1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much did you negotiate down?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by acmair, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    zznalg

zznalg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rocky Mountain Southwest
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD off-road
    About 10 days ago, I bought my new 4WD Double Cab TRD Off Road, JBL with a few extra goodies for $3000 off sticker. $31,8000 - 3K = $28,800 paid. No warranty purchase required. Negotiated in two minutes. I simply went in, showed them the pricing suggested by Edmunds and Carsdirect.com, told them I would buy if they matched it and they agreed. It's the only Toyota dealer in my town. Next closest is 50 miles away. I'm satisfied.

2. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    GAmtber23

GAmtber23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Access cab 4x4
    Window tint, debadged, fog-lite anytime mod, aftermarket taillights, low profile toolbox modded with three mountain bike mounts, JVC dvd headunit, Kicker hideaway, Fox 2.5" IFP with DSM UCA's, Allpro standard (soon to be expedition) leaf pack, 255/85r16 BFG KM2's, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers, powdercoated gloss black TRD offroad rims with color matched center caps.
    I got a 2010 Access cab 4x4 off road package for 27,675 including TTT from my local Toyota dealership. I went to the volume dealer in Georgia and they wouldn't budge past 28,500 and that's not even including the out-the-door price. I am very pleased with what I ended up paying. Also I went in with my own credit.. was 4.2% for 72 months and they offered me 3.9 for 75 mo.. Another plus.

3. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Mecha Streisand

Mecha Streisand Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Springfield, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    TRD Off Road
    Got the exact same deal for the exact same truck a couple weeks ago. I had to negotiate for a while though. Or I should say let them beg and beg me to work with them and me smiling and saying I still need to check with the dealership an hour away before i'll negotiate. In all I was there for 6 1/2 hours but I drove her home after paying exactly what I set out to.

4. Jul 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    acmair

acmair [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP PreRunner Dbl Cab Short Bed SR5
    How can you find out the actual dealer cost, instead of invoice?

5. Jul 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    The invoice price is the amount that the dealership pays the manufacture for the vehicle

6. Jul 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    acmair

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    So why would the dealer ever sell the car under invoice? To reach quotas, or do they get some sort of portion of the money that comes in from the APR? It doesn't make sense. Some dealer offered me $12 over invoice yesterday. Why?

7. Jul 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  8. Jul 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    acmair

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
  9. Jul 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    I don't think so!!! :D

10. Jul 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    acmair

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    Oops :eek: Girls on this forum are pretty rare, lol

11. Jul 1, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This info packet:
    http://fightingchance.com/

Provides invoice pricing for each and every accessory and option for the vehicle you choose. You do have to pay for it, though it is reasonable.

By combining the invoice prices of the accessories/options on your vehicle with the invoice price of vehicle, and subtracting holdback, factory-to-dealer incentives, you arrive within a few hundred dollars of ACTUAL dealer cost to get the vehicle on their lot and configured the way you want.

Invoice is WELL above dealer cost thanks to factory holdback and factory-dealer incentives. This is why Edmunds, CarsDirect, etc. are useless - they base their info off what can freely be found out, and is off base for dealer cost.

This packet let me calculate cost to get my truck on their lot and configured with every detail I wanted, and I then calculated 10% profit on that, and I had the highest number I was willing to pay for the vehicle.

Dealerships survive on as low as 3% profit...anything up to 10% profit is fair to the customer and the dealership...anything more than 10% profit is pulling the customer's pants down and bending them over. Most sticker prices are 15 to 20% profit. The dealer ended up making about 8% profit on his sale to me, fair to both of us.

Yes, but due to incentives and holdback, that is not what it COSTS the dealer to get the car on their lot, which is usually far less than invoice.

Buying a vehicle at invoice is in most cases fair to the buyer and dealer, but not a great deal.

12. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    MRSP was 27.9 and got it for 24.3

13. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    acmair

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    How did you get a Sport for 24.3? That's the price I'm getting for an SR5. I'd go with a Sport over SR5 any day as would anyone really.

14. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    acmair

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info! Gives me more room to negotiate :D

15. Jul 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    CA bred, currently living in York, PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    3" level lift 1.25" Wheel Spacers
    To meet Quota's. My dealer offered Invoice sharing that he only needed to sell 3 more cars by 6/30 to meet his quota. He made it VERY appealing to buy in order to make that quota. Quota just means they are able to receive what they request, based on previous sales. The more they receive, the more they sell; the more they sell, the more they make.

16. Jul 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Dealers get BIG spiffs from manufacturers for making sales targets. A dealer that sells X units in a month may make a $500,000 bonus from Toyota for it (just an example - bonus amounts and their targets vary).

If the dealer only needs 2 more sales to make his bonus target and it's the last day of the month, he'll practically give you the car. I've heard of people getting deals as good as 20% under cost (not invoice - cost) this way, because it's worth it to the dealer to lose that $10,000 on the sale and still net out big by hitting the bonus target.

A lady I work with got her current vehicle this way (even though it's a Dodge) and said, and I quote, they gave her a "deal so good it pissed me off".

17. Jul 2, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    CannondaleMan

CannondaleMan Active Member

Member:
    Live Free or Die! God Bless New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Speedway Blue Double Cab, Long Bed,
    I will be picking up my Taco in 3.5 hours.

Sticker was $31,333. Paid $28,540 ($2793 under sticer.) Plus the $750 rebate. Total price for the truck was $27,790.

Additionally I got the Ivan Stewart wheels (set of 5) for $210 a piece and a 7yr/125,000 warranty for $1145. (Thanks in large part to you guys and the fellas over at T4R.org.)

I researched the hell out of the truck and no one within 180 miles had a Speedway Blue truck. I walked in, knew what I was going to pay and I got the line of "what will it take to get you into the truck?" I told them the price, he walked away and came back $200 above what I asked for. Considering their document fee is $200 less than what the other local dealers charge I was going to pay it either way so I went with it. I [paid $360 above what these folks here have listed on the USAA site (I added it to my favorites for future purchases.)

Most painless ramming up the ol' keister I ever got from a stealer. (Acton Toyota, in Littleton, MA)

It does help to be ready to walk out. It helps to be looking at the end of the month. It also helps to be firm. It is your money and you bust your arse to make, so it keep as much of it as you can. The dealer will rarely sell the car at a loss, so you know they are going to make money. Some are to bend you over the barrel, and some know you are already in an adversarial situation and want to make it "painless."

I used these sites for my research to get invoice price:

http://www.cudlautosmart.com/home.aspx
    http://www.edmunds.com/
    http://www.vehix.com/

They are great because they also give you the invoice cost for the accessories that you may want to buy and negotiate into the P&S agreement. Get the deals for the accessories IN WRITING as well. I STUPIDLY did not do it last time and did not get the matching prices as we had VERBALLY negotiated but did not put in WRITING.

The advice given here has been great and I was poking around a lot to get some advice on things. Finally pulled the trigger and joined. Now we are a 2 Toyota family. Got '10 Taco and the Mrs. has an '07 4Runner Sport.

18. Jul 2, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    get that info free from other sources...

19. Jul 2, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    randyg123

randyg123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    TRD-Off Road, 2xCab, Tow Pkg.
    In February 2008, I emailed five Stealerships in my area, two in Tulsa and three in surrounding cities (each about 50 miles away). Told them what I wanted and to give me their best price, no bullshit, no haggling, just how low they will go. I told them that I was sending the same email to all the dealer around. When all was said and done I got my $32k MSRP TRD Off-Road w/ Tow, 6-CD, and pin-striping, and mandatory Convenience/Protection/Service Pkg, for $26k flat. I had to go to one of the outlying dealers as the two in Tulsa didn't even play. Two of the three outlying dealerships gave good, close offers. I gave the Tulsa guys a second chance , one came back with something like $1k off or MSRP and the other no deal at all. They both claimed that if I bought it from them I'd get better service. I laughed cuz I knew I would be using them for service no matter where I bought my truck. Didn't make sense to pull the 'service' card.

Bought my truck without ever seeing or driving it. The first time I drove a Taco is when I pulled out of the lot with it:)

For price comparison, we have the misfortune of being in the Gulf States region and for those of you who don't know, that really sucks because we are in one of the two regions in the US that Toyota has a middle-man who is contractually guaranteed to get their mark-up profits. Plus they put "Port added" convenience package BS on everything coming in.

20. Jul 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    375taco

375taco controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    OME lift w/ 1" spacer. Built Right UCA's. Tinted all the way around. De-badged. Trimming up front
    I got my 2010 TRD Sport 4x4, AT, DC, SB, Tow package, 6 disk... $28,100, sticker was like 31 and some change...1700 under invoice.. they lost 20 bucks because they ordered me a 6spd and it was wrong...haha

Products Discussed in

To Top