1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much fluid to drain and fill transmission with bigger cooler?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4WD FTW, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Feb 15, 2022 at 8:30 AM
    4WD FTW

4WD FTW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC LB 4x4
    Icon Suspension Kit Pelfrey Bumper and Skid 4.56 Gears Detroit TruTrac Rear Archive Hammer Hangers Deaver U402 Stage 1
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done a drain and fill on their truck with a larger transmission cooler installed and how much fluid it took. Looks like the stock transmission is 4-5 quarts. Cooler in question is the Derale 52506. Toyota ATF WS is $16/quart and don't want to be wasteful or be stuck without a usable truck if I come up short. Thanks!

2. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:31 AM
    BlkDakDave

BlkDakDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    07 AC PreRunner TRD/Off Road
    When I did my first (of two) drain and refill(s) with the stock cooler it took about 3 quarts. After 500 miles or so I drained the fluid again and drop the pan. I cleaned up the pan, magnets and put in a new screen. Once everything was buttoned up I added 4 quarts, brought the truck up to check level temperature. Very little drained out of the check plug so I was happy. When I pulled the OEM cooler to install the Tru-Cool 4454 there was zero trans fluid spilled. Once installed I added about 3/4 of a quart of fluid. The truck was brought up to temp for a fluid level check and some fluid drained out. With the new cooler the transmission took just under 1/2 quart of additional fluid.

If you're going to do a one time drain and fill with a new cooler I would think 4 quarts should cover it. In the end the best way to check the level is by getting the transmission fluid temperature somewhere between the recommended parameters of 115°F and 130°F. Then you will know you have the right amount of fluid in a very expensive transmission.

Hope this helped.

reallifedog and 4WD FTW[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    4WD FTW

4WD FTW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC LB 4x4
    Icon Suspension Kit Pelfrey Bumper and Skid 4.56 Gears Detroit TruTrac Rear Archive Hammer Hangers Deaver U402 Stage 1
    Thank you! I got a 6 qt package from Amazon and sounds like that will cover it. I'll update the post when I do it so future people have an idea. It's insane because 6 qts is $60 but each individual quart averages $16 after that

4. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    BlkDakDave

BlkDakDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    07 AC PreRunner TRD/Off Road
    I have a buddy that is a mechanic by trade so I'm able to get all my parts from the dealer at his price. Seems like the price was $6 a qt, but that was about two years ago when everything was affordable.

Good luck with your project!

Products Discussed in

To Top