1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

^^ How To: AEM F/IC-6 Install, Tuning, and Help Thread

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mudthedoor, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Apr 17, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    Shortman5

Shortman5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    If you’re not getting any ping I’ll send you the base map. That will just add some safety net and will be plenty good. It’s what SplitSec and URD ship with.

2. Apr 17, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged, 2” pulley, FIC, Methanol, Transgo Shift Kit
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    Ok cool

please note that I don’t have any software to read it

3. Apr 17, 2020 at 2:00 PM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    I’ll just have to send a screen shot. You should be able to fill in min and max and auto-populate the map. Easy.

Rldanie[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 17, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    The turning software?

Attached Files:

5. Apr 17, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    Thanks but Short man is running a URD unit. I have the FIC software. He it going to send me a screenshot of his tune on his URD system and I’ll use it as a guide to program my FIC unit

but thanks for taking the time to post this and help out

6. Apr 17, 2020 at 8:59 PM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
  7. Apr 17, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    if you're not pinging you don't need to have more than this. this is just for safety.

8. Apr 17, 2020 at 10:21 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Oh. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  9. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Nice!

Thank you so much!

10. Apr 20, 2020 at 9:46 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    image.jpg
    Looks like the FIC and ECU were confused about who was in control. I changed my AFR and fuel trims so the FIC didn’t s in control %100 of the time be changing my non-boost to 14.6 with .8 fuel trim and it worked!

11. Apr 24, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    This makes more sense when trying to smooth spikes in the signal then just a resistor.

12. Apr 24, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Did you pull more and see more HP?

13. Apr 25, 2020 at 5:34 AM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    You won’t notice any difference. Technically pulling timing looses power. But you’re pulling so little it won’t matter.

You don’t have to pull any timing at all. Like I said. It’s more for safety of the motor. If you’re confident you’re not getting ping then it’s up to you.

14. Apr 25, 2020 at 5:39 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Ok cool

I’m all about safety!

15. Jun 10, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    TacoBike

TacoBike The Researcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Shingle Springs, California
    Vehicle:
    2000 3.4 Ext Cab TRD 4x4 with original SC
    ARP head studs Supercharger FIC6 AFR gauge painted fenders audio install
    Tuning open loop, I can’t find any good short explanation, closed is skewing o2 and fixing the fuel map but what is the open loop tuning like

16. Jun 11, 2020 at 4:01 AM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    Dialing in AFR to a target number if it isn’t already there. Most of the time people add fuel WOT high RPM.

You should tune so your AFR starts to enrich in closed loop at about 2-3psi and ramps to your target AFR WOT.

For ping pull timing until you no longer hear anything in the problem areas.

17. Jun 11, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    TacoBike

TacoBike The Researcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Vehicle:
    so it’s just adding fuel to the top end? And take out a few degrees in low rpm?

18. Jun 11, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    Basically. There’s no one way to do it even though some people will try to tell you their way is the best way.

Auto/manual, Drive by wire, mechanical throttle body, 2 cat/1cat, the non-tunable shit Toyota ECU and year/month made. Etc. all have an effect on how it will preform.

Just do what works best for you.

some people don’t ping so they don’t retard the timing. Some people add retard even if they don’t ping for safety. Other ping bad so they need to retard the timing.

Some people want it fat and rich so they just dump fuel all through boost. Others run leaner because it’s not necessary to run at 11AFR in boost.

others just run Water/meth injection and only rely on that.

I have my timing retarded more than most due to ping. But I lean mine out more with enrichment starting at 3psi and maxed out at 12AFR WOT. I may even lean it up more down low. Just works better for me than dumping fuel.

I also don’t fool with Water/Meth at the moment. I may just end up selling mine. I’m tired on messing with it to be honest. I just didn’t notice any real gains from it.

Don’t do anything until you have a AFR gauge. That way you know if you’re leaning out up top. If you’re an auto and live at sea level you’ll probably need some timing retard and might need a little extra fuel High RPM.

19. Jun 11, 2020 at 11:11 AM
    TacoBike

TacoBike The Researcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Vehicle:
    ok, I’ve never been able to tell when my engine was pinging, I understand what it sounds like just wondering if there is a better way to tell. Also what years are narrow vs wideband? California also

20. Jun 11, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    Shortman5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    If you have 1 cat you have narrowband. 2 cats is what people call “California” and has a wideband.

Products Discussed in

To Top