1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How Many Miles On Brakes?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ridgerunner, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Apr 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    DblCabMN

DblCabMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mpls, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    03 DC TRD/LTD
    Bilstein 5100's all around - Toytec/Eibach 112-620 Coils, Wheelers 5-Pack+Wheelers 2"AAL. 33x10.5x15 KM2s - Siped on Summit Racing 84-5883 rims with 3.750 BS. 4.88s. Demello HD round sliders. Home built full skids. Home built front bumper. Plasti'd badges. Energy Susp. steering rack bushings. Sway bar delete. Deck plate mod. aFe Pro-Dry. Gibson exhaust.
    Not really, it was my first time as well. Took me about 2 hours, because I really took my time.

(from memory)
    1)Jack up front end, remove wheel
    2)Take the two bolts off that mount the caliper to the rest of the truck... They're the two closest to the hub, one top, one bottom.
    3)Zip tie the caliper to the UCA so you don't damage the brake line
    4)Remove rotor for easier access to dangling caliper (once the caliper is free, there's nothing except rust holding the old rotor on, you may need a mallet to free it)
    5)Remove the retention spring and tap out the two pad pins, which release the pads - a long nail skrew helps to tap the pin all the way out if rusted/tweaked.
    6)Using a C-Clamp or irwin quick clamp compress the pistons inside the caliper to allow for 'fresh' pads/rotors.
    7)Watch a few ounces of brake fluid flood down from above.
    8)Laugh about how you forgot to remove a few ounces of brake fluid from the reservoir prior to starting your brake job.
    9)Install the new pads into the calipers after de-crapping the caliper pistons, then cut the zip tie and shimmy the caliper over your new rotor. (Don't forget to clean your pads/rotors with brake-kleen prior to final assembly, they come coated with stuff you don't want on there to keep them from rusting in the box)
    10)Place the newly assembled and cleaned rotor/caliper combo back on the studs and line up your two mounting holes, bolt the caliper back on.
    11)Mount wheel on studs
    12)Repeat for the other side, remembering to check your reservoir to see if you need to remove more fluid.
    13)Get the truck back to level, top off reservoir and pump the brakes 'til firm, recheck.
    14)Burn in the new set as instructed by randomly selecting an article from a Nissan 350z tuning blog discussing bedding new brake pads and rotors.

Products Discussed in

To Top