1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much break and power steering fluid?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by sportsterchop200, May 9, 2013.

1. May 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    sportsterchop200

sportsterchop200 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    OME 881, Bilstein 5100 @ 0", OME 10mm JK spacer, Stock rear on 265/70-16
    The dealer told me I need to have my power steering and brake fluid replaced and I forgot to ask them the amounts needed. Im going to put Amsoil in both. Also I read that ATF is used for the power steering, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

2. May 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Do you have an owners manual?

3. May 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    sportsterchop200

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    Yes I do but no where in it can I find info about the amounts needed.

4. May 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    yes ATF fluid works in the power steering fulid, to change the brake fluid suck out all the fluid from the master cyliner and refill with new fluid, then start bleeding the brakes and keep topping off with new fluid.
    power steering, suck out old fluid, replace, work steering wheel back and forth for a while and repeat from start a couple times.

5. May 10, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    You sure the dealer isn't just trying to sell you a service? This is very easy to do, especially the power steering fluid...there is an excellent write-up on how to flush it. Look at both fluids - are they low/discolored/etc?

I ask this because my dealer told me the same thing when I had my transmission flushed. My power steering fluid was old (dark) and low, so I got a couple of bottles of ATF (dexron III) and did the flush myself following the steps shown in one of the write-ups. SUPER EASY. They also said my brake fluid was low/needed replacing. Well, I checked and it was a little down but no where near the low mark (lower than full because of pad wear) and no discoloration at all. All this is easy to do and will save you a hell of a lot of money rather than having the dealer do it...

6. May 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    sportsterchop200

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    The power steering looks like coffee and the brake fluid looks like tea. They said theres water in the brake fluid. Im having someone else do the work and ordering Amsoil which is why I was asking the amounts. It seems based on what others have said 2qts of each should be plenty to flush and refill both.

7. May 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I used a gallon to flush n fill the P/S, and I had a little left over. 2 quarts is safe to have for a brake flush, but I've not used more than a quart n a pint on most of the flushes I've done, and I flush the heck out of it. I used regular store brand Dexron3 for the P/S, and Valvoline synthetic DOT4 brake fluid. I imagine if you put your truck through some serious use, go with the higher end fluids, but, what ever piece of mind you need, then go for it. Good luck

8. May 31, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I've noticed that my power steering fluid in the container is below the low line. I have also read here that Toyota used some BG atf fluid? I was not able to find anything like that for sale around here. Can I just top it off with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF not knowing which particular ATF fluid is in the system now? I will eventually do a power steering fluid flush according to one of the DIY here. Thanks.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/TransmissionFluidTreatments/PRD~0289430P/Mobil%2B1%2BSynthetic%2BAutomatic%2BTransmission%2BFluid.jsp

9. May 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Not sure. I know that the cap says Dexron ATF, so one would assume that's ok. Others will know more, though. I did a flush with mine using Valvoleen. Very easy and quick!

10. Oct 17, 2015 at 1:29 PM
    beavis87

beavis87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '10 Silver TRD OR
    Does anyone know the actual capacities of the brake and power steering systems? I looked both in my owners manual and haynes repair manual and none say how much it takes. All it says is brake and clutch fluid is Dot 3 brake fluid and power steering fluid is Dextron II or III automatic transmission fluid. I'm curious to know but since everyone says that 2 quarts of each is enough, that is what I bought. I am going to flush with Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc for power steering and Carquest Dot 4 premium brake fluid (i know its not Dot 3 but I've read Dot 4 will work as Dot 3).

11. Oct 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM
    Old School

Old School You are ignoring covfefe by this member.

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top