1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many more watts then stock?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by slobalt, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    slobalt

slobalt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Arlington, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Billet antenna, Westin Bull bar, Pro Comp 1069 wheels, BFG A/T's, Panasonic double din, nerf bars, grillcraft grill, ARE lsII tonneau cover, protecta bed mat, k&n intake
    I believe our stock headlight bulbs are rated at 60/55... What is ya'lls opinion on running 70/65. Think that would be too much for the stock harness?

2. Mar 31, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    slobalt

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Arlington, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Billet antenna, Westin Bull bar, Pro Comp 1069 wheels, BFG A/T's, Panasonic double din, nerf bars, grillcraft grill, ARE lsII tonneau cover, protecta bed mat, k&n intake
  3. Mar 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Tdup

Tdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2”in. leveled, 275/70/17 BFG ATs, Redarc brake controller, Ludwig helper springs, CamLocker tool box.
    go 55w 5000K hid in heads and 35w 4500K in fogs...thats probably the best setup you could run IMO

4. Mar 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    slobalt

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Arlington, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I don't want to run HID's. I've had them in the past and they just don't look as good as they should without projectors, don't want to deal with ballast/light failure, don't want the legal trouble.
    I'm interested in some halogens that chances are brighter then most hids.

5. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    There are no HIDs that are outperformed by halogens. None of the higher output halogens are even close to a cheap China made HID 35W PnP kit for output. As for legal troubles, I am the only officer in the Houston area I have ever heard of that even stops people for PnP HIDs. Your ballasts will last longer than your halogen bulbs. If you stick to factory 4300K temperature you are unlikely to be stopped but it IS illegal, just like not running a front plate.

I suspect if I ever write a ticket for the headlight it will be a "fix it" ticket and people will simply remove the plug from the back of the ballast, pull the HID bulb, install the halgen bulb and put the factory harness to the halogen bulb, and show it is "fixed" then return to HIDs that very same day. Kind of like people who dont run front plates and stick one on with double sided tape and take it right back off. This takes some time out of your day once a year or two and usually around a $15 court cost fee to get the ticket dismissed.

If you do decide to run illegal PnP HIDs please at least make sure they are adjusted to not blind people.

6. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    slobalt

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Arlington, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I had them before and never was pulled over for using them, I really just don't want to give any officers any probable cause for a stop or I probably would have already blacked out my tails and taken off the front plate. Not to mention I don't like the glare and don't like it when I have to go head on with people who have them in a reflective housing. This all being my reasoning for wanting to stick with halogens. I had each ballast burn out the driver side twice and the passenger once before. This was a kit I got off the cobaltss.net group buy too.

7. Apr 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    running any bulb rated at more wattage that stock WILL burn your connector and wiring. Seen it happen many times with customer cars.

8. Apr 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    HIDs will be 3 times brighter than halogens... no matter what. The risk of running anything at a higher rating than stock is more than likely to fail than an HID kit.

9. Apr 9, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    IamTacO

IamTacO red balls got me!

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    QC az
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5 TRD-Offroad
    4x2 Prerunner. Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 265-65-16, e-locker FTW! Morimoto d2s bi-xenon HID projectors, Philips 85122+ 4300K, Cobra 75 w/ 3' firefly, Kenwood KDC-MP342U w/ SIRIUS, Line-x bed liner, 4' coretrax(black)
    purchase or make a wire harness that can handle the extra wattage. at least that way you won't have to worry about the stock harness being fried

10. Apr 13, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I think that would be fine. An additional 10W of power should not enough to cause damage. My advice would be to get the bulbs and run a series of short tests.

I can state that I have bumped the watts up in my old vehicle by 10W and I had no problems at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top