1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how often to clean TRD high flow drop in?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by teej, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    teej

teej [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    OEM bed mat, Extang Trifecta tonneau, XM satellite radio, remote start, bull bar, hella 500s
    i'm thinking of getting the TRD drop in high air flow filter to get rid of that crappy stock filter. I read thats its re-usable and washable like the K&N filters, but i'm wondering how often should it be cleaned. I don't see anything anywhere on that topic? Clean as needed?

And if anyone has this air filter drop your 2 cents on it too! I just want a better filter than stock and don't want to spend the money on an intake.

2. Nov 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    pauls2ndblessing

pauls2ndblessing Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    AFE pro dry is around 60.00 and reusable for the life of the part. I know your thread is about a TRD but I believe the general consensus around here is the Afe is the way to go.

3. Nov 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    11 Color Matched Grille, Pro comp 7089s, 265/70/17 Wrangler Duratracs, Black Running Boards, Tinted Windows, Bed mat, Weathertech Floorliners
    The stock filter isn't all that bad.. You have a much less chance of having a problem with the stock filter. My wifes Subaru had trouble with the K&N (CEL came on after 1,000 miles). I decided to go back to the paper filter for her car.

With that said, I have a K&N due to the fact that I will keep this truck a very long time and it will pay for itself in the long run. I have never had any trouble with a K&N in my current Tacoma or my 1st gen, so I am a believer in them for the Tacoma.

I usually clean mine at least every 6 months (which is 3,000 miles for me). Sometimes it needs it more than others. If you take it out, you can tell if it is starting to get dirty.

EDIT: Oops, I read again and saw you were asking about the TRD.. oh well, here is some info on a K&N :)

4. Nov 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD-OR DCSB
    Just enough! Other vehicles: 2015 Mustang GTPP 2014 Prius 2010 4runner SR5 4x4 2009 TRD-OR AC
    Just eyeball it. If it's real dirty, clean it. Usually around 40K miles for me.

To Top