1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How often do you engage RR Differential?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jrdbrn, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Unsubscribed.

Fink

2. Oct 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    In the owner's manual, it does tell that the strange noises are NORMAL. It sounds like if the driver is unaware of this, he would naturally back off... then go to Plan B (the rear locker).

What the book doesn't say (and why I beat the A-TRAC drum) is that you need to put your foot into it... and the A-TRAC does indeed engage all 4 tires just like lockers do and will pull you through. I am only fighting the lack of information, and if you are not interested in learning more, than please skip over my replies... a hundred others who don't post here are getting details that they appreciate.

The rear locker and A-TRAC do work together, then the A-TRAC only works the front when one of the front tires looses traction... that happens under 3 mph. Less noise from the A-TRAC device.

3. Oct 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Details like put your foot in it if your getting stuck? Or the ones from the owners manual? Or that plan B will actually work?

Sounds like your talking to people that have no idea what they are doing. Oh wait thats your intent

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Yes, I am addressing people who want to know more instead of the bunch who put their head in the sand and repeat the words locker, locker, locker! LOL

If you don't have or may one day want to have an '09+ Off Road 4WD, then nothing I say will help you.

The owners manual only says that the odd noises made with A-TRAC working are NORMAL. DAC also makes some weird sounds.

What I say about putting your foot into it (if the terrain seems to be halting your forward progress) is from personal experience... and was recorded last year climbing One Tri Hill... I will add that video clip... It shows the steepness and loose silt surface bringing me to a hault... I mashed the gas pedal and 'woke up' the A-TRAC... and the truck then began to move on to the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG3KhKR0NJk&feature=player_embedded

A-TRAC on a stock 4Runner doing what only had been done with front and rear lockers previous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvtTKzVy2M&feature=player_embedded

5. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    Broken record...

6. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    See... some want a mature discussion and others want to stay in kindergarden...

7. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Ding ding ding. Winner! Your not the only one with personal experience

8. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Well of course not... why would you think that? Everyone who has A-TRAC and REALLY used it in the harshest conditions knows how great it is. You need to go to other forums that don't have a majority of 2WDs and street cruisers to read those reviews, usually... But, there are some good reports here on TW.

9. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    HB Taco

HB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 FX4 S Crew 3.5 TT
    Yes that is what I was referring to. The video clip of the 4runner is excellent to show the ATRAC braking the front wheel that is in the air (I bet he had the rear locked and clawl control helping). Not bashing ATRAC at all. Just adding that when the locker is engaged it will move the truck where the ATRAC is struggling without it. Lets face it - having direct drive to both wheels is better than braking one wheel so the other can get traction (in which case your sapping power and straining the brakes but you might get through I suppose). Don't get ME wrong I think it's great, the locker is sort of a last resort. Why put extra strain on the rear diff if you dont have to. In my case I had to a few times and it provides a higher level of traction IMO. Haven't tested it in the sand, I'll take your word for it there. Cheers

10. Oct 28, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Cool... Sand is best driven in high range with TRAC, not low range... Low Range has too much torque and just wants to dig you in. It isn't horse power that helps in sand, it is floatation and not spinning tires. I want to drive a bit faster than low range allows, usually.

I found that TRAC, by reducing tire spin, really helps in sand, even eliminating the need to deflate in some conditions. If conditions do make the tires dig in or the truck struggles, then lower the pressure.

When new, testing the truck in sand, I did go from TRAC to Open Diffs. (VSC OFF MODE) and the truck did get stuck... That is where I used A-TRAC and it did drive the truck out of the stuck... and I went back to high range with TRAC and continued to drive about (at 32 psi).

11. Oct 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    HB Taco

HB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 FX4 S Crew 3.5 TT
    Yea Low range isn't for the sand unless your trying to pull someone out whose stuck! My 99 Tacoma had open diffs and did just fine in the sand with the tires aired down. Nice write up on the rear diff breather. I've got to do that before I soak it!

12. Oct 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thanks!

I post here to be helpfull and add information... I really am not trying to dis' anyone personally... I don't follow TW members and post 'derp' all over the place... I guess I am too old to understand that. Sure it is fun to discuss or engage with different ideas... no need to get rude or nasty... lets have fun.

I am happy to share my desert and Baja trips and my discoveries using the Tacoma. I have been four wheeling my entire life in a variety of vehicles owned by my family or friends and have personally owned and off roaded in a VW dune buggy, a Jeep Cherokee Chief, 3 4WD Subarus (not the AWD ones), and 3 4WD Tacomas.

Products Discussed in

To Top