1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Black Head Light mod

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Viet2100, Dec 14, 2009.

1. May 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    It isn't a big deal. Promise.

2. May 12, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    Dude.... All that happens is the plastic gets hot. Nothing burns or melts except the adhesive holding the two halves together which gets melty like grill cheese.

3. May 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
  4. May 13, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    Italia234

Italia234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad
    It's not so much the melting it's getting it back together and my painting ability

5. May 13, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Painting part is easy. Once the headlight is apart, you just unscrew the chrome piece, lay it on cardboard, and spray away! Once it dries, screw it back together and reheat and stick the two halves back. Pretty darn easy. Painting is probably the easiest part. I don't know why some people are saying to mask parts off with tape...

6. May 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    Italia234

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad
    Yeah I don't understandthe part about taping and reflectors. Isnt it just one part you paint?

7. May 13, 2015 at 1:29 PM
    Badgtho

Badgtho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD sport 6spd
    TRD exhaust, TRD beadlock wheels, moto xtender
    Just pop them out.
    One would tape them off so that reflective chrome remains behind it.

It's not that complicated.

8. May 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Years ago I felt the same as you do @Italia234 with a different vehicle that I was modding. I wanted to remove the amber corner lenses from the stock headlight housing, which would clear the entire housing and look super clean with my Super White paint. Did some reading, found out all I have to do is spend hours scraping sealant out and risk breaking things, damaging the plastic, etc,. or I could put them in a mildly warm oven for a brief period of time so that the sealant softens up and I can get on it.

The idea of putting $500 worth of plastic in the oven, spreading the housing apart with gloves on and warm sealant possibly getting where it shouldn't be, and then the process of removing the amber lens (with a hammer and screwdriver!), then doing everything over again made me timid as fuck to attempt it. But, it wasn't nearly as bad as it was in my head. I haven't done the BHLM and likely won't, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it, set yourself aside a weekend without a truck and yank the housings Friday night, bake them and separate. Saturday morning start masking, then spray your paint and let it marinate, Sunday evening toss them back together and reinstall.

Stress and pressure to do it right should subside with giving yourself extra time. Use the time and use your head and you'll be on the road to glory.

9. May 14, 2015 at 4:46 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Wow!!! I have to admit that prior to doing it myself I was a bit leary. But now that I have done it I dont understand why I didnt do it sooner. All these catastrophe scenarios from people who admittedly havent done it are totally without merit. The process is so easy I really dont know why more people dont do it. You wont burn your house down, you wont melt your lights as long as tou place corrugated cardboard between the oven rack and the light, you wont stink up your house, you wont ignite in self imholation.

Removing the lights is not difficult (even the alleged illusive bolt underneath can be easily accessed by partially unsecuring the inner wheel well plastic on each front wheel well.

This is not rocket science people. Just Do It!!!

10. May 14, 2015 at 5:20 PM
    Italia234

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad
    Okay I work the next 3 days then have 4 days off with nothing going on. I think I'll give it a shot. What color paint are you getting the best results with a Matte black or the gloss? On the bright side the worst thing I'm out a few buck on new lights.

11. May 14, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    Italia234

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad
    If i remove the reflector I don't need to tape anything? After removing it I put it back in when paint is dry?

12. May 14, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Haha I felt the same way when I first did it too! You must have had better luck than me with that lower bolt though... that thing was a HUGE pain and I went through the wheel well as well...

Honestly man, once you pull the light apart, you'll see for yourself. Pretty self explanatory. The reflected just pops out and the chrome piece that everyone paints is unscrewed with torx screws I believe. I used matte black, I think it looks perfect. Gloss would do too.

13. May 15, 2015 at 12:29 AM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Just follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread, see page1, and it has everything you need. Be sure to use the Krylon Fusion Paint it is made specifically for plastics.....

14. May 15, 2015 at 12:31 AM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    I pulled all the reflectors and taped off underneath where they were to keep the maximum reflectivity but I painted the rest of the piece with the satin black paint. After cooking in the oven per the instructions it glossed up....

15. May 15, 2015 at 12:34 AM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah... I got the Window Weld at OReilly Auto Parts.

16. Jun 27, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    YotaBum

YotaBum Not So Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB
    Blacked Out-887-Dakars-LR UCA-FJ Trail Team wheels-285 BFG KO2
    Ok I dove in... Getting these 12+ lights out was a pain!!!

Finally got them and I'm stripping the housing.

What is this black vent thing? And more importantly, how do I remove it???

Scratch that... I just pulled up and they came off. But do I need to remove the metal dial underneath it?

C9109E77-6E64-4DF3-BC7B-170BE862C90A_zps_dc28b830113a9f664e8963dc251888e4f2df3d11.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  17. Jun 27, 2015 at 10:34 AM
    YotaBum

YotaBum Not So Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB
    Blacked Out-887-Dakars-LR UCA-FJ Trail Team wheels-285 BFG KO2
    Do I need to remove the weather stripping at the top of the housing?

18. Jun 27, 2015 at 11:35 AM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    The bkack plastic tab cover things can be remived with a pair of pliers. Go easy. The weather stripping rubber can stay on.

Good luck. Its easier than you think!

19. Jul 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    VandalTaco

VandalTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Moscow/Idaho falls, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD SPORT
    OME 887 lift, 16" XD addicts, 285 duratracs, leather seats, badass JL/Focal stereo
    Can't believe I just put my headlight into an oven! Hope this goes well....

20. Jul 4, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Make sure you have cardboard between the light and the rack!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top