1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Become a Mechanical Engineer?!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by YoungTacoLover, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Jul 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    YoungTacoLover

YoungTacoLover [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    I thought about it, but i heard alot of bad things about it. Like people not getting there GI bill for 10 years and things like that... Id like to be out of school by 23 MAX... Which is 4 years of schooling, and an extra year just incase... considering i still will be 17 when i graduate high school, maybe take an online class in the mean time, and then start college when im 18... If i went to join the service than wouldnt i be in there for like 4-5 years?

2. Jul 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I would definitely to to a local community college then transfer to a university.. That way you can save a lot of money.. I am pretty much done with trade school to become a fully certified electrician then I plan on going to college this fall to get a bachelors in mechanical engineering technologies.

3. Jul 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    Fenrisulfr

Fenrisulfr Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW-VA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra w/ TRD 5,7L V8 4x4
    Seconded; and the CC classes will be easier so this will inflate your GPA coming in to the university.

4. Jul 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

Yep, pretty much. I don't understand why people go straight to a university..

5. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:21 AM
    Fenrisulfr

Member:
    SW-VA
    Vehicle:
    Whenever I bring this up, many argue that the 'experience' is worthwhile. University is primarily an investment given its great cost, therefore such an argument has all the gravitas of a bug on a windshield.

The price difference in credit-hours is significant and many universities require students up to a certain point to live on campus. On the margin, this sum would be borrowed, thus one is being spared not only the money but also the 6,8% interest for unsubsidised loans.

6. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Can i get more info on this prospective? Including what branch, and how long i would have to be in the service? Also would i still have the 4 years of schooling to be dealt with?? Thanks alot! I dont mind serving for my country, i learned alot about it as my Personal Trainer for Wrestling when to the Marines and out Wrestling training is almost identical to the Marines workouts... So i wouldnt be bitching if im working my ass off :oldglory:

7. Jul 2, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    That info would be better from a recruiter. If you looking at doing the college thing first you should be able to be an officer when you go into your service status. If I was looking for the schooling of it I would probably go Coast Guard or Air Force. Both branches are more civilian than military.

8. Jul 2, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I went straight to university because the school I go to is not only cheaper than the local CC, but also does not accept any of the classes at any CC.

9. Jul 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    Fenrisulfr

Member:
    SW-VA
    Vehicle:
    In Virginia, the CCs are ~$100/crh, whereas the universities range from $300-$600/crh. Transfer agreements ahead of time, on paper, are a must, otherwise the university will act on its perverse incentive to take more money.

10. Jul 2, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Hmmm Thanks alot guys, ill ask a recruiter that goes to my school every year... Though i have one more question that you guys may be able to answer, If i talked to my recruiter, enlisted as an officer would i be able to do my full 4 years of college paid by the US, though in return i have to serve 4 full years active when i complete schooling? ( or more not sure )

11. Jul 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    hey man, i didnt really read every post on here but definitely check out CC's. i know here in virginia they have 2 year programs then you can automatically get into any university in virginia to finish your 4 years...idk how it is in AZ but definitely check it out

12. Jul 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but with a 2.0 gpa or less your going to have a tough time getting into any ME program. Even if you do pull your grades up senior year ( which is easier said than done, since everyone is getting trashed) your gpa will still be pretty low.
    Your best bet would probably be to go to a cc and get really good grades. Make sure every credit will transfer, but don't take all your electives there. Save them for when you have a crazy semester at a University.

I pretty much did the same thing you did, i never tried in high school. I had a pretty low gpa when i graduated, i didn't get accepted into a University since my gpa was to low. Went to cc and got a 3.7, i easily transferred into the Rutgers Mechanical Engineering program.

Like everyone else has said be prepared to work your ass off. There will be a bunch of all nighters while your friends are partying. Something you have to get use to or your not going to make it.

Good luck

13. Jul 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:

Officers are not enlisted; they get a commission. It is a difference that will make more sense if you go in. Yes, they will pay for your schooling as long as you do serve a required number of years after your college stint. I think it was 6 years last time I heard. Your recruiter should have the basic info for what your looking for and then forward you to the nearest recruiter that handles the OCS canadites.

14. Jul 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    No thats not being a dick at all... That really helps me, its like a reflection of something i could follow. And trust me, i already make suffers for partyn aand girls and stuff. I am a VERY dedicated wrestler so ive had to stay up and practice other teams moves for championship meets, ive had to miss things for late night practices and wrestling camps. Im prepared to work my ass off and i ALWAYS love a challenge. I need to work my ass off all Senior year and ill look into the CC's in AZ that have the basic classes though not do my electives until i transfer to ASU or UOA. but say i do 2 years in CC for like math, physics, chem, all that... And then transfer... Do i still need 4 years in the M.E Program or just 2??

15. Jul 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Thanks for the Info, i will talk to my counselor about it. See what she has to say, or i need to find a person in AZ thats done the CC to University thing so i know what CC has the right classes

I can not stress how much of a help you guys are to me, i will definatly pay back to the community as much as i can. Thanks SO MUCH

16. Jul 2, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You can go enlisted and take correspondence courses. You pay and pass then get reimbursed. You can get whatever degree you like.
    Some jobs require 2,4 or 6 years of service. Get your gpa as high as you can; the entrance exam will determine if you can join and what jobs you qualify for.
    Join any branch you like, except for the marines. My marine buddy told me it doesn't matter what you sign on for, they are all grunts/infantry. Air force has the best bases and food. Navy sees more of the world, you'll be underway 6-9 months out of the year(not always continuously ). Coasties are hard to get into.

17. Jul 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Assuming everything transfers, you'll only need 2 years. Depending on what university you get into, i would suggest trying to take calc 1-3 at cc. So you have a strong math background before transferring. Depending on how tough the school is, there is a good possibility you'll fail a class or two. Which is what happened to me, there are some really difficult courses you're going to have to take. So either retake the courses over summer ( which is awful since you will have hw every night, and a test a week) or take an extra semester.

18. Jul 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Okay awesome... Im super excited about this all. My main concern for it all though is how im going to pay it, I only thought about the service being an option because it would pay for college, BUT if i could pay for it without going into the AF, or Army, Navy etc. That would be the best option! I need to look into student loans and stuff like that, see how much id have to pay per month and the interest of it. I was always told that getting a loan is bad because its like starting off life already in debt, though if i had a good degree then i can get a good job and pay it off easily. ( My mom and step dad told me this, and neither of them finished college so they obviously dont have a ton of experience about the subject ). I will also look into Scholarships and grants, i know i can qualify for a grant already because my mom has disabilties and shes technically not married so the state thinks shes alone with 3 kids to feed.

19. Jul 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    If you're going to work part time, don't push yourself with too many credits for your first semester or you're going to have a complex. It's nothing like highschool, my first assignment in my introduction to mechanical engineering class was a 6,000 word paper. I probably did 10 times the amount of studying and homework assignments in one semester of college than I did in my 4 years of high school..

20. Jul 2, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3

Yeah im prepared for all the hard work... i LOVE hardwork haha, most people are like " Ahh man this sucks " blah blah... I enjoy it, i like being pushed and tested over and over again ( Always the underdog and everyone always underestimated me, though i ALWAYS come out on top of %95 of things i do ) When someone tells me i cant do something because im too small, young, not strong enough, smart enough... etc, it encourages me to be the best i can be. So i dont think the hardwork will be a problem, maybe at first but i adapt to situations very well. And once i figure out my classes, more info about schedule and stuff. Ill talk to my manager and tell him about it and see if i can get my hours changed.

To Top