1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How often do you flush the PS fluid?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Nixinus, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Oct 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Nixinus

Nixinus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    I hear it is a bit of a mess but I would like to do it myself. Anyone have experience doing a power steering fluid flush? How much fluid do I need? Any write-ups or directions you can point me to? Thanks TW.

2. Oct 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    For my 4.0 v6 it takes about a litre. Two if I do it really thoroughly. It's not too messy if you have everything prepared. A bucket, plug for the reservoir and stuff. Do it of the fluid is contaminated. Mine gets contaminated pretty quick unfortunately. I don't know how. I start to lose power steering because of it. New fluid helps a lot. Don't do it unles it's needed basically.

3. Oct 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    ^What he said. It is pretty easy to do and not messy if you are prepared correctly. Unfortunately, I wasn't really and made a mess. :D Like everything else on the Tacoma, it is so simple...

4. Oct 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I flushed mine at around 20k miles, it had crud in the rezzy. Also installed a Magnafine filter in the return line.

Hopefully this weekend I can plumb the oem trans cooler as the PS cooler.

BTW, when I did the flush, I used Mobil 1 ATF.

PK

5. Oct 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    Nixinus

Nixinus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Do you guys remove the return line and start the truck? PK, did you flush it with anything to get the gunk out?

Products Discussed in

To Top