1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How the heck to you remove the radio?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingston73, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    OK, so I've searched and read and read and searched, and I've tried to follow all the directions i've found, but I'm clearly doing something wrong or I'm just plain slow witted. I can get my center, black dash trim off most of the way, but I can't find any directions and can't figure out on my own how to remove it completely. It's the bottom that is giving my trouble, I have a manual and its the black trim down at the bottom, where it goes behind the ash tray and gray lower piece. I don't want to force anything and break it. Directions and pictures would be great!

2. Nov 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
    i dont have any directions or pictures (ha) but when i did mine i found out its all plastic clips and shit that hold it on, give it a nice tug itll come off, some of them are a pain in the ass

3. Nov 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
  4. Nov 29, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    there are two plastic tabs on the left and right side of the gray piece (the part with the cigarette lighters) that are near where your feet are. there's also a screw underneath the ash tray, and two more on the metal bracket that holds the ash tray in.

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
  6. Nov 29, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
  7. Nov 29, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    ecodrive

ecodrive Member

Member:
    Maui, HI
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl 5spd
    Surf Rack, Weathertech Digital Floormats, PA15-TOY USA Spec ipod/rca connector, window tint, wet okole seat covers, paddle holder
    I have a 2001 tacoma and tried to follow the directions at http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=77 however step 3 (remove ash tray and screw) was not applicable to me. That third screw is in a different location, in the bottom center of the black trim.

What i found out was that i needed to remove the lower part that holds the two cigarette lighter type plugs to get access to that third screw. Hope this helps. EDIT: The type of plugs? that hold the bottom plastic piece on can be removed by pushing in their center until its depressed and then prying the whole thing out. It should be easy to do. There are two on either side and that is all that is holding it on.

I just ordered a usaspec toy 15 audio in adapter. I will try to document it and share on TacomaWorld in the how-tos, with photos.

8. Nov 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    that thread is for older models but serves as a good reference to give enough information to anyone attempting to swap out their own stereo equipment to figure the rest out.

glad you figured the rest of it out! when i installed my new deck, amp, and sub, two days later i had a dash light go out in the tachometer. Had to rip the dash all the way apart, such a pain but once you do it once it becomes a breeze.

9. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:24 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    That's exactly the info I needed. As above, the CustomTacos thread only applies up to the ash tray instructions, that's why I was having a hard time getting it off. So the lowest grey part with the accessory plugs needs to come off too, do you have to unplug those sockets or can you just pop off the gray trim piece to fully loosen the black trim?

10. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    Pop the little rivet looking things on each side of the grey piece and then disconnect the sockets from the back, and pull it out of the way or all the way out. I usually put it in gear, and step on the break, pull back the shifter to 2 and then pull it out and over the shifter.

Products Discussed in

To Top