the effort.
    On my turn, I try 4LO, and was experiencing similar problems. I decided to turn on the locker. I put it back in gear for my second attempt, and instantly saw a difference. I walked up as if it were dry pavement. Did I say I'm still stock, on the Rugged Fails?

That moment there is all the justification I need. :)

9. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    danbow

danbow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 F150 Crew 4x4
    got the 4x4 OR TRD.. don't do a whole lot of off roading b/c I don't want to tear it up.. yet......... I don't regret it one bit though, I'm the type that keeps a vehicle for 10 yrs and I love thinking of all the adventures I can have once the "newness" wears off a bit

10. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Read my last post. I'm a 4x4 absolute NOOB. My locker just chumped a guy who put more mods and money into his vehicle than I will ever attempt, and he's been through Rubicon, Dusey, etc.

:amen: Though I need a few adventures...

11. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I bought the Offroad because if I want to go wheeling I can and not have to worry as much about getting stuck. I wanted the top of the line with every option available. Where I live there are hundreds of miles of offroad areas from desert environment to volcanic landscapes, and plenty of snow in the wintertime. I've been stuck out in the middle of nowhere before in other vehicles and have learned my lesson.

12. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    As others have said though, there are times when you're not wheeling and as such wouldn't necessarily be driving with someone who could help get you out of a jam (e.g. heavy snow). In that instance, I could see his point.

13. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    It makes one hell of a difference in four wheel drive. I would say the opposite in that it makes less of a difference in 2 wheel drive cause when you reach the place you need 4X4 its not gonna matter if its locker rear or not in a 2wd truck.

There are tons of times in which a 4X4 truck with out a locker gets left behind where the trucks with a locker and 4X4 continue on. Course a street queen like yourself wouldnt know that :D

14. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    lightfire

lightfire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe not life & death (but possible) but this post refutes your statement:

15. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Ok, I read all the posts. Have to say I just bought the 2010 double cab long bed 4x TRD Sport. I did drive the SR5 model first but got hung up on the pretty scoop (just an opinion). Here's what I will say. If you drive mostly street, with maybe occasional trails, or muddy logging roads the SR5 works nice. If you want something a bit stiffer TRD Sport or Off Road, they also handle loads such as pulling a trailer better than the SR5. What I don't like (or maybe just notice more) is the stiffness of my TRD Sport. Just sold my 02 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x and I would compare ride of the Ford to a Cadillac compared to the Toyota's harshness. Now don't get a wrong impression. I bought the Toy because I love the look and the gas mileage so far has been great. Butt, but for the amount of off road driving I do I would probably have been happier with the SR5. good luck, whatever you chose.:cool:

16. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I have never regretted buying the off road but then again I wheel a lot. The only thing I like about the sport is the hood scoop and color matched grill. I dont care for the color matched mirrors and rear bumper I think its to much. Plus why would want LSD over a locker.

17. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Congrats on your new truck, you'll love it.

Also, one last thing to throw in... I've heard people say "I wish I bought the 4x4 off-road" but never "I wish I bought an sr5" or sport or prerunner, ect... :D

18. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    2nd that for a good lol :p

19. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    I always buy vehicles that are fully loaded. Thus I picked 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD package with almost all the accessories they had. Even those I wont ever go off roading. Maybe once in a while. With so many options as your disposal, whats not to like! I am really happy that I picked this version instead of non TRD.

20. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    No regrets here. I like my OR. The only thing I like about the sport was the non-fuctional hood and the color matched grill and bumper but I'd rather have a functional locker than having looks.

Products Discussed in

To Top