1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many bought a TRD OR and don't really off road much, do you regret the purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lightfire, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    Dashe

Dashe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    Black Double Cab SR5 4x4
    debadged, Grillcraft grille with FJ emblem, KC SlimLite Driving Lights behind grille, Bilstein 5100's, Eibach 1.6" lift springs, add-a-leaf, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, BFGoodrich A/T 285/75/16, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CB with Wilson Flex antenna
    I have a 4wd SR5 and while I have not had any real problems off road as of yet, I do wish I had the locker. I plan on getting ARB lockers at some point to remedy the situation, but that will have to be a ways down the road, as it will not be cheap. All things considered though, I love my truck no matter what.

2. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    I don't regret buying my TRD Off-Road One bit. Rear Locker, Bigger Alt, Cooler, & Tow Package. I love my TRD Seats to death! I will be honest, the looks of the TRD Off-Road is NOT the best.

However i knew I was going to have the best of both worlds in the future. The dealership gave me around 4.8K off The MSRP. How can I complain?

I have a TRD Off-Road that looks like a TRD Sport:D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    focotacoma

focotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue 4x4 TRD off-road
    Im getting there......
    Off-Road all the way they have tons of features and their way worth the money over sr5 (not very significant), also I kinda like a litte chrome on my truck, also black plastic door handles dont get scratched when your hands are dirty...I like the stiff ride....And whay would I change a locked and v-trac and hsc and dac for color coordintion....??:D

4. Dec 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm glad I got the trd 4x4 off road pkg. It's what I've wanted since the 2nd gen came out and I finally got one. I have only used the 4wd a couple times and it's great!!

5. Dec 9, 2009 at 4:27 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Have you driven in heavy snow? I mean really heavy snow on hunting trails with 3 inches of snow and nothing but a layers of ice underneath? You can talk about us getting "ripped," but I hope you never get in a situation I was in a couple of nights ago when the lockers got me out from being stuck up in the mountains.

Life or Death situations are more likely happen from your vehicle not being able to move in -12 (-35 windchill) than from a relatively controlled environment of an off-road trail.

6. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

SoCaliSnowboarder77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 GSXR 600 & Snowboarders Hauler
    4x4 OFF-ROAD... that is all I need...
    No! After getting stuck in mud, I will never own a Sport 4x4. The locker is a "I rarely use it, but glad I have it" thing.

Only Sport difference i want is a color matched or black grill surround. But that's easy and cheap to replace. Unlike buying an after market locker.

BTW, I got my Coma for the same price as a black 09 Sport Prerunner. I guess So Cali has a hard time selling 4x4 O/R's. My truck had about 60 miles when I took it home.

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    mechanical lsd ftw

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Congrats on the deal! I wish that were the case in Montana.

9. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I thought about this a long time before I purchased my truck. I am not currently an avid off roader, but I used to have a blast with it. Those experiences and the ability to get around with a capable vehicle really drove my decision.

I usually go with manual trans vehicles but wanted to go with an auto this time. DAC was an item in the plus column on the OR. The fact that the OR already had a front tow hook and the locker was the other tipping point. The ride of the TRD package for someone that wants to buy a vehicle and drive it for a while was a plus due to the better quality shocks. The ONLY thing that made me think about a sport was that I could get a sport DC with the long bed. I was torn for a while, but the fact that I had a 6x12 trailer made me take the short bed option for the capability.

This was a good year to make the choice. We have had record snow falls with nasty conditions. The fact that I could take this truck off the lot and drive around in this weather with great capability just reassured me tat I made the right choice. It is a VERY capable vehicle. A real point and shoot, sure footed little animal. This from a guy that used to drive a modded F350 on 37s. :yay:

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Even if I bought a 4x4, I still would have got the TRD Off Road.

I don't care about having color matched door handles or mirrors, or the rear bumper since I'll probably end up replacing mine anyway. I didn't like the SR5 seats, but I loved the TRD ones, and I wanted that rear locker.

Products Discussed in

To Top