1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to build an overland capable tacoma:

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by mdbutler7, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    Leman

Leman Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRDOR4x4
    I feel personally attacked on this thread :rolleyes:

O well if it takes a RTT to get my girlfriend and dog with me out in the woods for a weekend then that is money well spent.

2. Oct 10, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    stun gun

stun gun Has tardigrade DNA

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    01 glass and long travel, 2017 sr(5)
    Need those ceradyne plates and an mrap to bust a no-knock on a 65 y/o pothead.

Whatevs.

3. Oct 10, 2018 at 4:56 PM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    based on the sound knowledge presented here, i need to upgrade to a 200 series cruiser with a metric ton of upgrades in order to hit the fire road in my county for an afternoon .

Mi2CaMatt likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    GoyoGreybeard

GoyoGreybeard Active Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2018 V6 4WD OR DCSB

LOL. Congrats on stirring the pot. When engineers at Toyota Motor Corporation tell me that my truck is "Off-Road", I believe them, they are smarter than me, and probably smarter than most.

5. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    dangeroso

dangeroso Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Really? 5.11 clothing is standard issue uniform for many people in the police and security field.

Crodell6 likes this.
  6. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:40 PM
    Harvo

Harvo Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    Four Wheeling and Trail Riding was huge not so long ago. There were plenty of challenging public multi use places to do it. As locations became popular, videos of them blew up on you tube. Over use and abuse got most of them closed. As it became harder for people to find places to wheel their capable rigs, the hobby started dying off.

There was a starving aftermarket that was losing customers as hard trail riding became less popular and politically incorrect.

Over landing as we know it now was born from the marketing departments of the aftermarket 4x4 world. Simply survival through adaptation.

Now it's attractive to old school wheelers who will still take whatever adventure they can get, and new folks who are attracted to the gear. Not to say the new guys aren't attracted to the adventure, but you don't see that as the big draw anymore like you used to.

Just watch old videos versus new ones. Old "overland" videos were mostly focused on the trucks on challenging terrain and the destinations. New videos are mostly of people showing off their awnings, trailers, refrigerators, gear bag attachments, electrical and device charging systems, showers yadda yadda yadda.

That's why my favorite videos right now are 4WD Action Australia. They get it.

7. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    fire road slayers

honda50r likes this.
  8. Oct 10, 2018 at 7:08 PM
    NonTraditional

NonTraditional Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
  9. Oct 10, 2018 at 10:05 PM
    airsickbuffa1o

airsickbuffa1o Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver TRD OR
    OVtuned 1.03
    Man, this thread really put a smile on my face. I see all the IG overlander accounts and have said "I wish I could do that" ...but then I realize i do that with my stock truck. I don't have an RTT, just a small 2 person tent for me and my GF. I throw the cooler in the truck and our "go box" we use for camping and we leave NYC for points north where we can see the stars and ride some great MTB trails.. Adirondacks, NH, VT... we may not have the IG overland rig, but we do it!

10. Oct 10, 2018 at 10:13 PM
    Crodell6

Crodell6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    96 Yacoma Totota
    na
    Dude is happier than flies on horse shit.

Good for him, getting outside and having fun.

Mi2CaMatt and Gator352 like this.
  11. Oct 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    Crodell6

Crodell6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oxnard
    Vehicle:
    96 Yacoma Totota
    na
    You’re overdoing it.

A steak lightly toasted over the fire and a potato wrapped in foil set in the coals

Thunder Fist likes this.
  12. Oct 10, 2018 at 10:17 PM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
    Roooooooothy! Barnes & Noble used to carry the magazine.

13. Oct 11, 2018 at 2:42 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    This is true, I spent a good part of my career as a Nuclear Power Operator and 100% of the security force there wear 5.11 tan pants and 5.11 black polos. And while they’re not Seal Team 6, I assure you, you don’t want to test there resolve.

B1807F1D-2ACD-439D-9C9C-CDD1F8C390E3.jpg

14. Oct 11, 2018 at 2:52 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.

This... the COOLEST overland video was about these two guys who built portable barges that were small enough to carry on the roof of there FJ40’s so they could cross 2 or 3 MASSIVE rivers with their FJ’s. The way they got the rope across initially was SWIMMING!!!!!!!! The video was the guys reliving the adventure they did 40 some odd years ago and he said he wouldn’t do it again because of how many people get eaten by Crocs. He was OverlandAF!!! Let me see if I can find the Vid to link it was awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-vQ2W4Lx3c

Totally worth the 20mins if you can watch it at work and get paid at the same time. :thumbsup:

dirty deeds likes this.
  15. Oct 11, 2018 at 3:41 AM
    tetten

tetten Cynical Twat Waffle

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Socal
    Why are you so defensive? All the shit talking about "overlanders" hitting a little too close to home?

People don't like pretenders/wannabes/posers which is what a lot of the instalanders clowns are. They'll dump 10k+ in a truck and go on a couple camping trips and then sell it because it was just a fad to them. Before they sell it they'll be sure to fuck up the areas that they visited because they don't have any respect for the them. All they want are some "Likes" on Instagram so they'll do whatever it takes...... fucking up campsites, illegal offroading, breaking NPS rules, I could go on and on. I see this shit way too frequently on Instagram and in person. For us that actually enjoy the back country and have some respect for it, all we see is more closed roads, camp sites, and tighter restrictions due to these clowns fucking things up for a pathetic little ego boost.

16. Oct 11, 2018 at 5:42 AM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 SR5 AC V6 4x4
    This is the first sensible post I have read that was written by you...well actually the Anthony Bourdain tribute post was also really good....

Just kidding, but I do agree with you 100%.

Crodell6 likes this.
  17. Oct 11, 2018 at 6:17 AM
    dnlskier

dnlskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD SPORT MT
    5.11 has a fair amount of EMS and station wear. Too expensive, but they do offer good (expensive) stuff for those folks.

Holy fuck balls to the pic of the fatty "tacticool" guys./ He is happier than flies on shit :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Crodell6 likes this.
  18. Oct 11, 2018 at 6:32 AM
    dirty deeds

dirty deeds Big Blue Nation!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Northeast KY
    Vehicle:
    '14 Wht AC SR, 2.7, MT, Baja wheels
    PlastiDip front emblem, twine, and Scotch tape
    PREACH!

For the rest of ya....
    This, is driving over land: https://youtu.be/XLx-B3EBqWg

19. Oct 11, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    scocar

scocar Treat the cause, not the symptom

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Mostly pallet racks loaded with very impressive boxes, and a smashed head unit
    It's OK, I know you're new here.

20. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    mdbutler7

mdbutler7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Birmingham,AL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSB TRDOR
    Child booster seat, spilled glitter slime, chicken nugget crumbs, spilled milkshake in cupholder, and many more courtesy of daughter.
    I'm honestly surprised this thread is still going! As far as cooking a whole bunch of stuff at camp, thats honestly my favorite part of camping. Maybe I'm a fat kid.. I just have a hard time choosing instant meals over a nice juicy steak. I guess to defend it with my most accurate and honest opinion, cooking while camping is the equivalent of grilling at home. Sure your wife can cook up an easy meal, but theres a manly achievement for grilling up a thick piece of meat, knowing its 100x better than a typical meal. There's enjoyment in slapping a steak on the grill and hanging out listening to the sizzle with an ice cold beverage. Watching water boil just isn't as appealing..

Everyone is different, some organized, some not. Some over prepared, some under prepared. I actually enjoy prepping for a trip, enjoy getting my meals planned out, and putting a steak in to marinate the night before leaving. Having a 3 course meal prepared for the wife while out in the woods is as good as it gets in my opinion. I'd feel ashamed to feed her or the kiddo soggy cardboard potatoes.

Products Discussed in

To Top