1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How sturdy are DSLRs?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by jeremy_283, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Dec 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I got one in the other day. I've never used a DSLR before but the UPS box was beat up. Might photo quality be affected? I've never used one before so I won't be able to tell much. The box the camera came in was fine though and it was wrapped in bubble wrap and stuff too. It was a canon camera from best buy. Do I have much to worry about? Like from excessive shock?

2. Dec 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Its probably fine. As long as nothing is cracked and the lens works smoothly I wouldn't worry.

3. Dec 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Should be fine. There's plenty of padding in those boxes.

4. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    youradhere

youradhere Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    Give it a try-- any jarring of the sensor will result in entire blocks of your picture (if not the entire photo) going missing. Remember to document how the box looks though before opening anything up

Beyond that, much of that durability depends on how the camera is constructed. If it's an entry level DSLR, it's a lot more prone to damage than a pro model-- plastic construction versus some of the nikon and canon mag body cams. many of the anti dust features involve a rapid shaking of the sensor anyway, so you're pretty well covered. Hope that helps!

5. Dec 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Oh yea the bubble wrap was still good and all and not poped

6. Dec 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thought about returning it to best buy but I figured they would just return the same one back to me saying its fine. But I looked over everything cosmetically and everything inside the box was in perfect shape. So its probably ok?

7. Dec 11, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    DSLRs can take some pretty good abuse, even the entry level ones. I'm sure being rattled a bit in the box wouldn't have hurt anything. :cool:

8. Dec 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    I've been rough on mine. Never had any problems.

9. Dec 28, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    NetDep

NetDep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma Off Road MGM
    My guess would be that it is ok. If no physical damage to the camera or anything you can SEE that is broken or falling off - probably good. I have not abused my cameras but they do take some wear and tear. Take several pictures - take pictures rich in color and take pictures of something that looks like a test pattern - find a magaine or such. Do they look good? Normal? Does the camera not make any "funny" noises? Probabaly fine - but if you think you might not have confidence in the camera - take it back!! Your confidence in your gear is paramount -- test it -- if it satisfies you that is all that matters. If not - return it!! IMHO.

10. Jan 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    DSLRs are beast. The only thing that ever broke from my friend knocking it over was the lens cracking. The bodies are usually composed of magnesium alloy and poly carbonate (my D7000 is anyway).

11. Jan 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    theTupper

theTupper White and Nerdy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB Off Road PreRunner
    The bodies of DSLRs are fairly resilient...but I wouldn't bang them around more than you can help.

What you really need to be careful of is the glass you own. I've had more glass ruined by carelessness than I care to admit. *hint* Shoot with the lens hood on ALL the time...it's a wonderful guard against bumps and knocks.

Products Discussed in

To Top