1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much wiggle room on used taco's on lots?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by apeekevo, May 13, 2015.

1. May 13, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    apeekevo

apeekevo [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello All, I am hoping to buy a gently used taco soon. Trying to do all the research I can. First I was leaning to a 2007/8 under 100,000km, but am learning how they don't depreciate much. So seeing as I want this truck for MANY years, I have decided its probably better for me to spend a bit more on something newer, with low km's. This is leading me to a lot of lease returns etc. and more often than not, vehicles on a lot. Is there much room to wiggle on the sticker price of a used taco on a lot? Should I expect to be get that lowered much? I would think there is lots to be made on a lease return.

For example, not a lease return, but do I have a realistic shot at dropping the price of this:
    http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/T...1046681/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_8
    down to $26 or $27,000 + tax?

Or should I be able to get this down to around $26,000 + tax:
    http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/T...140501154649207/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_34

I am really out to lunch on knowing how much I can move the price on a lot for a used vehicle.
    Thanks for your time!

2. May 13, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    The values you want are basically the average trade in value of those trucks from Canadian Black Book. I think you can probably wiggle off 1-2K from a used vehicle price on lot, but anything after that will either require waiting for a rare sale event or desperate dealer.

Why not go in, test drive, and offer them your price and see what they do. Just remember to walk away if what they offer is above what you are willing to pay.

3. May 13, 2015 at 9:31 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Maybe slight wiggle depending on the dealer. I got my '06 DCLB TRD Sport with 142,000km for $16k. It really depends on if you can find a nice dealer who will knock a bit off the price or if you can find a dealership who don't really know what they have in their lot. For example, the guy wanted me to pay more when we sat down to start signing papers... that did not fly to say the least haha. Good luck and be patient!

4. May 14, 2015 at 10:02 PM
    apeekevo

apeekevo [OP] Member

Member:
    That's guys, so I should not be hoping for miracles and just be happy with what I can afford :) anyone have luck getting a great deal in Calgary? I am on Vancouver island and it seems what costs $31,000 here is about $27,000 in Calgary...anyone know why that is? What should I be wary of?

5. May 14, 2015 at 10:10 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    From what I understand all of the dealerships, except one in Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island are owned by one company. So not much competition there. Not to mention there is no sales tax in Alberta. You would have to pay the sales tax though if you bought here. Where did you see this much cheaper Tacoma? There are also auctions in Calgary regularly on used fleet trucks and Tacoma's do go up for auction, but those truck are usually in rough shape.

Any truck from Calgary could have rust issues, just like any truck in Canada pretty much. Watch for trucks with the fenders wore out or worn sounding/feeling suspension. The odd Tacoma finds its way into the oilfield and you REALLY don't want that truck second hand. If you drive one pay attention to the feeling of the brakes, any play in the steering, and the feel of the suspension. If the truck vibrates at any speed or something feels off there is probably something on the truck that you don't want to pay to fix.

6. May 17, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    apeekevo

apeekevo [OP] Member

Member:
    Great advice...I have decided for the couple thousand I could save, after air fare, hotel, gas etc it's just not worth it to me. Too scary buying a one way ticket! And the climate here is so much better... So the trucks here havent been in much snow

7. May 17, 2015 at 1:15 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    What will really cost you $$$ bringing a truck from Alberta is the PST hit bringing it back, which you have to pay anyways, and whatever you end up having to replace to pass provincial inspection.

Products Discussed in

To Top