1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much oil does the 2.7 hold?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by The Shape, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    Ta the Toyota

Ta the Toyota Member State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Seeing this thread last saw action 3 yrs. and 11 mos. ago, I am simply updating/clarifying the information for anyone who now owns a 2009 or later 2.7 L 4-cylinder Tacoma. I cannot speak for those who own an earlier model. The "Toyota Recommends" statements are directly taken from my manual.

Oil Used: Mobile 1 or Valvoline 100% Synthetic 0w-20
    - Toyota Recommends: "SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 engine oil may be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather."

Oil Quantity Used: 5 qts. (this quantity places oil within the "full" dimple/notch)
    - Toyota Recommends: Not Provided; however, Toyota does state, "The approximate quantity of oil needed to raise the level between low and full on the dipstick is indicated as follows: 2.7 L 4-cylinder (2TR-FE) engine 1.4 qt. (1.3 L, 1.1 lmp. qt.)"

Miles Between Changes: 5,000 (what I'm comfortable with; I notice zero negatives)
    - Toyota Recommends: Not Provided
    - John Doe Recommends: From 3,000 to 15,000, I have heard it all. When I lived in AZ, I changed it every 3,000 or so due to all the fine sand.

Note: I check my oil level either before I turn the vehicle on or 10 minutes after I turn it off. In both situations, the oil has drained into the reservoir where the dipstick takes the measurement. Both tactics are recommended by multiple oil companies...Mobil being one of them. Seems to make a lot of sense too. Running the engine and checking the level during or shortly after turning it off does not take into account the oil within the system.

Source: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM35883U/pdf/sec_4-3.pdf

2. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    Yea i always put 5 quarts in mine reads perfect on the stick if needed i can always put more in. rather under fill in the begining rather than over fill

3. Mar 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    2.7L = 5.5 qts, OEM oil filter, 0-20W synthetic, with a 5K change interval.
    Works for me!

Products Discussed in

To Top