1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much is too much?!?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacoman78, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Apr 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    tacoman78

tacoman78 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Limited Dbl Cab Prerunner
    Deck Mod
    So. I have a question. I'm in the market for my first Taco, and I really don't have a whole ton of money to throw at it initially. I live in Southern California and I have been doing a lot of searching for Taco's in the area to see what I can find. I'm looking for a 2002-2004 Dbl Cab 4x4. With relatively decent mileage.

Eventually the truck will become a commuter car between So Cali and Nor Cali, but for now it will be a daily drive around town and occasionally it will make an appearance in the snow and mud depending on whether it's hunting, snowboard, or hiking season.

I have about $11k cash and I'd really like to not go over that. I so do you have any suggestions on negotiation tactics with dealers and private party. Cause I've seen some Taco's locally with 150k miles and the seller is asking $15k or more? Is this what I have to look forward to? Or should I just walk in/up and say, "hey I have $XX,XXX cash money, hundred dollar bills, and I want that truck," and see what they say? Or do you think there is another tactic to use to close the deal on a truck that I like.

Thanks.

P.S. I live in a city that is north of LA but south of Fresno, not much choice in Taco's in my town, but I'm willing to drive out of town to get a good deal, but i really don't want to drive for 2 hours only to be told that we can't make a deal then have to drive home empty handed...well except for the cash I have.

Thanks.

2. Apr 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    scriber007

scriber007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It really depends, sometimes it just out of luck. It took me 5 months to find my doublecab daily commuter. I would always check carmax, sometimes they have the better deal. I know these particular models have high resale value.

Good luck.

3. Apr 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sierra Denali
    I would check places like craigslist.com or other for sale by owner sites. Private parties will deal easier than a dealer. Let them know how much you have and stand firm with your offer. What I found is if you find flaws with the truck, point them out to the seller and use them in your negotiation. (Tire wear, dents & scratches, worn parts) Don't be afraid to look it over really well, take it for a test drive and stop in a parking lot and check the underbody and the interior buttons, etc.

4. Apr 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    StrongYota22

StrongYota22 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 Double Cab Prerunner
    Black Low Pro Toolbox.. More to come soon!
    This couple wanted 7k for my doublecab.. I pointed out the truck needed new tires, the rims were in terrible shape, the tailgate had a dent in it, and the bumper needed replacing due to the idiot owner backing it into something. Then I offered $5,200 they tried 6 grand then I said I have cash. Their eyes got really wide when i showed them the cash :eek:. They took the offer quickly after that. So basically make them feel as insecure as possible then stab them with cash. Seemed to work for me. :D

5. Apr 29, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    Tic Taco

Tic Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I like the way you think :thumbsup:

6. Apr 29, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Murrieta, CA