1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much is this gonna cost me?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Smokehouse, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 3, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    Gixerkiller

Gixerkiller TW...what a silly place

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Pre Runner DCLB White
    decals, morale patches, headlights, tail lights, toytech lift w 5100s, Falken Wildpeaks.....
    https://www.toyota.com/recall/takata

http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota-takata-air-bag-expansion-jan12.htm

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags

Those are three, as you can see Toyota adds more to the list as time goes on as does everyone else. The 4runner and Tundra have some parts that are shared across the line of trucks.....as far as what....well I'm not going to research every part to find out. It may be none are recalled, or it maybe certain trim packages....It is a wait and see. Toyota customer care says no Tacomas on recall for airbags AS OF THIS MOMENT.......

The last one is the governing body and the time line in which all this is SUPPOSED to be done, we are only at the 3rd tier. there are 2 more to go and it may continue after that.
    The list seems to change monthly, just because your vehicle is not on the the list yet, does not mean it won't be.

The other way to be sure is to take your bags out and find the manufactures mark...then you will no for sure. Hell, I don't want mine replaced it is a big hassle, BUT, I also don't need bits of metal flying around the rig if something were to happen...especially with the kiddos in it.

2. Dec 3, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    That is is all Old News. Not a Tacoma on the list anywhere...

I wanted a link to this new information about Tacoma's being involved. ( they aren't )

When I see something other than a rumor and fear mongering I will apologize if I am in error.

Nothing?

jdg likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2017 at 8:36 AM
    Gixerkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    decals, morale patches, headlights, tail lights, toytech lift w 5100s, Falken Wildpeaks.....
    Fear mongering? Rumor?

Dude, Takata has no idea how many were produced.

The Tacoma is not on the current 3rd tier, there are still 2 tiers left and a possible accelerant recall.

Even Toyota has no idea if the Tacoma will be included as of yet.

Everyone is right to be concerned and due the face until this is resolved fully.

Unless you have special knowledge of this, you sir, can shove your disdain up your ass.

4. Dec 4, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    I bet you anything it's the clock spring in the steering wheel.

There is a recall to fix this free of charge.

TomTwo likes this.
  5. Dec 4, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Trust me I work in the automotive manufacturing industry. Takata knows exactly how many of these were produced.

Facts:

1. You seemed to have some information about Tacoma / Takata Airbag Recalls.

2. I have been following the Takata Air Bag issue for a bit now.

3. Tacoma is not on any of the listings of the recall. Which I stated and asked if you had better links. Which you obviously do not as none were posted.

4. I stated at this point it is only rumor and fear mongering.

5. You get butt hurt and flex out.

Oh and what is an " accelerant recall "?

Got a link for that one?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    DoorDing, jdg and vssman like this.
  6. Dec 4, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    Jckdnls

Jckdnls Roads less explored

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spicer, mn
    Vehicle:
    93 3.0 v6 sr5 5spd 08 ac or 6sp
    Dakar torsion bars
    To find recalls for your tacoma just go To. Toyotaowners.com
    Used that site to investigate a truck i purchase it was listed on the airbag recalls. And it is a 08 tacoma or. Steering wheel coil was replace. And on a wait list for the AirBags. Just like my 05 dodge i just trader been on a wait list for 2 yrs with the dodge.
    https://www.toyota.com/owners/

7. Dec 10, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    Gixerkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:

Well, I've been in the industry for ALONG time and DO have insider knowledge of this issue among others for other manufacturers.

TAKATA has an internal memo to the feds that states they are not sure how many cars are affected as THEY SOLD THEM IN LOT NUMBERS none were specified for any vehicle, THE MANUFACTURER does that.

Toyota themselves even admits and I quote..." The Tacoma is currently exempt from the ongoing air bag recall, only certain year 4runners and Tundras are affected."

The key word here is CURRENTLY.

as far as an accelerant recall, you obviously know very little about air bags, what the hell do you think makes them pop out? Horse shit?

The air bag recall is for those units that are 100% self contained..I.E air bag and cradle WITH accelerant pod all built as one unit

There are other recalls where the air bag unit and the accelerant pod are 2 individual components, TAKATA is NOT the only company under investigation for issues, there is a Canadian company that has the accellerant pods under recall FOR CERTAIN BATCH NUMBERS.
    it has something to do with the dryer powder and a reaction with the ammonium nitrate.......YES key ingredient in ANFO is used to deploy the air bag.........ammonium nitrate is corrosive.......and the pod is built of soft metal...

I'm not going to post you links for EVERY goddamn bit of info I know, YOU can find the truth yourself.

You claim this is all rumor and fear mongering....what fear? what rumor? TAKATA has a web site set up for this also and it says NO ACTIVE RECALLS AT THIS TIME.....WHICH does not say TACOMAS ARE EXEMPT, just right now they ARE NOT on the list.

Like I said before, we are in stage 3 of the recall, to be performed in 2018, stage 4 notices go out in 2018 for 2019 and 2020 notices go out in 2019 and at the same time the accelerant issue is to be determined. The recall currently is for encapsulated units, the remote bag/deployment pod MAY happen in 2020.

NOW if you know WHO made the air bag units for the Tacoma then post it,

If not, then take the information for what it is, INFORMATION for people to DO THEIR OWN WORK in finding the truth.

No, I don't trust you, I trust no one, and I don't trust TAKATA, TOYOTA. or the NHTSB to deliver all the facts.

Neither you nor I know the full extent of the recall and for one to think they do shows arrogance and stupidity. I never claimed I knew more than anyone else. I just happen to own another vehicle that is affected, oh, here is another tid bit, there is no mention of the air bag equipped Goldwing in the recall, so by your logic they are exempt......when in fact they are subject to recall for the TAKATA airbag BASED ON LOT NUMBERS......the bike must come apart to run the air bag number against the data base. some are affected some are not due to different suppliers, one in the US one in Japan....

For one to believe that the government agencies that regulate this and the companies affected have the consumers best interest in mind. yeah, best word is BACA.......IDIOT for those that don't speak Japanese.

again, your disdain is not constructive, it is in fact destructive. It is the same kind of disdain that resulted in Remington recalling EVERY model 700 rifle ever made

I never got butt hurt, I just told you to shove your disdain and obvious lack of care right up your ass..........not a but hurt and flexed out issue, simple truth.

others may want to know more or need a little encouragement to step up and question this "limited" recall.......

until this is all over NO ONE will know who is right or who is wrong.

This is supposed to be a forum to help and encourage members to go forth and seek information and help. My other car was not under the recall until 2016, under the recall vin info it said the same thing as the Tacomas, "no active recalls at this time." Then I get a letter........

8. Dec 10, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    TomTwo

TomTwo I love God but I cuss a little

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    I-85 Southbound and Truckin
    Vehicle:
    Totaled 2012 TRD Sport, 2013 TRD Double Cab Sport
    As I was reading this I was thinking the same thing...Maybe Clock Spring.

9. Dec 10, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    So we are saying the same thing.

1.) Just like every other manufacturer... Takata does know what they have made.

2.) The Tacoma is currently not under the Takata Airbag recall.

3.) You don't have any links or you would post them.

4.) Takata also says there is no current recall for the Tacoma.

5.) Never claimed to know the Full Future extent of the recall. You seem to have that covered. LOL

You really need to calm down some also. It isn't good for your blood pressure.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    DoorDing likes this.
  10. Dec 10, 2017 at 7:33 PM
    Gixerkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    Dude, my blood pressure is fine, you are the one who made claims that you have been in the industry for a long time and have been following this closely.

You do not have any supporting documentation that the Tacomas are NOT on the recall list yet you post matter of factually that they are exempt

as far as number 3 in your response....you are damn right I will not post INTERNAL memos, will get MY contacts in serious trouble.

The real fact is EVERY car with an air bag IS under the recall as of today, the only way they are NOT under recall is when this mess is finished.

The Canadian company did not use TAKATA air bags, just the inflation module, still recalled, but not under THIS recall.

I found this by searching the net.

No I don't have the full extent of this recall, but, I don't claim things are exempt when they are not, you have made that claim..post #18 and #22

Now, if YOU have some sort of real world information on WHO made these air bags, then post it so we ALL know.

there is no manufacturer label on the ones in my rig.........makes me think they are built of several supplied parts.

Fear mongering is the bullshit that the sissy left wingers are spewing about Trump and how everything he does is the end of the world.

rumors are statements not based in fact......the recall and what vehicles is based in fact, not a rumor. rumors are National Enquirer.

You can trust your information if it makes you feel warm inside and safe. I will continue to question this until it is done. my kids come first and shrap flying around a vehicle from something that is supposed to save them is a very big concern.

this has got out of hand and I am done with this and no, were were NOT saying the same thing, you stated no way, exempt, I stated possibly, IF.....

my post about the op getting it checked out and asking about the recall is the only way to be sure as the DEALER will have the new info LONG before the consumer.

this is one of the reasons I was hesitant to join another forum, no one accepts others info or listens, everyone points fingers and states they know more without ANY form of proof (told you where I got mine in SEVERAL posts. NOT my job to do the work for everyone)......reason I told Suzuki and Yamaha I would no longer spend time on the forums correcting the mis information on their recalls.

END FOR GOOD!!!:bucket:

11. Dec 10, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    My last comment also.

You're right, all these forums (Suzuki, Yamaha and Tacoma) are screwed up and you are right.

Later Chicken Little.

;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top