1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much would you pay for this

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ak97taco, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Jan 24, 2022 at 4:54 AM
    ak97taco

ak97taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Williston, ND
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB
    Exterior 2.5" leveling kit Rocktrix 17" wheels 285/65/17 Yokohama Geolandar's Leer shell Diode Dynamic fogs Morimoto XB Amber headlights Alpharex taillights Body Armor Hiline bumper Prinsu roof rack TRD Pro Grille Caliraised LED 42" amber light bar 2 - bumper light bars and 2 pods behind grille Overland Equipped aux power tray Meso Customs puddle pods with switch Interior LED light kit Meso Customs stealth pro shift knob Oostroma dual latching relay for shift knob Clazzio leather seat covers Clazzio seat warmers Quick charge USBs Dual, amber & white lightbar switch from Cali Raised N2 Designs remote start with app Meso customs interior black out kit AJT Designs interior black out kit Taco Garage DSM phone mount
    I'm looking into selling my 97 since I just got a 2016 tacoma, what do you guys think is a good price? I'll list everything I've done, and everything that needs to be fixed.

It's a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 DLX Ext cab. Currently has 313xxx on the odometer.

-Oil changes and greasing U Joints every 3-5k miles
    -Head gasket 55k miles ago
    -OME Dakar leafs 50k miles ago
    -New upper/lower ball joints 10k miles ago
    -New inner/outer tie rods 10k miles ago
    -Whole new clutch assembly, everything new 7k miles ago
    -CV axles 25k miles ago
    -Center support bearing 25k miles ago
    -3rd gen 4Runner bucket seat swap
    -Front brake pads and rotors 1500 miles ago
    -Spark plugs, wires and coil packs 20k miles ago
    -K&N cold air intake
    -Steering rack and pinion 80k miles ago
    -EGR Delete
    -Throttle body spacer
    -Yakima roof rack
    -3" Toytec leveling kit
    -Fuel pump 70k miles ago
    -Tons of extra lighting
    -I replaced every component in the AC system, except the tubing, there's a leak in one of the lines and I'm too cheap and lazy to figure out where it is
    -Full size spare, with *almost matching wheel
    -3rd gen 4Runner mirrors

I want to say that's it. Or at least all I can think of at the moment. Now the stuff that needs to be fixed

-Needs new tires
    -4x4 doesn't work properly
    -Needs new front struts and rear shocks - I do have them, just don't have time, bolts are seized on and I need a spring compressor to get the Toytec kit off the old struts and onto the new ones
    -One of the temperature selector cable ends broke, very difficult to change temperature
    -Clock doesn't work
    -One of the cab mounts is rusting pretty bad
    -Typical rust, rear wheel wells, under the doors, tailgate
    -Alpine ILX 007 screen is broken
    -E brake doesn't work
    -Windshield wiper fluid sprayer doesn't work
    -As stated above, AC doesn't work, there's a leak
    -Dash vents are broken
    -Driverside door handle is cracked

I want to say that's all. I'll upload photos later today.
    I did 99% of the work on it. I want to say everything but the clutch and alignment after doing the front end
    What do you guys think? How much do you think I should try to sell this for? Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  2. Jan 24, 2022 at 5:06 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    Maybe 1000-1500, high miles and can’t be driven without work.

Montana_Actual likes this.
  3. Jan 24, 2022 at 5:11 AM
    ak97taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Williston, ND
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB
    Exterior 2.5" leveling kit Rocktrix 17" wheels 285/65/17 Yokohama Geolandar's Leer shell Diode Dynamic fogs Morimoto XB Amber headlights Alpharex taillights Body Armor Hiline bumper Prinsu roof rack TRD Pro Grille Caliraised LED 42" amber light bar 2 - bumper light bars and 2 pods behind grille Overland Equipped aux power tray Meso Customs puddle pods with switch Interior LED light kit Meso Customs stealth pro shift knob Oostroma dual latching relay for shift knob Clazzio leather seat covers Clazzio seat warmers Quick charge USBs Dual, amber & white lightbar switch from Cali Raised N2 Designs remote start with app Meso customs interior black out kit AJT Designs interior black out kit Taco Garage DSM phone mount
  4. Jan 24, 2022 at 5:13 AM
    ak97taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Williston, ND
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB
    That's halfway what I was thinking I would get out of it. I did drive it from Virginia to Ohio, 500 miles. Then from Ohio to Texas, 1300 miles in the last month after doing brakes and rotors just fine. It doesn't seem to want to die. Lol

5. Jan 24, 2022 at 5:17 AM
    ak97taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Williston, ND
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB
    I want to say the previous owner did an engine swap, the body has 313k on it but I think the engine has around 200k on it I think, I don't have any documentation on the swap, but I do know that the 97 3rz had a distributor and this one has coil packs, plus the top end has around 55k on it.

I'll get more pictures when it gets lighter outside

6. Jan 24, 2022 at 5:18 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    List it at 4000 and see what happens, you can always come down.

7. Jan 24, 2022 at 8:25 PM
    LearningToFly

LearningToFly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northeast Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab
    What it will bring may surprise you. The taco tax is pretty high nowadays. What’s wrong with the 4wd? You could probably sort a couple of these problems out and get more out of it.

8. Jan 24, 2022 at 9:45 PM
    970btu

970btu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4 5spd ext limited TRD 55K and counting
    OME, SPC UCA, ARB w/warn 10K winch, TG Rock Defense Rear, Marlin Clutch, Custom hi clearance under bed spare mount. 285/75/16. A ton of repairs done and a list up to come modifications.
    Is it in VA or Texas now?

9. Jan 24, 2022 at 9:47 PM
    Retumbo7

Retumbo7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    ...Bout tree fiddy.

10. Jan 25, 2022 at 2:28 AM
    ak97taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Williston, ND
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB
    Texas

11. Jan 25, 2022 at 7:12 AM
    AmherstAndy

AmherstAndy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2003 2.7L 5 speed, 4x4 J shift, Xtracab
    Tires are always an issue on used vehicles. Buyer may not like the cheapos you install to make a quick sale. I would just price it how you like and state that the asking price accounts for the worn tires. E-brake could be an easy fix, and may be necessary if your state has safety inspection. 4wd is the one that is probably going to hurt your asking price the most. I would at least determine what is wrong and what it will cost to replace. FWIW, I replaced my ADD actuator over the summer. I bought a dorman part with a 20% autozone coupon for less than $200 with one day shipping, IIRC...it was an easy fix (didn't need to drop the diff on my 5 sp 2.7L) and it works better than a broken OEM part, and just as good as a $600 OEM part (for now at least).

Lastly, I don't know how Texas buyers will react to a little body rust, but I think there is a moral imperative to be upfront about the condition of the frame. If the frame is suspect, then disclose this and price accordingly. If you can attest that the frame is sound and a neutral third party would agree, then likewise, state this and also price accordingly.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  12. Jan 25, 2022 at 7:18 AM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My truck identifies as a Prius.

Member:
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue - Tacoma TRD Offroad DCSB
    Oh look, another mod....
    Hey, we can bid on it Price Is Right style!

I bid: Tree-Fiddy-Won

13. Jan 25, 2022 at 7:35 AM
    Wulf

Wulf no brain just damage

Member:
    First Name:
    Kira
    1789 28th St, Boulder, CO 80301
    Vehicle:
    rock raisin
    In CO I think you'd get about $4500 for it :notsure:

14. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:18 AM
    ak97taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Williston, ND
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB
    Even without the 4x4??

15. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:21 AM
    Wulf

Member:
    First Name:
    Kira
    Vehicle:
    rock raisin
    ah, I missed that part. Could probably still get $3000 for it. The market for Tacomas here is pretty hot, it looks like clean 1st gen tacomas are going for $7500-12000

For whatever it's worth in 2018 I sold a rolled 2wd base 3rd gen Toyota truck without power steering or A/C for $1000 and the market has only gotten crazier since.

16. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:24 AM
    ak97taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Williston, ND
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB
    Dang that's crazy! I'm sure I can get the 4wd working especially having a spare vehicle. Probably something stupid.

Wulf[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:26 AM
    Wulf

Member:
    First Name:
    Kira
    Vehicle:
    rock raisin
    It's worth checking that your hubs are engaging properly and working inwards from there

18. Jan 25, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    Kansas_Taco

Kansas_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2002 Green Extended Cab - SR5
    Might be able to get a bit more by splitting the shell and truck. Of course I'm likely saying that as I'm trying to find a proper fitting access cab shell. o_O

((Holler if you want to sell it alone))

Wulf likes this.
  19. Jan 25, 2022 at 10:52 AM
    970btu

970btu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4 5spd ext limited TRD 55K and counting
    OME, SPC UCA, ARB w/warn 10K winch, TG Rock Defense Rear, Marlin Clutch, Custom hi clearance under bed spare mount. 285/75/16. A ton of repairs done and a list up to come modifications.
    Pm sent. I'm in Texas

LearningToFly likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top