1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How on earth can you get even an entry-level job!!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by acmair, May 8, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    Holyfather

Holyfather Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX Pro TRD
    Front Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75"
    Took me a year and a half after graduating to finally get my entry level job. Only got it too because I had done some work previously for them. Best way is networking.

2. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I hated hearing that "need XXX years in expericene"..If you wont hire me, how do i get those years?

3. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

tacoma4x4girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree if you know someone that could help you it will make a difference. I know that's the way it is at alot of places where I'm from (Chevron refinery, Huntington Ingalls, etc.)

Good Luck! Keep Trying!!

4. Jul 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Some great points people made so far. IMHO after 20 years of trying to make a living :) networking has always been #1. That doesn't always mean trying to make friends. It starts with having a clear idea of your short terms goals and at least a vague idea of a long term goal. Like somebody said, always send a "Thank You" note after each interview to everybody that you spoke with. A humble attitude and showing a willingness to work hard once you get somewhere will work wonders. You have all the time in the world once you're older to be a prick at work.

It is tough getting your foot in the door - maybe a couple of courses related to the travel industry while you search would look positive?

Keep a positive attitude even when it's difficult and kick ass once somebody gives you a chance. Good luck!

5. Aug 15, 2012 at 5:49 AM
    tim allan

tim allan Well-Known Member

Member:
    apex, nc
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab trd offroad
    getting a job in a field is like earning credit, when you apply for a credit card its always insufficient credit history and same with a job you don't have enough experience...

6. Sep 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    BIGGJERRYC

BIGGJERRYC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Lansdale, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DC 6spd
    How well are you applying yourself to getting this job?

I cant tell you it has a lot to do with selling yourself. I have put out ads and hired people... and I can tell you that I had no interest in people that came in looking for an entry level job. Its it the people that come in and sell themselves. When they left the interview, I wanted them to work for me.

For past experience, ignore it unless it is obviously mandatory. When you worry about previous experience and all of these other "requirements" employers ask for, you are just putting obstacles in front of yourself. They are just guidelines a lot of the time.

look at it this way... Should you be looking for the employer, or should the employer be looking for you?

Easier said then done, but if you keep this mindset, you up your chances of getting somewhere.

7. Sep 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Getting an interview is the first priority. Any way you can. Most companies have that xx number of years to weed out resumes. My experience is that once you get the interview, all that "experience" doesn't matter. It boils down to: Can you impress/relate to/fit in with the person or persons interviewing you. Also, find a way to associate your life experiences into something that relates to the job you want. Seen it done many times.

8. Sep 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    imnluck

imnluck Elkaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Dallas Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Sport
    so far-Spyder ind headache rack; but there will be lots more to come
    agreed, dont be cocky but surely confident you can do what they need to be done. from the first handshake when you give them a resume personally (very important), to when you go ask for that raise you know you deserve....that is of course assuming someone instilled a work ethic in your head, which seem more and more rare now. keep your chin up, and dont be afraid of being told no

9. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:14 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    As the old saying goes, "it ain't what you know, but who you know."

I'd say that over the last 15 years, every gig I have landed was via networking. Not only does that get you moved to the short list, it also gives you insight on what the position is really like.

Strike up conversations and work your way into the 'so, what do you do for a living" question. If it's something of interest, let it be known. Often times, the good positions never get advertised because they get filled via networking.

10. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I would imagine security checks for airport jobs are pretty common place you have been a good boy haven't you? When you fill out the forms except any hours if that is possible late out or early morning jobs often are harder to fill.

11. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    All good advice here and I entirely agree with networking. The larger your network, the more opportunities to make a connection that will be fruitful. Another alternative, if you belong to a church, is to ask for assistance through the congregation. You never know, but some members may own their own businesses, are in a position to hire, or can point you in the right direction. Also, maybe get involved with some charity work. Many businesses support charities and many business owners take part in philanthropy. By demonstrating a work ethic through charity, you may impress someone in a position to give you a paid position elsewhere.

The way you present yourself is key. Clean, neat, and dress for success and always monitor your speech. If your a smoker, stop. As a person has interviewed many people over the years, I can smell smoke on their clothes the second they walk in the door. It is off-putting (and I smoke cigars on occasion). "Yes, Sir... yes, ma'am's," also go a long way as well as addressing someone formally: "Mr. Smith, Miss Jones," whatever. No "yeahs," or "uh,huhs." Never talk about how some other prospective employer treated you poorly. Basically, never ever whine. Look someone in the eye when you talk with them which conveys sincerity, interest, and confidence. Never slouch... stand tall. Use a firm handshake. Be positive and smile. No one wants to hire someone who looks like they have already been defeated in life. Simple things, but often lacking by inexperienced folks entering the workforce.

I think your persistence will pay off. I know it will. Go out there and bust your butt... sell yourself. Good luck!

12. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    ... or giving favors :spy:

13. Sep 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

Hang in there... a certain you know who just needs 4 more years to get things straightened out.

14. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    A couple weeks ago I applied to 9 companies, so far I have 4 interviews: one done and 3 scheduled. That's the highest callback rate I've ever had on a job search. Fingers crossed!

15. Oct 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    If it helps you any I've moved back home from Myrtle Beach and over the course of the previous month I've put in around 300 Job App's and Resume's to anyone that would take it and haven't even been called back once. IMO it's bull shit they could at least call you back and say that they aren't interested in hiring so I'm not left wondering.

16. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Don't hold your breath. If you have a stack of 200 resumes and you're interviewing 10, in addition to your regular duties and possibly double duty filling in for an open position... are you going to spend 2 days calling everyone you don't want to hire?

Call backs and rejection letters are for people who have interviewed. Before that I don't think there's an expectation that you will call them to say no thanks.

17. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Tis not what you know, its who you blow.

18. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    No matter what kind of job you get, your future emploment
    depends on how much you apply yourself after you get it. Even if you do not plan on doing the job for the rest of your life at least treat it like it is(you never know who is watching that can help later). Always do everything you can to move up.
    You get out of life what you put in it....................................

19. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    :anonymous:

It's possible. One of my instructors at the academy is employed by the agency I work for..... :eek:;)

20. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    but in today's shitty ass job market, a job's a job :anonymous:

To Top